• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

9AM; SmartCap install. 10:30AM in the Snow Zone!

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
It's fairly light (about 200 lbs) and sits essentially within the same wind profile as the cab. I suspect it will be a very minimal penalty if any at all (I think the turbulence of the open bed would be worse).
Love the ideas of this bed cap. 200# seems comparable to a fiberglass topper.

I would think the "positive pressure vent" on top would cause some extra turbulence, but, like you say, an open bed would be worse. Any rain leakage from that area?

The third brake light...very involved instructions show using cabling, connectors, and fuse inside the cab. I wonder why they do not clip onto a trailer connector light wire?

So the cab mounted pickup bed light and camera have a full view of inside the SmartCap? I love that design if the bed camera can keep an eye on what is inside the covered bed.
https://www.na.rsismartcap.com/products/smartcap-evo

31 page install guide F-150:
https://www.rsismartcap.com/uploads/I-SHEET-NA-F2-V10.pdf

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
Well, it leaks. A LOT. I'm sure it's install related, and I can see some roll to parts of the gasket that sits on the bed sides, so I think they set it down and then slid it rather than setting it straight down. I am waiting to hear back from the shop but assume I will have to take it in sooner than later for a retry :( Almost there...
Can you tell if the water leaks are from the perimeter or the seams?
Also, does RSI now supply the proper wiring to attach to the Lightning - previously it said no harness included ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zaptor

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER and 2023 Lightning XLT ER
Occupation
Rodeo clown
Can you tell if the water leaks are from the perimeter or the seams?
Also, does RSI now supply the proper wiring to attach to the Lightning - previously it said no harness included ?
From the gasket between the canopy and bed, not from where the panels connect to one another

There is still no harness, just a promise of one in the future, so no CHMSL for the time being.

OP
OP
Zaptor

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Rodeo clown
I would think the "positive pressure vent" on top would cause some extra turbulence, but, like you say, an open bed would be worse. Any rain leakage from that area?

The third brake light...very involved instructions show using cabling, connectors, and fuse inside the cab. I wonder why they do not clip onto a trailer connector light wire?
No leakage evident from the vent so far. Seems well engineered.

Not sure about the trailer wiring option to t-tap, makes sense to me too, but I bet they tried and the ECU didn't like that or something.

Sponsored

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
OP
OP
Zaptor

Zaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Rodeo clown
Unfortunately after the second 'install' it still leaks quite a bit. I reached out to SmartCap and discovered that the South African holiday runs from December 15th through January 8th so I guess I am in a holding pattern with a leaky lid :(
Sponsored