• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2022 Lightning - B&O stereo : good sound / performance? upgrading?

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several
So I traded a 2021 F150 in on the Lightning. Imho the 2021 system (not B&O)was better, much better. The system in the Lightning I think is awful. Different music sources require revising the front/rear fade to keep the system listenable for me. After using the Lighting for a couple of days my wife asked me to check and see if the rear speakers were working. I had the fade set slightly rear biased from the factor default. I moved it back further to about 90% to the rear for her, it did sound better to me and to her. She later said that some songs sound good at that setting and others don't have enough front speaker volume. We primarily use Qobuz and SirusXM.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
So I traded a 2021 F150 in on the Lightning. Imho the 2021 system (not B&O)was better, much better. The system in the Lightning I think is awful. Different music sources require revising the front/rear fade to keep the system listenable for me. After using the Lighting for a couple of days my wife asked me to check and see if the rear speakers were working. I had the fade set slightly rear biased from the factor default. I moved it back further to about 90% to the rear for her, it did sound better to me and to her. She later said that some songs sound good at that setting and others don't have enough front speaker volume. We primarily use Qobuz and SirusXM.
The B&O system in my 21 ICE was also trash, looks like it'll be the same here. Biggest thing for me there was no Bass whatsoever. For XLT and Pro they will probably be able to put in the Kicker Sub offered for the ICE

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I know I will be adding a 10 inch Subwoofer like I have in my 04 Lariot. My music is bass heavy and when I added the Subwoofer it filed out the sound for me. The lightning looks like there's less room to but a box under the seat so we will see.

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning Platinum, ā€˜21 Aviator, ā€˜23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad
Iā€™ve had the Platinum for almost a week and Iā€™m pretty impressed with the sound. Eventually I always seem to add/replace speakers in my vehicles. This one will probably be the same. I donā€™t have any plans to replace anything because the sound has been really good after making some adjustments to the eq. Front door speakers are normally easily replaceable and those would be the first Iā€™d replace. Otherwise is good enough to not consider replacing right now.

MNLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Several
Iā€™ve had the Platinum for almost a week and Iā€™m pretty impressed with the sound. Eventually I always seem to add/replace speakers in my vehicles. This one will probably be the same. I donā€™t have any plans to replace anything because the sound has been really good after making some adjustments to the eq. Front door speakers are normally easily replaceable and those would be the first Iā€™d replace. Otherwise is good enough to not consider replacing right now.
Changing "Stereo" to "Surround" and setting the fade to close to this setting yielded the best SQ for us. Changing to Surround helped fill the thin sound from the rear speakers and seemed to add some range and depth to the front speakers.

My previously somewhat sharp criticism of the sound system was based on it being in the Stereo setting. I think the improvement was substantial and I'll have to do another back to back with the Rivian.

Tenetke, if your setting was on "Stereo" and you were happy with the sound, well god bless you :) Also the equalizer having just 3 bands puts in more inline with what I would refer to as TONE controls.

All my sound comparisons are done using Qobuz and SiriusXM as the sources.
Ford F-150 Lightning 2022 Lightning - B&O stereo : good sound / performance? upgrading? IMG-7139

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning Platinum, ā€˜21 Aviator, ā€˜23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad
Changing "Stereo" to "Surround" and setting the fade to close to this setting yielded the best SQ for us. Changing to Surround helped fill the thin sound from the rear speakers and seemed to add some range and depth to the front speakers.

My previously somewhat sharp criticism of the sound system was based on it being in the Stereo setting. I think the improvement was substantial and I'll have to do another back to back with the Rivian.

Tenetke, if your setting was on "Stereo" and you were happy with the sound, well god bless you :) Also the equalizer having just 3 bands puts in more inline with what I would refer to as TONE controls.

All my sound comparisons are done using Qobuz and SiriusXM as the sources.
IMG-7139.jpeg
Unfortunately a few years ago I went went from hearing in both ears to losing 90% hearing in my right ear. So I try not to respond too much on stereos and how they sound nowadays haha
Iā€™m going to try the surround setting!!

