• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I drove an EV for the first time..

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
Yesterday my wife and I spent my lunch break test driving a Model Y Long Range. Not only was it my first time driving a Tesla, it was my first time driving an EV. This wasn't a performance version, but man what a kick in the ass that car is. It was up to 100mph is nuthin' flat. I can't even imagine what driving a Model S Plaid must be like..

We dropped by the Superior, CO location while I was on my lunch break. Like a Crack Dealer, Tesla doesn't really "sell" these cars but "offers" them. The rep we spoke with did the usual walk around of a floor model. We immediately got a massive laugh out of the "Romantic Mode" that shows a fire on the screen. My wife was giggling like a school girl.

So my other impressions/questions.
  • Man this thing really has A LOT of cargo space. That was very surprising.
  • The seats take a little getting used to but man that white is something else.
  • It has no CarPlay and that is kinda disappointing, but this is mostly because there is no Waze to warn me of any cops ahead. That is something I'll miss but my wife pointed out that the phone sits nicely on the charging pad and we could still run Waze on that. I was thinking it would be cool if AutoPilot could look down the road and give you a heads up if it notices a police car. It could also tell you if one comes up behind you from a highway on ramp.
  • Obviously the car was super quiet on the highway but the tires and suspension do transmit a lot of noise into the cabin.
  • No spare tire is a little concerning. But folks on the Tesla Reddit pointed out that there is a 3rd party spare available. The Tesla rep basically said that roadside service will come out to replace a tire. That's a challenge for someone that drives in the mountains with no cell service.
  • Regen braking will take some getting used to but I think I'd end up liking it.
On Monday I get to check out a Ford F150 Lightning. I've got an early reservation for one, so I'm fairly sure I'll have the option to actually order one. I also have a Cybertruck reservation but that's a very late one so I don't think I'll be able to get one for quite a while. I may buy an F150 and keep it for a couple years, then get a CT or Gen2 Lightning. But after driving a Model Y, I'm tempted to get that for a few years then get a CT or Gen 2 Lightning.
Sponsored

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
One thing you didn't mention about the telsa is the horrible interior build quality they are know for. This is the main thing I am looking for once experienced auto manufacturers start getting into the ev market.

If Telsa doesn't get this part taken care of they could be in some trouble down the road as these experienced manufacturers start pumping out EVs with a quality build car.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Nice! I think you can kind of picture now what the lightning will be like, except with a more spacious interior and truck bed. If you decide on a Model Y though, the aftermarket has an instrument cluster type deal that has CarPlay and sits right behind the steering wheel

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
One thing you didn't mention about the telsa is the horrible interior build quality they are know for. This is the main thing I am looking for once experienced auto manufacturers start getting into the ev market.

If Telsa doesn't get this part taken care of they could be in some trouble down the road as these experienced manufacturers start pumping out EVs with a quality build car.
Yea, I know all about that as well. The demonstrator didn't have any obvious flaws. Of course it isn't my car so I'm not taking a hard look at the paint quality, panel gaps, and other things.

Nice! I think you can kind of picture now what the lightning will be like, except with a more spacious interior and truck bed. If you decide on a Model Y though, the aftermarket has an instrument cluster type deal that has CarPlay and sits right behind the steering wheel
Yea, the long range version of the Model Y has a 0-60 of 4.5 seconds. Very similar to the extended range F150. That car was a kick in the pants. I can't wait to see what the Lightning does on Monday.

You've got me curious on that CarPlay add on. I'll look that up. But honestly, since Model Ys are sold out until Feb 2022, I'll probably come back to sanity and just get a Lightning. :)

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
There will be a definite difference in ride quality between F-150 BEV and Mach-E or Model Y. In the Mach-E or Model Y you will experience potholes, in the F-150 it's more like "I think that was a pothole". Hopefully you get a ride-along.

Sponsored

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I test drove a Model 3 and Y last May and it was so addicting, that I ordered a Model 3. Then changed my mind and picked up a demo Y in June. I absolutely love that car and how it drives, and 326 miles for $14 dollars of electricity is so refreshing. But, I was an early reservation on a Bronco last year and it’s arriving in a couple of weeks. When I saw the Lightning I realized it was something revolutionary and had to reserve one, and did in the first 10 minutes of opening.

