• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Available power when low battery and cold

AdmiralYamo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord V6 EX-L 2015
Question for the community. Is it expected as the battery gets to about 50% and below the available power is slowly reduced further and further as the battery depletes? And temp is probably affecting it too?

It's about 30f here in Chicago and I noticed the power drop to 95% then 90 then 85 then 80 as the battery% continued to lower.
Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Question for the community. Is it expected as the battery gets to about 50% and below the available power is slowly reduced further and further as the battery depletes? And temp is probably affecting it too?

It's about 30f here in Chicago and I noticed the power drop to 95% then 90 then 85 then 80 as the battery% continued to lower.
I haven’t experienced this driving 100+/- miles @ ~74 mph @ approx. 30 degF. I saw ~1.4 mi/kWh, but no reduct in available Power.

There maybe something else going on, but I’ll interested in any comments from our colleagues in Alaska, Canada and the upper Midwest…..

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L PRO, VW ID.4

I've noticed this too when I cold start my SR in VT.

OP
OP

AdmiralYamo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord V6 EX-L 2015
I notice this happens on my polaris ev as it gets colder out. Stomp on the electric with a full charge when it's hot it just goes. In the winter you stomp on it it'll sputter because it seems like the battery can't put out enough juice. I'll send pics today.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yes, both cold and state of charge (% battery) can reduce available power. In warmer weather this usually happens around 30% (in my ER Lariat). I haven't gotten below 50% in colder weather yet to see the impact.

In our Mach-e GT, any temp below ~70F and it starts to limit power. For most of the winter we live with a ~40% to 50% power reduction unless you precondition (then it is down to 10% to 20% power reduction.

Sponsored

Akbrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
I haven’t experienced this driving 100+/- miles @ ~74 mph @ approx. 30 degF. I saw ~1.4 mi/kWh, but no reduct in available Power.

There maybe something else going on, but I’ll interested in any comments from our colleagues in Alaska, Canada and the upper Midwest…..
Power to motors seems to drop with HVB Battery temperature irregardles of SOC. In my experience. 85% SOC 95% battty power at 27 HVB temp. 90% power at 22 HVB Temp.

Jeremybj

First Name
Jeremy Bjerke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat 511A
This is only my 4th day with my 22 lariat ER truck. I'm in South Dakota and it was 10 degrees last night. At 70 percent state of charge last night the power was cut to 93%. I'm guessing it's cause the battery was cold. I was just bombing around town a little.

Jeremy
Sponsored