• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Traded in MachE for Lightning... my first questions

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I have the Lightning-specific ones. It was less than $100 for the pair.
Front - NL3Z-16A550-AA
Rear - NL3Z-16A550-BA

They work fine. I have no way to compare to others.
Yup. Use the blue marker in this set to color the word Lightning on the back flaps to match, before mounting. https://amzn.to/3IoPNZJ
Sponsored

ctuan13

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1979 Continental, 2022 F150 Lightning, 03 Marauder
The benefits far outweigh the risk is exactly what my mindset used to be, but going 3 months without core features (including safety features) has made me more cautious. My thought now is to wait a week or two and watch the forums to see if it is blowing anyone else up :)

I will do the Tesla update as soon as my adapter arrives. Really want to see BC 1.whatever come out with the new features.

Issue with updates in the past were 12v bms? What does that mean? Can you provide a link to a thread with those details?

The one thing that I was hoping is that with the F150 being Fords pride and joy vehicle that it would have better quality and service.
Basically the 12V battery wouldn't be charged properly or maintained by the DC-DC converter properly and so would dip below the acceptable threshold during an extended update, cutting power to critical modules in the middle of onboarding new software. This left many with bricked trucks.

Although the fixed BMS and in some instances a new 12V battery is the fix, one way to minimize your risk of this occurring is to disable automatic updates and periodically manually check for updates if desired. When you see an update is available do not initiate it unless youve been driving the truck for an extended period of time. If it's been parked at home, shut off for a while, heres what you do:

1. Start the truck and shut off the vehicle shutdown timer in vehicle settings.
2. Let the truck "run" for at least an hour, sometimes two just to be safe.
3. Then get into your truck and initiate the update.

The 12V battery should be at 100% SOC after that time sitting and running so the update should go smoothly.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Any simple things to add/buy for the Lightning that add nice quality of life?
If you got some time peruse this thread - lots of things (92 pages worth):
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/🙋‍♂️-what-did-you-do-to-your-lightning-today.11210/

And for quality of life - how about keeping your home powered when electricity goes out? Read one of the many threads on that topic. Like https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/ground-fault-using-manual-transfer-switch.18410/

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security
I really like the community in these forums and the 'real world' feedback that it brings. I appreciate any feedback to the questions that you may have.
It sucks that you had problems with the Mach-E, but contragurations on the new Lightning!

Specific to your questions:
  1. Automatic updates and software should be practically identical between the Lightning and the Mach-E. In general, both vehicles use the same collection of modules, same battery technology, and same user interfaces. While I haven't heard a story like yours in the Lightning community, I Have heard of software updates "bricking" trucks.
  2. No, the charging guidance is identical: Use Level 2 charging to 90% for daily use, and the occasional charge to 100% when needed is OK. On the road, end DC fast charging at 80% (because it slows down pretty sharply above that). Overall charge times are similar -- the Lightning's bigger battery is nearly exactly offset by higher charge acceptance rates.
  3. Dealerrships and service departments are a challenge, and your experience may vary widely based on what dealership, which service-writer, and what technician you get. You can use Ford's website to search for dealerships: a checkbox for EV-Certified dealers is under the Advanced Search option.
  4. A lot depends on how and where you use your truck, but:
    1. A locking hard tonneau cover converts the bed into the world's largest trunk.
    2. I replaced the factory fixed running boards with AMP Reseach PowerStep swing-out running boards. This made it a lot easier for my wife to get in and out of the cab, greatly increasing her comfort with the truck.
    3. I installed a FitcamX dash-cam. Compared to the Mach-E, the install was practically trivial.
    4. I added Ford's OEM Lightning mudflap to the front and rear, in large part to protect the running boards from mud and salt thrown up from the wheels during winter driving.
  5. Nope -- the Lightning is an F-150 that happens to be electric. Use it like you would any F-150 and you should be fine.

I've started tracking Mach-E information, because my wife is interested in trading in her (gas-powered) Mustang for a 2023 Mach-E (in Grabber Blue). The deals seem particularly good now, I've seen a number in the neighborhood, and I've heard that most people who bought a Mach-E really like their cars.

husky10101

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 diesel & 2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I have the Lightning-specific ones. It was less than $100 for the pair.
Front - NL3Z-16A550-AA
Rear - NL3Z-16A550-BA

They work fine. I have no way to compare to others.
Same here. Installed the Ford splash guards and not the dirt, snow, slush does not build up on the running boards anymore. Work great!
Sponsored