• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How To Turn Off Keyless Entry

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 2023.5 MachE on the way
Occupation
Service Manager
Thanks for the clarification. I agree -- they really should be careful (and precise!!) with the terms they use.
It gets worse as tech. Basic part numbers and names are different between the parts catalog and the workshop manual. Then you also have the engineering part numbers which also are different. Sometimes it is a headache.
I will say that I often lock vehicles with the keys in them for customer after hours pickup and have never ran across one that will passively unlock if you lock with the keypad. That's how we do it anyway.
Sponsored

OP
OP
FirstF150InCasco

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
It gets worse as tech. Basic part numbers and names are different between the parts catalog and the workshop manual. Then you also have the engineering part numbers which also are different. Sometimes it is a headache.
I will say that I often lock vehicles with the keys in them for customer after hours pickup and have never ran across one that will passively unlock if you lock with the keypad. That's how we do it anyway.
That's great to hear (about being able to leave they keys in the car.) That's normally how I did things with my 2013 Fusion (in case my adult sons need to borrow my car for some reason; or if they need to move it out of the way.) I'm feeling confident that you are right and that I just didn't test this carefully. (There were so many new things for me to figure out with the lightning; I loved my 2013 Fusion (I special-ordred a manual transmisstion, so it was fund to drive) but the 2013 is so un-featured compard to the 2022 Lightining; so much new stuff for me to learn!!

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
I just verified this. Put keys in the truck, locked with button on door handle, and then I couldn’t open the door and it didn’t unlock by putting my hand in the handle. Then I used my code and last two buttons on the keypad to unlock.

OP
OP
FirstF150InCasco

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I just verified this. Put keys in the truck, locked with button on door handle, and then I couldn’t open the door and it didn’t unlock by putting my hand in the handle. Then I used my code and last two buttons on the keypad to unlock.
@Beans, thanks for confirming this. I was out today and tested it and discovered that I was wrong and that you -- and others -- were right! I'll redo my "DIY Dog Mode" instructions this weekend! Thanks again!

Sponsored
OP
OP
FirstF150InCasco

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Thank you @rlbussard @Beans @Gimme_my_MME @Ford Senior Master and @Crilly , you folks were right (and I was wrong!) -- if you leave the remote in the Lightning AND you lock the Lightning with the "Keyless Entry Keypad", then you must use the Keyless Entry Keypad to unlock the truck. That will be my new mode of operation. Thanks for setting me straight.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Been doing it this way for years on ice

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
my Mom accidentally locked her key fob in her 2011 Explorer Limited - you could see the fob on the center console - but no amount of touching or clicking the door handle pad would respond.
We then realized that she had the door digital locking option, but unlike other vehicles, it was integrated into her door frame, and she never knew it was there since it doesn't respond or light up UNLESS you swipe down on it. Of course, she didn't know the code, even then.

When the lock operator quickly got her in the car, the key fob worked just fine from where it sat, allowing the vehicle to be cranked, and has worked perfectly from then on. No new battery needed, nothing - and she claims that she always used the driver door inside lock button to lock the vehicle when leaving - of course, normally with her key fob in hand or purse.
Ford says that this SHOULD NOT be allowed when the fob is within the vehicle, and we actually TRIED and TESTED this same scenario - and every time,YES, it would immediate UNLOCK the doors.

She still has no clue how she could have locked herself out when the key fob was right there on the center console, in plain sight, and certainly in plain connection with the vehicle. It's a $60 mystery.

OP
OP
FirstF150InCasco

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
my Mom accidentally locked her key fob in her 2011 Explorer Limited - you could see the fob on the center console - but no amount of touching or clicking the door handle pad would respond.
We then realized that she had the door digital locking option, but unlike other vehicles, it was integrated into her door frame, and she never knew it was there since it doesn't respond or light up UNLESS you swipe down on it. Of course, she didn't know the code, even then.

When the lock operator quickly got her in the car, the key fob worked just fine from where it sat, allowing the vehicle to be cranked, and has worked perfectly from then on. No new battery needed, nothing - and she claims that she always used the driver door inside lock button to lock the vehicle when leaving - of course, normally with her key fob in hand or purse.
Ford says that this SHOULD NOT be allowed when the fob is within the vehicle, and we actually TRIED and TESTED this same scenario - and every time,YES, it would immediate UNLOCK the doors.

She still has no clue how she could have locked herself out when the key fob was right there on the center console, in plain sight, and certainly in plain connection with the vehicle. It's a $60 mystery.
Funny story (except for the $60.) Moms will be moms.

Sponsored

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Hell, mine was $120. Was unloading my Merc Sprinter and dropped the fob on the floor from my shirt pocket as I slide the side door shut. I only realized this when the doors locked 5 seconds after shutting the door. I looked in the window and saw my sheltie standing on the fob!

OP
OP
FirstF150InCasco

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Hell, mine was $120. Was unloading my Merc Sprinter and dropped the fob on the floor from my shirt pocket as I slide the side door shut. I only realized this when the doors locked 5 seconds after shutting the door. I looked in the window and saw my sheltie standing on the fob!
Yeh, I thought $60 was cheap. $120 sounds more like it.
Sponsored