Question in 2022 for me will be, do I sell the Bronco, or the Y, when the Lightning shows up? I don’t know!

Ford F-150 Lightning I drove an EV for the first time.. A155D2C9-FC8A-4080-9DBC-1E103E2C0F8A

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
Welcome to the future of driving. Instant torque on demand, one pedal driving with regen braking. You hear the terms but until you experience it you can't fully comprehend.

Now there is something to manual transmissions that engage the driver more in the control of the vehicle. However there is a reason automatic transmissions are predominant that will lead to more EV adoption over time.

Model Y's fits the Small-Midsize SUV market like a glove with EV performance galore. The Mach-E plays in this space as well but Ford is learning about EV technology with the recent high speed fallout in Mach-E GT performance. We shall see if over the air updates can address the issue but not everyone buys their SUV for running at the track and laying down the best trap time/speed. Roadsters and Model S were not perfect in their initial release years but Tesla's product has big data volume to understand and better perfect their product. I'm sure in time the Mustang will overcome these teething issues.

For towing, off roading, providing a mobile worksite, home power generation Ford has positioned the F-150 as the product to beat. Rivian is positioned more like Tesla as the Luxury glamping truck but does not have the built Ford tough utility. Cybertruck might be small arms bullet proof but its size and doorstop shape scream niche product. Ford knows its market and has designed a product for the masses of F150 users (and aftermarket customizations). It is the most popular vehicle across all segments. Time will tell what tweaks and kinks are in the infancy of the Lightning. I look forward to my delivery date and continuing my future as a daily EV driver in the Lightning.

JPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Occupation
Rebar Detailer/Estimator
I got a ride along yesterday at the Seattle event and it accelerated as hard as the Tesla Model Y and Model 3's I test drove the week before. It actually felt faster likely because it's a truck and who'd believe it. I was definitely pinned back to my seat! It will easily meet all my needs.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
Yea, I know all about that as well. The demonstrator didn't have any obvious flaws. Of course it isn't my car so I'm not taking a hard look at the paint quality, panel gaps, and other things.
I’m around a lot of Teslas and Tesla owners and I own two of them myself — a 2020 Model S Performance, that replaced a 2015 Model S P85D, and now a 2021 Model Y Long Range. No issues at all with any of them.

All car makers have some issues here and there with quality control. The biggest issue I see with Teslas is that they do absolutely no PDI (pre-delivery inspection) and corrections before delivering cars. Quality control from the factory tends to be pretty lax while they’re ramping up the assembly line on a new model since they prefer to focus on shipping cars with the attitude of “fix it later.” I think the Model Y had the worst quality control of any Tesla car. Initial production ramp was killed dead in its tracks by covid shutdowns and then they had to start all over a couple months later. Much of the Y production line was and still is being done in circus tents. All things considered, it’s a fantastic car. Build quality is just fine, I’d even say it’s rather good. The drivetrain on these cars is rock solid. Fit and finish is good overall, but like I said, no PDI and the classic Tesla joke is “within spec”. Panel gaps and paint quality tends to be good these days, but every now and then a car will show up with a few noticeable variances. If it were a BMW that showed up to the dealership like that…. And believe me, they do. They would fix it before letting a customer see it. Tesla on the other hand sets the delivery appointment before the transport even shows up and they pull the plastic wrap off the seats, not bothering to check it over, as they have the customer picking it up.

I’m expecting the F-150 to accelerate similarly to the Model Y LR. 4.5-ish seconds 0-60.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
I’m around a lot of Teslas and Tesla owners and I own two of them myself — a 2020 Model S Performance, that replaced a 2015 Model S P85D, and now a 2021 Model Y Long Range. No issues at all with any of them.

