• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Traded in MachE for Lightning... my first questions

OracleX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
IT Solution Delivery Manager
Good day!

Last week we traded our MachE in for a Lightning Platinum Supercrew and had a few questions for the community here around the truck. First off, the trade in was completely unexpected and not planned :) We were taking our MachE in for the 6th time to get software gremlins worked out. In December there was a OTA that was supposed to enhance the driver facing camera in preparations for the BC 1.3 update. Unfortunately that update basically broke the driver facing camera resulting in a fault every time you tried to use those features.
  1. First appointment they cleared the codes (which there was no code for the driver facing camera fault) and 'configured a couple modules'. When they called to say it was ready I asked what was done, and said 'okay so you didn't fix it'. I went in and picked it up, drove a km down the road, not fixed, and went straight back to the dealer. I ended up taking out the technician for a drive to show them the fault and what wasn't working. Their reaction was 'oh I never pushed that button' meaning they never tried to turn on BC.
  2. Second visit they basically said they didn't know what to do as there were no codes being recorded as a result of the fault and they would have to contact Ford to get advice.
  3. Third visit they said they had direction from Ford, which was to basically reload the software from the start and add updates one after another. After this appointment the BC still didn't work, but now lane centering was not working and both blind spot and cross traffic features stopped working.
  4. Forth visit was focused on getting blind spot and cross traffic working as Ford had released a statement acknowledging that the update in December caused issues with BC for some cars (which I had to point out to them, thanks to the MachE forum for this). After this visit they said everything was fixed. Next day the faults showed up again.
  5. Fifth visit they said a sensor was damaged and replaced it. Next day the faults showed up again.
  6. Sixth visit they gave us a Lightning off the lot to have as a loaner while they worked on our car again. We fell in love with the Lightning and did a trade in. In the couple days in-between the service visit and getting the Lightning the faults came back again.
We really liked our MachE, but love the Lightning. We got a Platinum Supercrew Lightning and it is liking driving around your living room. Loving the space, features, range and performance.

That all being said, a couple questions around the Lightning.
  1. First thing I did when we got the Lighning was turning off automatic updates. Are the updates for the Lightning as risky as the MachE? I work in the IT industry and understand that things don't always go right, but when it is your vehicle, the impact sucks.
  2. Are there any different recommendations for charging the Lightning that would be different from the MachE?
  3. Anyone else experience the same issues with service just not understanding or unable to fix issues with the Lightning?
  4. Any simple things to add/buy for the Lightning that add nice quality of life?
  5. Any suggestions around things to watch out for, or common problems that come up with the Lightning?
I really like the community in these forums and the 'real world' feedback that it brings. I appreciate any feedback to the questions that you may have.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
1) Same
2) No
3) Yes
4) Quality of life?
5) No

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
First thing I did when we got the Lighning was turning off automatic updates. Are the updates for the Lightning as risky as the MachE? I work in the IT industry and understand that things don't always go right, but when it is your vehicle, the impact sucks.
There have only been a few reports of updates causing problems. Imo, the benefits far outweigh the risk. Especially right now with Tesla compatibility and newcruise 1.whatever coming out.

The main cause of update issues was the 12v bms. That's being fixed now.

Ford gathers data from the trucks which then in turn help guide qol improvements too.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Welcome to the forum, hopefully the Platinum will give you less heartache, that said things can & do go wrong, for the most part folks are able to get issues resolved with a capable service team, the rare few who haven't exercised buy-back or lemon-law options, remember that forums don't always represent the majority of happy customers with little or no problems.

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Congrats. Please know that there are some on this forum who have had zero big problems with our Lightnings. I’ve had my Lariat since June 2022 and expect a truck to be a truck.
Now w/r/t FCSP, use it as a dumb charger. Forget the bells and whistles.
edit add - same thoughts on PAAK. Don’t get hopes up for 100% performance.

OP
OP

OracleX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Welcome the underreported Drivers facing camera broken software Lightning Forum!

We have the same issues. There was nothing the dealer could do for your Mach-E as apparently it’s a software issue.

Congrats on the Platinum!

OP
OP

OracleX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
There have only been a few reports of updates causing problems. Imo, the benefits far outweigh the risk. Especially right now with Tesla compatibility and newcruise 1.whatever coming out.

The main cause of update issues was the 12v bms. That's being fixed now.

Ford gathers data from the trucks which then in turn help guide qol improvements too.
The benefits far outweigh the risk is exactly what my mindset used to be, but going 3 months without core features (including safety features) has made me more cautious. My thought now is to wait a week or two and watch the forums to see if it is blowing anyone else up :)

I will do the Tesla update as soon as my adapter arrives. Really want to see BC 1.whatever come out with the new features.

Issue with updates in the past were 12v bms? What does that mean? Can you provide a link to a thread with those details?

The one thing that I was hoping is that with the F150 being Fords pride and joy vehicle that it would have better quality and service.

OP
OP

OracleX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Welcome to the forum, hopefully the Platinum will give you less heartache, that said things can & do go wrong, for the most part folks are able to get issues resolved with a capable service team, the rare few who haven't exercised buy-back or lemon-law options, remember that forums don't always represent the majority of happy customers with little or no problems.
Very true! There are always those who are diehard fans that are blind to reality and then those who just like to hate and complain. Have to filter through to get what is really going on.

Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
wait a week or two and watch the forums
Ford has a multitiered release program, not everyone gets them all at once.

The 12v bms is a monitor attached to the 12v battery that had probls and is being replaced. Check out the customer satisfaction programs section.

Enjoy the ride!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
4. If you traverse dirt, gravel, or anything other than relatively clean pavement, the Ford splash guards (AKA “mudflaps”) are a worthwhile addition.

OP
OP

OracleX

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
4. If you traverse dirt, gravel, or anything other than relatively clean pavement, the Ford splash guards (AKA “mudflaps”) are a worthwhile addition.
Thank you! Do you have any recommendations on which one is 'best'? Pretty big price range on them. Are the $300+ ones worth it compared to the ~$50 ones?
Splash Guards | Accessories.Ford.com

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Thank you! Do you have any recommendations on which one is 'best'? Pretty big price range on them. Are the $300+ ones worth it compared to the ~$50 ones?
Splash Guards | Accessories.Ford.com
I have the Lightning-specific ones. It was less than $100 for the pair.
Front - NL3Z-16A550-AA
Rear - NL3Z-16A550-BA

They work fine. I have no way to compare to others.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired