• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Bed camera feature gone after update (while driving)!

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Maybe they replaced your Job 2 module with a Job 1 module.
Sponsored

bpost

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited
My job 2 truck has been able to show the bed camera in full screen or side screen indefinitely. I’ve been worried about a software update making it quit working and you’ve made me realize my fears are rational.
I’m gonna turn off auto updates.
How does one tell if they have a job 2 truck?

Touringsedan

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid
Occupation
Retired
I am going to ask a crazy question here. What are Job 1 trucks versus Job 2 trucks?
Thanks

Touringsedan

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
ok that makes sense. I have a Job 1 truck. Build date was 12/21/2020.
My cameras do not work if you are moving about about 5MPH.
Thank you

Sponsored
OP
OP
rayray3

rayray3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I just sent Jesse the info on the Sync software to check it out.
Also, I bought mine August 20th, 2021. I looked at the window sticker and the only thing I could find with a date was the middle bottom with some numbers and then, 7/27/21, which I'm guessing is the build date. So I might be in Job 1-2 purgatory.

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I have a job 1 truck, no cameras above 5mph. I can live with that. What REALLY bugs me is the "Please check surroundings for safety" overlay message. In close-up reverse view, it covers the edge of the bumper (literally the only reason for using this view). It drives me crazy because in regular reverse view, its in the center (again, in exactly the wrong place). It's like Ford decided to intentionally sabotage the cameras. Infuriating.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Yeah his situation is he for sure has a job one. He had a bad apim. They replaced it. The job 1 apim is same as job 2 problem is the dealer did not complete the PMI of the new apim and that left it in a old software version. 21146 even for job one gave the ability for cam in motion. For job 2 the shipped with 21223 and one version before I can remember.
The apim the dealer installed is old. When doing a PMI it detects what version is appropriate for the truck and downloads the files according to that.
He for sure should have the cams in motion. Until they complete the PMI and get the proper software version he won’t. The version he is at is what trucks were shipping with in April.
Dealers just seem to be incapable

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I'm really bummed that we (job 1 folks) are not getting the feature updates OTA in the manner that people with Tesla's seem to brag about ("hey, I got in my car today and it suddenly has heated seats after an OTA update!").

It seems like the only thing that is OTA updateable is going to be the Sync head unit. Question for @Jesse-Infotainment: Are any of the other key modules ever going to get OTA updates? I have very little confidence any dealer service center will know exactly how to update things either. I'm very worried job 1 trucks - even if we have same capable hardware - will be stuck with only the feature set and menus our trucks were "born" with.

Now I've got 4 things my Feb '21 truck is missing out on that really bother me:
  1. Pro trailer backup sticker ability
  2. Cameras (bed/rear) in motion
  3. Trip meter available as "cards" on sync screen for powerboosts (non-powerboosts have it but seems to be bug/omission on powerboost)
  4. Large turn-by-turn for android auto/carplay in cluster screen (currently only the small single-line)
EDIT: I hadn't actually considered diving into the Forscan route, but if I can't get things updated but Forscan can fix the above, I may take the plunge...

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
It’s more that Ford doesn’t provide clear instruction and the software they give dealers to perform PMIs fucking sucks.
Honestly.. it’s not that hard. It’s a lack of effort
1643776166644.png

both things can be true ;)
i don’t want to roast techs.. but honestly.. so many people on this forum have successfully done the updates on their own with no previous experience.. so that tells me it’s a lack of effort

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I'm really bummed that we (job 1 folks) are not getting the feature updates OTA in the manner that people with Tesla's seem to brag about ("hey, I got in my car today and it suddenly has heated seats after an OTA update!").

It seems like the only thing that is OTA updateable is going to be the Sync head unit. Question for @Jesse-Infotainment: Are any of the other key modules ever going to get OTA updates? I have very little confidence any dealer service center will know exactly how to update things either. I'm very worried job 1 trucks - even if we have same capable hardware - will be stuck with only the feature set and menus our trucks were "born" with.

Now I've got 4 things my Feb '21 truck is missing out on that really bother me:
  1. Pro trailer backup sticker ability
  2. Cameras (bed/rear) in motion
  3. Trip meter available as "cards" on sync screen for powerboosts (non-powerboosts have it but seems to be bug/omission on powerboost)
  4. Large turn-by-turn for android auto/carplay in cluster screen (currently only the small single-line)
EDIT: I hadn't actually considered diving into the Forscan route, but if I can't get things updated but Forscan can fix the above, I may take the plunge...
The large turn by turn is addressed in an apim update.
Cams in motion minus rear cam is also addressed in an update but also requires Forscan changes.
Trip meter can be added in Forscan that won’t be anything they add..

I’ll have to look more into the pro trailer I’m not familiar enough with that to really speak in an intelligent way. I’m not experienced in towing and trailer use and or the pro trailer system

we covered OTA and what modules are OTA capable in a few threads in specific but long story short there are only 3-4 modules capable of OTA and they are on the Ethernet network of the truck. Ipc, apim, TCU, IPMA i don’t know the other because it’s not populated on any wiring diagram I can see. Maybe the 18 speaker b&o amp. Or maybe it’s a powerboost module not sure. I have not looked a lot into it. Modules outside thatnetwork won’t see OTAs (most likely) never can say never.

Touringsedan

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Jesse,
with a job 1 truck/APIM can I request the software update 21146 to get the cameras on in motion?
Thanks

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Yeah his situation is he for sure has a job one. He had a bad apim. They replaced it. The job 1 apim is same as job 2 problem is the dealer did not complete the PMI of the new apim and that left it in a old software version. 21146 even for job one gave the ability for cam in motion. For job 2 the shipped with 21223 and one version before I can remember.
The apim the dealer installed is old. When doing a PMI it detects what version is appropriate for the truck and downloads the files according to that.
He for sure should have the cams in motion. Until they complete the PMI and get the proper software version he won’t. The version he is at is what trucks were shipping with in April.
Dealers just seem to be incapable

I made a mistake RAYRAY3 Had a JOB 2 I said Job 1 in my earlier post. I am sorry that was a mistake and i am sure that caused some confusion.

RAYRAY3 Has a JOB 2 truck and for sure should have cams in motion.
Sponsored