All car makers have some issues here and there with quality control. The biggest issue I see with Teslas is that they do absolutely no PDI (pre-delivery inspection) and corrections before delivering cars. Quality control from the factory tends to be pretty lax while they’re ramping up the assembly line on a new model since they prefer to focus on shipping cars with the attitude of “fix it later.” I think the Model Y had the worst quality control of any Tesla car. Initial production ramp was killed dead in its tracks by covid shutdowns and then they had to start all over a couple months later. Much of the Y production line was and still is being done in circus tents. All things considered, it’s a fantastic car. Build quality is just fine, I’d even say it’s rather good. The drivetrain on these cars is rock solid. Fit and finish is good overall, but like I said, no PDI and the classic Tesla joke is “within spec”. Panel gaps and paint quality tends to be good these days, but every now and then a car will show up with a few noticeable variances. If it were a BMW that showed up to the dealership like that…. And believe me, they do. They would fix it before letting a customer see it. Tesla on the other hand sets the delivery appointment before the transport even shows up and they pull the plastic wrap off the seats, not bothering to check it over, as they have the customer picking it up.

I’m expecting the F-150 to accelerate similarly to the Model Y LR. 4.5-ish seconds 0-60.
You’re PDI comment makes a lot of sense. Tesla, IMO, should probably look into changing that. Especially if a car is delivered near a service center. That said, their quality issues aren’t just limited to the Y. Doug DeMuro pointed out all sorts of quality issues on an S Plaid model. That’s car is well into the 6 figures and they still don’t get the panel gaps and paint done right.

I don’t want to totally throw Tesla under the bus here. I’ve owned a lot of cars and I’ve seen issues with VWs, Jags, Chevys, etc. The only car I’ve ever owned that was flawless through my ownership was a Porsche Cayenne. The 2nd most perfect was a 2011 F150 FX2.

Sponsored

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I test drove a Model 3 and Y last May and it was so addicting, that I ordered a Model 3. Then changed my mind and picked up a demo Y in June. I absolutely love that car and how it drives, and 326 miles for $14 dollars of electricity is so refreshing. But, I was an early reservation on a Bronco last year and it’s arriving in a couple of weeks. When I saw the Lightning I realized it was something revolutionary and had to reserve one, and did in the first 10 minutes of opening.

Question in 2022 for me will be, do I sell the Bronco, or the Y, when the Lightning shows up? I don’t know!

A155D2C9-FC8A-4080-9DBC-1E103E2C0F8A.jpeg
You probably won't get your hands on a lighning until 2023 or 2024.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I bought an EV within about 6 weeks of driving one for the first time and I'm in line for another one. It's definitely an experience that you can't really explain to someone, they have to experience it themselves. I recently drove the Taycan 4S and I'm really having trouble wrapping my head around how the MS Plaid can be twice as powerful and almost twice as fast as that T4S. That is truly mindboggling. I own a 911 Carrera S, it has almost identical power/weight and torque/weight as the Taycan 4S but the Taycan feels so much faster (and times much faster, too) because of the instant torque. Though, TBH, the 911 is way more fun to drive. I wouldn't trade it for the Taycan or any EV. I love the ease of use of EVs for daily driving activities but a gas engine and a manual transmission will always be my choice for "driving for fun".

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
You probably won't get your hands on a lighning until 2023 or 2024.
That’s okay, I’ll just enjoy driving my Y until then. It’s a blast and can’t imagine what the Lightning will feel like. In fact it would be hard to give it up it’s so much fun to drive.

I figured with a time stamp of 11 minutes and 13 minutes after they opened it up, I would have a decent chance of getting it in 2022. Oh well, I’ll just have to wait two or three years.

One order is for my father and one for me.

Ford F-150 Lightning I drove an EV for the first time.. C5FF3C1B-F0EA-4893-B7E9-F781286383CA

Ford F-150 Lightning I drove an EV for the first time.. D51F9FF0-5F86-4A78-8213-2B20559715DC

Last edited:

bboy_72

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
That’s okay, I’ll just enjoy driving my Y until then. It’s a blast and can’t imagine what the Lightning will feel like. In fact it would be hard to give it up it’s so much fun to drive.

I figured with a time stamp of 11 minutes and 13 minutes after they opened it up, I would have a decent chance of getting it in 2022. Oh well, I’ll just have to wait two or three years.

One order is for my father and one for me.

C5FF3C1B-F0EA-4893-B7E9-F781286383CA.jpeg

D51F9FF0-5F86-4A78-8213-2B20559715DC.jpeg
I’m confused. Why wouldn’t you have a good chance of getting one given your early reservation time stamp?

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
If you got a reservation the first day I think it's fairly certain you can get one in 2022 assuming Ford doesn't delay or reduce their production numbers.
Sponsored