• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Baby the motors? First time EV questions.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge, Camry
The vehicle will do everything it can to not let you break it.

The two easy things that you can help control are battery temperature, and battery charge.

1) The battery doesn't like to be excessively hot or cold. It has it's own HVAC system, but can always use help.
2) Don't let the vehicle sit at 100% charge, if possible. 20% to 80% is ideal. If you know you are going to use the vehicle soon, charge to 100% on those occasions. This helps lengthen battery life and battery capacity.
Thanks, that's valuable advice. Mind some follow up?

1) I read this as: if my garage is hot then put a fan or somehow help cool the batteries, and if garage is cold, put some heat on them (ideally). Is that what you mean?

2) I'm guessing I'll be able to set it up to only charge to 80% at night (unless I choose to change it)? That is, this is well known best practice for batteries and so will probably be programmable somehow (app, in-car software)?

I could probably dig around and find the answer to the 2nd one, but since you're right here...=)

And thanks again.
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Thanks, that's valuable advice. Mind some follow up?

1) I read this as: if my garage is hot then put a fan or somehow help cool the batteries, and if garage is cold, put some heat on them (ideally). Is that what you mean?

2) I'm guessing I'll be able to set it up to only charge to 80% at night (unless I choose to change it)? That is, this is well known best practice for batteries and so will probably be programmable somehow (app, in-car software)?

I could probably dig around and find the answer to the 2nd one, but since you're right here...=)

And thanks again.
The batteries will cool or heat themselves depending on what they need. You might go into the garage and hear noises from the car, nothing to be concerned about. You might even hear some popping once in a while.

Yes, you should be able to set your charge percentage through the app or in car.

Reactions: Joe