• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Lightning Leveling Kits - to level the front?

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
Did not even know it was independent rear. They do not design rake for range, it is for a soft ride with no load, level with moderate load.

And yet leveling a truck is like a 5-10% hit on mpg.
Sponsored

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
I don't see any reason we couldn't use the basic 2" leveling puck front strut extensions. The aesthetics of a leveled vs raked F150 are night and day IMO. Simple levels don't have the same issues that lifts do. My current 2014 F150 is leveled and I've never had any issues with hauling or towing causing major tail sag.

Re: aerodynamics and impact on range, I read elsewhere that whereas raked vs unraked does have different drag characteristics, it shouldn't materially impact MPG or range until you're up above 65 MPH. Didn't see a source for that claim, but it seems like a reasonable conclusion. For the amount of time I spend above 65 vs below, I'll take the leveled look.

Another potential consideration for after market leveling is compatibility with Continuous Controlled Damping, which is optional on some Ford vehicles/included with higher trims. However I also read that the Lightning doesn't have/offer it, so I don't think we have to worry about it.

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
And yet leveling a truck is like a 5-10% hit on mpg.
What is the basis for this assumption? Everything I can find would indicate *leveling* isn't what results in material MPG/range loss, but rather after market larger tires/wheels typically paired with leveling is what will impact MPG/range.

OP
OP

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
I don't see any reason we couldn't use the basic 2" leveling puck front strut extensions. The aesthetics of a leveled vs raked F150 are night and day IMO. Simple levels don't have the same issues that lifts do. My current 2014 F150 is leveled and I've never had any issues with hauling or towing causing major tail sag.

Re: aerodynamics and impact on range, I read elsewhere that whereas raked vs unraked does have different drag characteristics, it shouldn't materially impact MPG or range until you're up above 65 MPH. Didn't see a source for that claim, but it seems like a reasonable conclusion. For the amount of time I spend above 65 vs below, I'll take the leveled look.

Another potential consideration for after market leveling is compatibility with Continuous Controlled Damping, which is optional on some Ford vehicles/included with higher trims. However I also read that the Lightning doesn't have/offer it, so I don't think we have to worry about it.
I agree and this is all I'm looking to do. The basic 2" or 2.5 inch leveling puck. I also think you could save some range with a bed cover.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
What is the basis for this assumption? Everything I can find would indicate *leveling* isn't what results in material MPG/range loss, but rather after market larger tires/wheels typically paired with leveling is what will impact MPG/range.
Those are my real world.numbers. I lost about 1.5 mpg leveling my truck.

Sponsored

RDeFran

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD AT4 SRW Duramax, 2010 M3
Occupation
Technician
I level and bed cover every truck I have ever owned. Not saying the 10 to 15% is not correct, but my leveled 2020 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 Duramax still does well in to the 20's on the highway unloaded at 75 to 80. Raising the front does put a small hit on aero, not nearly the hit tires do with a wider cross section or higher rolling resistance. I remember years ago having access to data from BMW. The then new 1997 528i had a regular model and Sport package. The Sport was 1" lower with wider tires and drag was .03 higher simply because of the tires.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
Thanks. Did you keep stock wheels/tires?
The wheel change was another 2 mpg.

Stock was ~20mpg
Level is ~18.5 mpg
Fat wheels/tires ~16.5 mpg

It is an Ecoboost though.

I don't know about rake to level while towing. My leveled truck doesn't squat with a 5k boat on the back.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
But also, I really hope it doesn't affect the lighting at all because I agree, a leveled truck is the way to go.
Sponsored