• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Battery warranty explained?

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
So battery warranty is 10 years, if I charge up to 100 percent every day and it wears out the battery before the 10 years will that void warranty?
I'm sure there is a log for Ford to see your charging habits.
What would constitute the battery being worn out?
I mean what does the warranty cover?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
So battery warranty is 10 years, if I charge up to 100 percent every day and it wears out the battery before the 10 years will that void warranty?
Have you read the warranty?

There are no charging habits that you can do that will void the warranty.

The warranty specifically states what is covered. 8 years / 100,000 miles (not 10 years). 70% of capacity.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

The warranty specifically states what is covered. 8 years / 100,000 miles (not 10 years). 70% of capacity.
Exactly this - the warranty covers the worst case scenario (only using DC fast chargers, always charging to 100% and letting it sit there, jackrabbit driving with high current draws, letting it sit in very high and very low temps, etc). All of that is warrantied to not drop you capacity below 70% after 8 years or 100k miles. All of the recommendations on preserving battery health are to keep it well above that limit (likely 10% or less loss if you use L2 charging and use a 90% limit for daily use.)

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass

And I will add, good luck hitting that 70% mark. I've seen actual failures happen, but I haven't seen a whole lot of 30% battery degradations.

Granted it's a different battery technology but I can say I've got an AP1 MX that is abused. The vehicle spends it's life only at DC fast chargers, has over 100,000 miles on it, is roughly 6 years old, and is routinely charged up beyond 100%. Worse, it sits at 100% on the supercharger and is only moved if idle fees will be incurred and even then sometimes it stays on. I don't recommend this habit to anyone - including to the primary driver of the vehicle but much to my frustration they don't listen.

The battery degradation on that car is just under 20%. Nearly double the degradation of all our other ones which undergo a normal charge pattern set at 90% with the majority of charging on L2 with occasional DCFC.

Having owned electric for nearly a decade, I'm not worried about the battery. I'd be more worried about the motors than the battery. And I'd be more worried about general electronics and parts that are typical on an ICE vehicle anyway before I worry about either the motor or the battery.

OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Okay thanks for the good info. No I have not read the warranty but keep reading about battery degradation an not charging to 100 percent and was wondering how if doing that would affect the warranty.
Thanks.

Sponsored
OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Battery warranty is 8 years not 10..

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Okay thanks for the good info. No I have not read the warranty but keep reading about battery degradation an not charging to 100 percent and was wondering how if doing that would affect the warranty.
Thanks.
Unless there is a defect, EV battery warranty means that you will probably not need to exercise it.

Even charging to 100% does not mean any degradation due to SOC buffer built into the charger.

Case in point:
My 4 year old PHEV I charge to 100% everyday (meaning 80% SOC max due to buffer built in) I still get 100-140% of range.
My battery is warranted for 10 years by the manufacturer which makes me believe they are pretty solid.
It will take many more years before the PHEV battery capacity decreases to warrant a replacement under warranty.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
There has been a lot of other cars who's owners have had to fight dealer and maker for warranty. BMW has a sort of clear 70%. You have to let them run their diag on it to say 70 or not.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...-E-Warranty-version-1_frdwa_EN-US_09_2021.pdf

" f an authorized EV Certified Ford Dealer determines that the battery capacity is less than 70 percent of the high voltage battery’s beginning of life capacity, or less than 65 percent for vehicles in cutaway or chassis cab configuration, this level of capacity loss is considered excessive. The measurement method used to determine the high voltage battery capacity, and the decision of whether to repair, replace, or provide reconditioned or remanufactured parts, and the condition of any such replaced, reconditioned or remanufactured parts, are at the sole discretion of Ford Motor Company. During the High Voltage Battery Capacity Coverage period, Ford Motor Company will cover the necessary component repair or replacement to correct this excessive capacity loss, when performed by an EV Certified Ford dealership. This coverage is in addition to the high voltage battery assembly’s limited warranty for defects in materials or workmanship. If a warranty repair requires replacement of the high voltage battery ..."

Note, you won't get a new battery.

OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
There has been a lot of other cars who's owners have had to fight dealer and maker for warranty. BMW has a sort of clear 70%. You have to let them run their diag on it to say 70 or not.

https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...-E-Warranty-version-1_frdwa_EN-US_09_2021.pdf

" f an authorized EV Certified Ford Dealer determines that the battery capacity is less than 70 percent of the high voltage battery’s beginning of life capacity, or less than 65 percent for vehicles in cutaway or chassis cab configuration, this level of capacity loss is considered excessive. The measurement method used to determine the high voltage battery capacity, and the decision of whether to repair, replace, or provide reconditioned or remanufactured parts, and the condition of any such replaced, reconditioned or remanufactured parts, are at the sole discretion of

Note, you won't get a new battery.
I have a 2011 Prius and Toyota replaced the battery after 9 years and like 8 months just before the 10 years warranty was up.
I was so surprised when they told me it was covered. I looked it up and Toyota actually changed the warranty from 8yrs to 10yrs, wow who does that?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I have a 2011 Prius and Toyota replaced the battery after 9 years and like 8 months just before the 10 years warranty was up.
I was so surprised when they told me it was covered. I looked it up and Toyota actually changed the warranty from 8yrs to 10yrs, wow who does that?
California passed a law requiring all EV batteries to be warrantied for 10 years. That is why California gets 10 years and all other states get 8, though it seems Toyota just made it 10 years for everyone.

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/hybrid-ev-battery-warranty/

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
California passed a law requiring all EV batteries to be warrantied for 10 years. That is why California gets 10 years and all other states get 8, though it seems Toyota just made it 10 years for everyone.

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/hybrid-ev-battery-warranty/
Yes that is correct - my Honda PHEV has a 8 year battery / EV warranty but is extended to 10 years in CA.

Still have 6 more years on the PHEV so I am relieved to not worry about it.

OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
So my mistake of saying 10 year lightning battery warranty is correct since im in California.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Granted it's a different battery technology but I can say I've got an AP1 MX that is abused. The vehicle spends it's life only at DC fast chargers, has over 100,000 miles on it, is roughly 6 years old, and is routinely charged up beyond 100%. Worse, it sits at 100% on the supercharger and is only moved if idle fees will be incurred and even then sometimes it stays on. I don't recommend this habit to anyone - including to the primary driver of the vehicle but much to my frustration they don't listen.

The battery degradation on that car is just under 20%. Nearly double the degradation of all our other ones which undergo a normal charge pattern set at 90% with the majority of charging on L2 with occasional DCFC.
I'll confirm this - our P100D (upgraded) AP1 Sig MX has 8% degradation on 153,000 miles over 6+ years. We don't baby it, we let it sit at 100% occasionally, DCFC makes up about 2-3% of charging. It's unlikely that anything you do will get you 30% degradation in that time frame - it'll have to be a problem with the pack.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback

California has a longer warranty period - I believe it is 10 years/150K miles.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X