• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

A2Z/Lectron Supercharger Adapter experiences?

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired Pilot
I want nothing to do with Ford's payment service. Tesla offers a 25% discount subscription for $12.99 in a similar fashion to EA and others. That'll pay for itself in the first charge or two, so I'd pay a huge premium travelling with Ford's payment system.

Nah. I'll just use Tesla's app like I did with EA. This is their Manchester, NH location. Most others are cheaper; the Member rate for most of the ones on my route is $0.32/kWh.

1709342939484.png
I am with you, I will only use Tesla's app since Ford's OTA is in a failed state. What a joke, we have to use another company's app to get this system to work. How sad
Sponsored

husky10101

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 diesel & 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Am I to believe since I can not receive OTA Updates that I can still use the superchargers with the Tesla app and just pay them directly? Is the Ford OTA app only for paying Tesla via the Ford network?
Yes you can still use the superchargers with the Tesla app.

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
such a pity to have to rely on Tesla's app to pay since Ford can't get the OTA problem resolved for 2023 Lightnings. Letting the competition show them up again.
I’ve never gotten OTA updates before, but this one downloaded and installed flawlessly. I don’t think lack of OTA updates is a technical problem- I think Ford doesn’t want to do the updates, for some reason of theirs.

Bigisland Guy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat SR Build group 10/24/2022
Occupation
Property Mgmt
Used the A2Z adaptor last night some thoughts:

1. Only use at Tesla stations on Ford maps, tried at a Telsla supercharge station not on the map and didn't work, but did work at one on the map.
2. Best to activate from ford screen in the car and not your Tesla app, interfaces is easier.
3. A2Z Locking switch is stiff so work it in.
4. Aim for the spots left of the chargers and use your front camera and audible warning yes you will need to get within 10 inches of the chargers since the adaptor sticks out.
5. As of today's date Only our Ford and Tesla were able to charge and not our Hyundai.

These are just some first time use observations.

OP
OP

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER

1. Only use at Tesla stations on Ford maps, tried at a Telsla supercharge station not on the map and didn't work, but did work at one on the map.
2. Best to activate from ford screen in the car and not your Tesla app, interfaces is easier.
3. A2Z Locking switch is stiff so work it in.
4. Aim for the spots left of the chargers and use your front camera and audible warning yes you will need to get within 10 inches of the chargers since the adaptor sticks out.
5. As of today's date Only our Ford and Tesla were able to charge and not our Hyundai.

These are just some first time use observations.
How were the charging speeds?

Sponsored

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Pilot
Yes you can still use the superchargers with the Tesla app.
So if I have the "Blue Oval" account set up for 'plug and charge, how will Tesla know what to do when I plug in? Do the two conflict or do I have to initiate the link on the Tesla app to get Tesla involved? I would much rather pay Tesla directly since they have a membership price

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer

Yeah, it only works at the supercharger locations shown in the map as open to CCS. Currently that's all V4 pedestals and about 40% or so of V3 pedestals. Some V3 units still need upgrades that they're rolling out. V2 pedestal hardware is not supported and won't be -- Tesla will be upgrading those charger pedestals to V4 hardware or newer as they continue to build their network.

As of right now, the only non-Teslas that have access are Ford. Seeing a few people with other EVs trying with the A2Z adapter and it's a no-go. Rivian gets access this month. Mercedes and GM get access "soon". Rivian has a weird disclaimer on theirs regarding the adapters. Saying that you can only use their adapter to charge at Tesla stations. I don't know if their wording saying you need to use an approved adapter is overly strong or if it truly only works with their adapter. They're sending adapters out for free like Ford.

Last edited:

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
So if I have the "Blue Oval" account set up for 'plug and charge, how will Tesla know what to do when I plug in? Do the two conflict or do I have to initiate the link on the Tesla app to get Tesla involved? I would much rather pay Tesla directly since they have a membership price
You need to turn off the plug n charge. Then you can initiate charging in the app if you subscribe to their plan. Same with EA charging when you subscribe to their Pass+ plan. The discount does not pass thru via Plug N Charge.

I have a bunch of supercharger credits in my Tesla account that expire later this year. I wonder if I can use them to charge my Ford? I'm thinking yes, but will try when I get my adapter.

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Pilot
You need to turn off the plug n charge. Then you can initiate charging in the app if you subscribe to their plan. Same with EA charging when you subscribe to their Pass+ plan. The discount does not pass thru via Plug N Charge.

I have a bunch of supercharger credits in my Tesla account that expire later this year. I wonder if I can use them to charge my Ford? I'm thinking yes, but will try when I get my adapter.
Thank you, Monkey, that clears it up. I am 9184 and that was at 11:30a on the first day....did you do better? Their site kept crashing

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Thank you, Monkey, that clears it up. I am 9184 and that was at 11:30a on the first day....did you do better? Their site kept crashing
#936 - April delivery. Just happened to be looking at my phone an a post about the adapter popped up so I jumped on it. I got my order in easy, but seemed to be right as the site started crashing. I did not get the confirmation email so was stressing it for a few hours until we figured out the link to check the order. I got finally got my confirmation email much later later that night, like 15 hours after my order.

Schroederhc1

First Name
Cordell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER, 1990 911 Targa
Occupation
Self Employed
I reserved my adapter from Ford, but it won't get there until after I leave on a couple of planned trips. I'm thinking about ordering the A2Z or Lectron adapter to use on my trips, and maybe sell on eBay after my Ford-supplied adapter arrives.

For those who have them, how has your experience been? I know it's early, but I'm sure at least a handful of people have tried them out. Would you buy one again?

I'd rather not spend the money, but some peace of mind while towing may be worth the cost.
Worked like a champ

Ford F-150 Lightning A2Z/Lectron Supercharger Adapter experiences? IMG_1486

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Pilot
Does anyone know if I am plug and charge in the Blue Oval network, would it be cost saving to be a member of EA to reduce the cost when using their chargers? I would only do that if there are no Tesla charging stations available so not sure if it is a great idea. Your thoughts anyone?

OP
OP

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Does anyone know if I am plug and charge in the Blue Oval network, would it be cost saving to be a member of EA to reduce the cost when using their chargers? I would only do that if there are no Tesla charging stations available so not sure if it is a great idea. Your thoughts anyone?
I didn't' find a way to get EA member pricing using Blue Oval last fall. I disabled P&C and used the EA to activate with my my Pass+ membership. The savings pay for the $8 monthly fee in a single charge.
Sponsored