• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

700 mile trip from Chicago to upstate NY

AdmiralYamo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord V6 EX-L 2015
Wanted to drop a trip report from Chicago to Upstate NY.

Takeaway: Yes I would do it again. ~$220 in charging costs and $$ in tolls. Would fly and rent a car if flights are cheap.

Summary:
Outbound Trip
Lariat ER. 14k miles.
729 mile trip on dec 28th Google Maps estimated 11hrs 30min. Completed in 14hrs door to door (2.5hrs non travel). 3 charge stops. 40-50min each. Used EA (stop 1), EA (stop 2), EA/Evolve NY (stop 3). All chargers were operable. Some stations were offline or derated but all the slots i had were open.

Return trip
727 mile trip on dec 31st. Google maps estimated 11hrs 45min. Completed in 16hrs 30min. (4hrs 45min non travel). 5 charge stops 30 to 40min ea. Used Tesla MagicDock, free dealer chargers, and EA. Some trouble with 350kw chargers only outputting 30kw. Also in Ohio, stations state per minute but charge per kwh.

Started at 100% and made it to the Indian River stop in ohio on rt 90. Great 170kw charge there.

Left at 80% and continuted to the east side of cleveland. Stopped and charged st 125kw. Uneventful.

Stopped at Olean, NY and got a 170kw charge.

Arrived home.

Im on my way back and it's a very different story... having started at 40% in the middle of a charging desert.

Leaving today Dec 31st. Limited to no infrastructure in my hometown. Stopped by the waterloo outlet mall. All chargers were taken and one was down. Limped to Rochester but the 62kw chargepoint was derated to 23k at the bmw dealer (went to meet a friend anyway so didnt care).

Limped over to the tesla charger in Batavia. Charging at 135kw on magicdock. Good performance. Few places to eat.

Stopped at Erie, PA walmart charger. Tight squeeze to get the truck in and someone was charging at 50kw on the 350kw. They left and i swapped to their station and pulled 170kw.

Stopped in sheffield, Ohio EA by the giant eagle. Again... 350kw combined station pulled 30kw. Moved to the next station 350kw and pulled 170kw.

Stopped at indian river rest stop on ohio turnpike. Charged to 85% hoping i could get home. Needed to stop in southbend. Pulled 170kw again while the rivian who pulled up to the next station only got 40kw on the 350kw.

Stopped at south bend, IN. One of my most hated stops being so far off the highway (10min detour) but spent 20 min and pulled 170kw. Charged to 70%.
Made it home alright. After 16.5hrs.

Some things i noticed that's helpful.

Truck is quite accurate on range when traveling consistently.
Youre better off sprinting between charge stops if youre on a long trip instead of eaking out every little electron. If the truck is using 30kw to travel at cruise speed and you pull 170kw while stationary. Then you definitely gain time by just getting to the next stop quicker.
Holiday travel wasnt bad. I was expecting more business at the chargers during new years.
Headwinds traveling west ate into my efficiency by about 25% and i did not plan for that.
Bluecruise has drastically reduced my driver fatigue over traditional cruise control in my older 2015 honda accord with no lane centering. I believe bluecruise has moved my driving endurancr needle from 8hrs to 16hrs alone with this feature.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

Summary:
720 mile trip on dec 28th Completed in 14hrs door to door. 3 charge stops. 40-50min each. Used EA (stop 1), EA (stop 2), EA/Evolve NY (stop 3). All chargers were operable. Some stations were offline or derated but all the slots i had were open.

Started at 100% and made it to the Indian River stop in ohio on rt 90. Great 170kw charge there.

Left at 80% and continuted to the east side of cleveland. Stopped and charged st 125kw. Uneventful.

Arrived home.

Im on my way back and it's a very different story...

Leaving today Dec 31st. Limited to no infrastructure in my hometown. Got a free charge in Rochester but the 62kw chargepoint was derated to 23k...

Limped over to the tesla charger in Batavia. Charging at 135kw... will continue this log later...
How did you park in Batavia? I always pull in to the furthest left spot sideways, which blocks no one behind me. That spot has always been open, not sure you'd fit anywhere else?

OP
OP

AdmiralYamo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord V6 EX-L 2015
How did you park in Batavia? I always pull in to the furthest left spot sideways, which blocks no one behind me. That spot has always been open, not sure you'd fit anywhere else?
Had to get super close to the charger to the point the parking noise was constant. I didnt realize there was a handicap spot on the left side originally and i had blocked that and parked sideways. That worked great for the cord... but realized i shouldnt have done that and moved it.

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
I have also found that if two adjacent Supercharger slots are open, the charge cord will reach if i pull nose in, to the slot on the right, all the way forward, the cord from the slot on the left will reach.

This certainly is a temporary method and it is kind of antisocial but it does work.

Hank42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
If you want to divert the haters when you occupy two stalls, place an out of order note on the blocked stall. Yeah, not 100% nice, but since nobody can access it while you're charging at the adjacent stall, it might diffuse some anger and anxiety.

Sponsored

VTRedWingsFan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Escape
Occupation
IT delivery
On my road trips back home(WNY) , I’ve had good luck with EA in Victor(out of your way), and the EA in Cheektowaga by the Walden Ave Walmart.

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat

Summary:
Lariat ER. 14k miles.
720 mile trip on dec 28th Completed in 14hrs door to door. 3 charge stops. 40-50min each. Used EA (stop 1), EA (stop 2), EA/Evolve NY (stop 3). All chargers were operable. Some stations were offline or derated but all the slots i had were open.

Arrived home.

Im on my way back and it's a very different story...

Leaving today Dec 31st. Limited to no infrastructure in my hometown. Got a free charge in Rochester but the 62kw chargepoint was derated to 23k...

Limped over to the tesla charger in Batavia. Charging at 135kw... will continue this log later...
In Batavia did you use the Tesla MagicDock?

Sponsored

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Yes. MagicDock. Very easy. Never used it before. Entered card info. And got going. Ran around 120kw. Id stop again but wish the magicdock would hit 170kw like EA does.
MagicDock with the Lightning probably will not do more than 120ish. Don't know anyone that has mentioned doing better.
Sponsored