• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Can’t turn off Courtesy Wipe

Hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F350 diesel dually, 2020 Platinum Escape Hybr
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone else had a problem with not being able to turn off the Courtesy Wipe when the truck starts up? I’ve found the Courtesy Wipe setting but it doesn’t make any difference if it’s toggled on or off. The wipers automatically do one wipe. As our truck is kept in a garage, all this serves to do is scratch dust on the windshield and wear out the wipers
Sponsored

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Wow. Courtesy wipe. Did not know there was such a thing.
Sorry I can't help. But posts like this are driving me away from EV.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
The wipe on startup isn't the courtesy wipe. It's the automatic wipers. The courtesy wipe is an extra wipe after using the washer. You could have some mist or condensation on the windsheild turning it on.

I leave my wipers in the off position for this reason. When it starts raining, I switch them on one click and let the auto setting take over.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
This function was in my ICE F-150 too.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The wipe on startup isn't the courtesy wipe. It's the automatic wipers. The courtesy wipe is an extra wipe after using the washer. You could have some mist or condensation on the windsheild turning it on.

I leave my wipers in the off position for this reason. When it starts raining, I switch them on one click and let the auto setting take over.
This ^^^

It's amazing that courtesy wipe, which is not new, is so misunderstood by so many.

The Mach-E does the same, sometimes doing a wipe at startup. @Pioneer74's fix, of turning the automatic wipers off, is the solution.

Sponsored

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
A switch to turn off the auto wipers. That is handy.
Want it or not, ya still had to pay for it.
Like the motor to open tailgate.
Like the motor to open close frunk.
Like the motor to hide gear shift.
Trinkets.
Can the F-150 EV be ordered without the above?

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I don't think it's about "understanding" how it works so much as it's an nonsensical thing for Ford to decide is somehow beneficial or desired. I've never owned a single vehicle that modulates the wipers at startup in this fashion so it's not the fault of the owners for pointing out something that is atypical, offers no benefit and is incredibly annoying. This is how changes are made by those with the ability to do so based on feedback. They thought to give you the ability to disable the courtesy wipe (which can offer some benefit that is debatable, hence the option) but no option to disable the same wipe that seemingly offers no benefit w/o physically disabling the switch? That's just goofy thinking.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I don't think it's about "understanding" how it works so much as it's an nonsensical thing for Ford to decide is somehow beneficial or desired. I've never owned a single vehicle that modulates the wipers at startup in this fashion so it's not the fault of the owners for pointing out something that is atypical, offers no benefit and is incredibly annoying. This is how changes are made by those with the ability to do so based on feedback. They thought to give you the ability to disable the courtesy wipe (which can offer some benefit that is debatable, hence the option) but no option to disable the same wipe that seemingly offers no benefit w/o physically disabling the switch? That's just goofy thinking.
The sensor at startup senses something triggering the wipe. Could be dirt on the windshield, could be condensation. I know in my case on my ICE truck it was condensation because I parked it outside.

So, the sensor is doing what it is supposed to do. The system is doing what it's supposed to do. How is this nonsensical thinking on Ford's part? That I choose to turn the wipers off because I will allow outside forces to remove whatever the obstruction is that causes the wipe to occur is my choice, but the system is doing what it is designed to do.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Here's the problem with your argument, which is the bane of every manufacturer's existence.

First, you didn't read the responses carefully, and made incorrect assumptions. Simply turn your wiper switch to off, instead of using the rain sensor. It has ZERO to do with modulating the wipers at startup.

Second, this feature has existed for YEARS on Ford vehicles. Many, many years.

Third, it's in the manual. People don't RTFM. Then they complain they don't know how to work their $60,000, $70,000, $80,000 vehicles because they can't be bothered to RTFM.

So, in summary, there is a simple option to disable the automatic wipers, which is what this is, by simply MOVING THE SWITCH (not disabling it) to the off position.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Since 2003, I have had several vehicles from different domestic and foreign manufacturers that all use automatic wipers. I always kept the wipers switched off and activated the automatic feature only if I was getting into a rain situation. But, more often then not, I just do a single swipe when needed or just turn the wipers on.

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Really? What does this have to do with EVs?

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
The wipe when powering on is almost certainly part of the start up calibration of the rain sensing wipers. It needs to know that the sensor area is clean at start up so it can properly sense when new droplets enter the sensor view.

Toby57

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F-150 XL 101A
Occupation
retired
Trinkets.
Not needed.
I can turn on/off my wipers. I know when and when not to. I do not need the truck or an app to tell me when, or do it for me.
Same with the hood and tailgate.
You want our EV you must buy our trinkets also.
Maybe someday someone, maybe Ford, will offer an EV without all the trinkets.
Might make it more marketable.
Edit to add. In response to Firestop.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Trinkets.
Not needed.
I can turn on/off my wipers. I know when and when not to. I do not need the truck or an app to tell me when, or do it for me.
Same with the hood and tailgate.
You want our EV you must buy our trinkets also.
Maybe someday someone, maybe Ford, will offer an EV without all the trinkets.
Might make it more marketable.
Edit to add. In response to Firestop.
So you want a vehicle of the future, with tech of the past?

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Mache GTpe
Let’s try this theory. The wiper sweep is set in your personal setting. Turn off the wiper sweep and push your personal setting button on the door.
Sponsored