• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

2022 Platinum vs 2023 Lariat?

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E GTPE. 2023 F-150 Lightning
I have a 2023 Lariat standard range battery w/ Blue Cruise on order (September build date) which will qualify for the tax credit. There is a used 2022 Platinum with 3,000 miles for sale at a nearby dealer. They are asking $84,000, but I think I might be able to get them down closer to $80,000. The main advantage of purchasing the Platinum is getting an extended battery. Of course, there is no tax credit for the used Platinum.

Given the rather substantial valuation hit on used Lightnings, do you think purchasing a used Platinum is better than getting a new Lariat?
Sponsored

EdRudy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Lightning ER Iced Blue Silver
Occupation
IT
Does the Platinum come fully loaded or are the deletes part of the package? If no deletes I would choose Platinum.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Unless you need the extra range, I would stick with the Lariat. Especially if the Platinum is still being built without the massage seats.

Warp Asylum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Engineer
I just went through a similar thought process, except I had a 23 Platinum on order. With the price increases, I was on the fence about actually buying it when it came in.

I ended up with a 22 Lariat ER /w ~5400 miles for a good price. If you look nationwide, they can be found for only slightly more than a used 22 Lariat SR with similar miles. Shipping was $1k from IL to TX, which isn't bad. I probably would've spent just as much to fly there and drive it back, and dealers in my area were overpriced in comparison.

No regrets buying lightly used, and I won't lose anywhere near as much money if I decide that I can't live without a 25 when they come out. :)

Reactions: GDN

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
This is where I am at with my pro, I'm supposed to be paying $53k for it and used 22 XLT which have a lot more equipment, including the smart scales, are getting into the low to mid $50s. Can't even find a used pro for under $60.

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
22 Platinum all day.

smaster553

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 2021 CA Route 1 Space White, F150 Lightning
I have a 2023 Lariat standard range battery w/ Blue Cruise on order (September build date) which will qualify for the tax credit. There is a used 2022 Platinum with 3,000 miles for sale at a nearby dealer. They are asking $84,000, but I think I might be able to get them down closer to $80,000. The main advantage of purchasing the Platinum is getting an extended battery. Of course, there is no tax credit for the used Platinum.

Given the rather substantial valuation hit on used Lightnings, do you think purchasing a used Platinum is better than getting a new Lariat?
Go for the Platinum. That 5k extra and getting ER battery will go a long way.

Enjoy the Plat features and take the ER as in years to come no one would want to buy a truck with 240 mile range when the standard will be 400-500 miles in all cars.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
This is a no-brainer. Get the platinum. Being a '22 it *SHOULD* still have all the items that were deleted from the '23 (scales, security intrusion sensor, etc..) and will have nicer seats. Plus the ER battery!

Buying a new '23 at current prices and with the feature deletes, I wouldn't recommend a '23 platinum as all you get is a slightly upgraded, but still kinda crappy sound system and the nicer leather, oh and the bigger wheels. But a '22 at a good price is the way to go.

With 3000 miles, I'm guessing this truck is a demo/ mannequin? You should still be able to get the Ford Charge Station Pro included or sent to you.

If you think you can get it for about $80K, that puts it close to what you're probably paying for the '23 Lariat. The loss of the tax credit may be a deal breaker, but I think that should more than be made up for by the larger battery and stuff you'll get.

ridgebackpilot

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Conservationist
I have a 22 Lariat with the extended range battery, which I bought Gold Certified pre-owned at my favorite dealership. You’ll definitely want the ER battery on this truck. Especially with new EV trucks like the Chevy Silverado and Dodge RAM coming out with a lot more range.

I can’t qualify for the tax credit this year anyway, no matter the price of the truck. In any case, I don’t think the tax credit is worth sacrificing important features just to keep the purchase price low enough. That said, I looked at the Platinum and didn’t think the new price was justified, but used is a different matter. I had a 2020 Platinum diesel before my Lightning and it was a terrific truck. My kids liked the seat massage feature!

Good luck and let us know what you decide!
Sponsored