Lavaorange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Miata, Lightning Lariat
I'm already prepared to be disappointed in the Lariat's B&O sound and plan to upgrade a few key speakers and add add an amp. Budget approx $1,200 installed. Hopefully no sub as I prefer not to lose any interior space. I have yet to hear any system that come close to the optional B&W system in our Volvo. It wasn't a cheap option but a priority for me and I feel worth every penny. When I'm on my own in it I sound line a teenager driving around (but still playing good music). ;)

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I'm already prepared to be disappointed in the Lariat's B&O sound and plan to upgrade a few key speakers and add add an amp. Budget approx $1,200 installed. Hopefully no sub as I prefer not to lose any interior space. I have yet to hear any system that come close to the optional B&W system in our Volvo. It wasn't a cheap option but a priority for me and I feel worth every penny. When I'm on my own in it I sound line a teenager driving around (but still playing good music). ;)
You can put a sub in the stock location without losing space, although it would have to be a shallow one.

Last edited:

TheJackel2013

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Iā€™m lucky to have had both.

I had the regular B&O in my 2021 Lariat. It was fine. Bass was a little thin and the dynamic range just wasnā€™t fantastic. It was an OK factory system. But unimpressive considering it was an ā€œupgradeā€ with my Lariat

I have the B&O unleashed in my Lightning Platnium now. The range is greatly improved, especially the bass. I can see that if you listen to a lot of Rap or Hip Hop, it may still not be enough. For me itā€™s plenty. The soundstage and realism is also greatly improved. Likely a function of just having more speakers. Vocals do sound like they are more coming from center stage.

I can imagine that there will still be people disappointed with the Unleashed. For me, itā€™s great. I couldnt answer if itā€™s worth the upgrade price. And I do admit itā€™s not as good as some systems from other manufacturers (ie Lexus) but it is a noticeably ā€œpremiumā€ experience.

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
Good thing that I am older and don't hear as well I guess. I don't concern myself with those trivial things anymore. It might have been a big deal when I was younger and I would have ripped it all out and put something else in, but I tend to listen to my music pretty low volume to where you can still have a normal voice conversation with people in the car.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Iā€™m lucky to have had both.

I had the regular B&O in my 2021 Lariat. It was fine. Bass was a little thin and the dynamic range just wasnā€™t fantastic. It was an OK factory system. But unimpressive considering it was an ā€œupgradeā€ with my Lariat

I have the B&O unleashed in my Lightning Platnium now. The range is greatly improved, especially the bass. I can see that if you listen to a lot of Rap or Hip Hop, it may still not be enough. For me itā€™s plenty. The soundstage and realism is also greatly improved. Likely a function of just having more speakers. Vocals do sound like they are more coming from center stage.

I can imagine that there will still be people disappointed with the Unleashed. For me, itā€™s great. I couldnt answer if itā€™s worth the upgrade price. And I do admit itā€™s not as good as some systems from other manufacturers (ie Lexus) but it is a noticeably ā€œpremiumā€ experience.
I have the Unleashed in my 2021 ICE Lariat. I think it's terrible. The whole Soundstage is off. 90% of the sound comes from the center channel speaker with minimal stereo effects, even in surround mode. The single option on my truck I wished I hadn't paid for.

Skidrowe

First Name
Gideon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning ER, 2014 Honda Pilot
How do those soft sounding voices of the NPR reporters play on this system. I hope it doesn't mess up the relaxing delivery of their content, otherwise I'll be forced to look for something aftermarket and that would be a shame.

williams

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Powerboost F-150
Occupation
Ford Sales
I have the unleashed in my powerboost, and knowing my lariat will have the lesser system actually makes me happy. Why you ask, because its less to rip out and throw into a lake. The unleashed was tuned by someone who is completely tone deaf with zero time alignment, the base B&O at least has less to throw away.

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I have the Unleashed in my 2021 ICE Lariat. I think it's terrible. The whole Soundstage is off. 90% of the sound comes from the center channel speaker with minimal stereo effects, even in surround mode. The single option on my truck I wished I hadn't paid for.
Well - I've had a week with the truck and while several things need improvement, the stereo is at the top of the list. For an $80K truck and a company that has been building for over 100 years I don't understand why they think they need to pay some big name company for garbage sound.

The clarity is decent, but as @Pioneer74 noted the sound stage is horrible. That center channel is crazy.

I have to compare to Tesla, it is done in house or at least with NO brand names on it. No one can even find who makes the speakers for them. The sound field is done right, decent sub/bass, nice volume, built right in to the main computers, 100% integrated.

The amp and sub are pathetic.
Ford F-150 Lightning 2022 Lightning - B&O stereo : good sound / performance? upgrading? IMG_1689
Ford F-150 Lightning 2022 Lightning - B&O stereo : good sound / performance? upgrading? IMG_1691
Ford F-150 Lightning 2022 Lightning - B&O stereo : good sound / performance? upgrading? IMG_1692
Sponsored