• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

AM radio solution?

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
In the run to the super bowl, I've found myself listening to more AM sports radio than I had in a while. The MY22 I am driving has AM sounding perfect one minute, then drops signal in the weirdest places. I didn't realize this was an EV issue, but I don't know what's worse, having AM radio that randomly and intermittently sounds awful or not having AM radio?
Sponsored

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
As others have mentioned, many EVs makers are moving away from AM radios. When I first heard of this a year or two ago, I was a bit surprised as our 2017 Focus Electric has an AM radio and though there is clearly some electric-drive related noise in some situations where the received signal is on the weak side, it is not significantly worse than the ignition noise that can sometimes be heard on an AM radio with an ICE vehicle.

I still use the AM radio as I prefer the traffic reports from one station in our area, but quite frankly, the sound is better if I just use the app on my phone and listen that way, albeit about 15 seconds later. We don't subscribe to satellite radio, which is needed to get traffic conditions on the navigation system. I usually use a streaming app for music as it sounds better than satellite radio which sounds too tinny to me.