• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Anybody Used V2H Yet?

EVTruckGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I know many people still need to have the appropriate hardware installed in their homes, but I'm wondering if anybody has tried to use the V2H feature to power their homes yet.

Have any of you tried it?

If so, let us know how it went.

Ford F-150 Lightning Anybody Used V2H Yet? maxresdefault
Sponsored

jdarmstrong

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 F150 4.6L V8 FX2, 2018 BMW X5
Occupation
Senior Systems Administrator
According to the interview that Darren Palmer did on State of Charge earlier this week there have only been 2 known installs for the home backup system.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
I wish we had the lightning and V2H already.

Lost power this morning - and it won't be back for a few more hours. Had to drag out the generator. Technically I could run the AC on this generator, but it is probably best that I don't.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
No way. I was induced to buy the truck in large part due to this reported feature. Then I found out what SunRun was like to deal with. Then I found out it was going to cost over $12,000. Then I found out that $12,000 worth of equipment was proprietary to SunRun and useful only to the Ford lightning, so if in six months I decided to sell my truck, and have a $12,000 paperweight.

I would’ve overcome any one of these three issues, don’t know if I would’ve over come any two of them, but sure as hell won’t overcome all three

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Something isnt making sense though looking at all the documentation. Why would anybody buy the HIS? It has a max output of 37A, which is pretty substandard for a 98 or 131kWh battery bank. It also doesnt look like it even uses the vehicle as the battery bank since the wiring diagram is listed with a battery.

The only "good thing" that I found out is that with a CSP, it seems we can feed our solar panels direct into a stand alone CSP and DC Charge the truck at a max rate of 37A if there is enough solar panels. Ah so interesting.
It uses a battery to keep the system alive while switching over during grid failure. If you lose the grid at your home, the HIS still has to perform some tasks - it needs to command the truck to connect the battery to the CCS DC terminals, perform safety checks in the FCSP, the inverter needs to stay running so it doesn't have to go through its boot sequence again, and the grid disconnect needs to operate to safely isolate your grid connection at your home. That battery is only used to power the components of the HIS to put everything in V2H mode properly.

The inverter is rated at 10 kW, so seems right that you'd use a 40A breaker.

Where are you reading that the FCSP does direct DC charging to the truck? From all the technical documentation I'm reading, no equipment in the HIS solution does direct DC charging and it relies upon AC charging to charge the truck. The documentation isn't as good as I would like, but I'd appreciate a pointer to the specific document that says it charges via DC. DC connection to the truck's battery is required, but that appears to be only used for feeding DC to the inverter to power your home - the DC terminals are normally not connected to the FCSP except in that mode.

Sponsored

Sdgolfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Zr2
For what it’s worth sunrun told me you can’t charge the truck when the grid is down which would agree with flasherz.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Sunrun is liable for a lawsuit for false advertising if thats the case. There is no point to HIS in that case. In fact here are screenshots from SunRuns website that literally say "EV charging" among other things. Here are the screenshots. I am willing to bet the FCSP is more than capable of bidirectional passthrough for DC.

Attached at the spec sheets for the Delta BDI that is used for the SunRun installation. The diagram also shows a 2 way arrow for the power portion going to and from the BDI from the EVSE.

Edit: The FCSP SunRun installation instructions seem to confirm that the FCSP is capable of passing through 37A DC, 600V or approx 22kWh DC. The BDI Inverter says the max it can give output is 10-15kWH DC. The link below also details charging the truck with solar panels.

https://investors.sunrun.com/news-e...rs-with-ford-to-provide-seamless-installation
That's the first reference I've seen to integrated DC-DC converter for charging, so it appears it can do it directly. Intresting - looks like they updated their docs lately.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
That's the first reference I've seen to integrated DC-DC converter for charging, so it appears it can do it directly. Intresting - looks like they updated their docs lately.
if it can charge the truck from my solar in the case of an extended outage, that’s an attractive perk
Sponsored