• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Bedrug concerns

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
Now that it's light out, here's a better look at the final install.

I'll eventually tweak the cuts around the ProPower and light switch, then add some Velcro around the lights just in case, but otherwise, it came out great. I obsessed over the cuts in my last F-150 to get things to snap back and that's just not needed.

Ford F-150 Lightning Bedrug concerns 1672675809281

Ford F-150 Lightning Bedrug concerns 1672675842859

Ford F-150 Lightning Bedrug concerns 1672675886497
Sponsored

EdwinT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro, Matrix, 91 Galant VR4 (for sale)
Ford has it 20% off until the 9th with the Ford logo (instead of BedRug). RealTruck should discount it as well.
The full bed rug?? I didnā€™t see it. You have a link? Thanks!

OP
OP
PV2EV

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige

rg7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
After reading up on the Bedrug for 4 days I think it's what I want to go with. I'm a big fan of the clean look where people remove the lights and switches and work surface and then tuck the rug underneath. I'll probably take a couple days off just so I can do the install uninterrupted when it gets warmer out.

I don't think I want a tonneau cover. Is it just going to get filthy without one?

PA Lightning

First Name
Tbone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro
After reading up on the Bedrug for 4 days I think it's what I want to go with. I'm a big fan of the clean look where people remove the lights and switches and work surface and then tuck the rug underneath. I'll probably take a couple days off just so I can do the install uninterrupted when it gets warmer out.

I don't think I want a tonneau cover. Is it just going to get filthy without one?
If you do not have a tonneau cover the bed rug will get as dirty as any truck bed without a cover. I went with the XLT Bed Mat which is the bed rug for the bed floor and tail gate. Easy to install and easy to remove. I did not see a need to cover the sides.

Sponsored

KickingGas

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro w/ Tow Tech Package
I have a bedrug and a cover. I left the cover open for a few months with no issues. (Well, unless you call the red and blue fuzz balls permanently imbedded in the velcro for the cover from running it through the car wash a dozen or so times an issue... but I guess that's not the actual bedrug.) Anyway, the point is even going through the car wash a dozen times with the cover open didn't do anything. It usually dried out within a few hours. I've hauled a bunch of plants in it for landscaping recently. The dirt vaccuums out super easily.

I've been keeping the cover closed now that it's winter because getting 4 inches of snow in it would make a mess in the garage...

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
Yeah, I had it perfectly placed, was putting the work surface back, and then realized there are positioning tabs molded into the work surface that fit into holes in the tailgate that I didnā€™t see (long dayā€¦got a little rushed at the end). I didnā€™t punch holes in the surface of the BedRug to accommodate them and it left me two buldgesšŸ™ƒ as I reintalled the Torx screws.

It forced me to pull the surface back off to punch the holes for the tabs, and thus reposition the rug. I already had the top row of Velcro set on the tailgate and reinstalling the work surface ā€œtuggedā€ on themā€¦.and is now pulling on them (See photo). I need to get some more Velcro and reinstall that top row to clean it up.

Other than that, Iā€™m happy with my outcomeā€¦ā€¦.
500A6FBE-549A-405A-9240-435F5715D1F0.jpeg

677802B9-9350-48B3-AB49-2F22DBCD60AB.jpeg

0AD970A6-E533-4914-AD1F-E00050F0EA0A.jpeg

115E52A5-0B76-48C8-9DA9-14A85C0ACE68.jpeg

14358AF2-4874-4BED-8049-8B7151D3472F.jpeg

AF930447-82D8-4C56-B501-D103A98060F4.jpeg

DDFB4FA1-5349-4974-8692-087867E03721.jpeg

B9F9CBFD-506C-4A65-A9FE-B0C2D7EFBF8E.jpeg
I'm going to be installing a BedRug soon.
I was doing install research and found that there really isn't much information out there for installation around the work surface. Since I want to have the BedRug on the tailgate, but I still want the work surface to be usable I was targeting that area to learn more.
Thank you for the information here, during install I will keep this in mind.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I'm going to be installing a BedRug soon.
I was doing install research and found that there really isn't much information out there for installation around the work surface. Since I want to have the BedRug on the tailgate, but I still want the work surface to be usable I was targeting that area to learn more.
Thank you for the information here, during install I will keep this in mind.
After nearly 18 months, my install is holding up well. I have one additional suggestion: Trim the BedRug at about the mid-point of the tailgateā€¦.donā€™t have it extend to come along and out from beneath work surface at the top of the tailgate. There are metal retainers ( load strap holders) at that point on each side of the tailgateā€¦loosen/remove them and hide the cut edges of the rug under those retainers with the remainder under the work surface.

I found loading/unloading the bed will pull the adhered velcro away from surface at the top of the tailgate :)

OP
OP
PV2EV

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
After nearly 18 months, my install is holding up well. I have one additional suggestion: Trim the BedRug at about the mid-point of the tailgateā€¦.donā€™t have it extend to come along and out from beneath work surface at the top of the tailgate. There are metal retainers ( load strap holders) at that point on each side of the tailgateā€¦loosen/remove them and hide the cut edges of the rug under those retainers with the remainder under the work surface.

I found loading/unloading the bed will pull the adhered velcro away from surface at the top of the tailgate :)
I had the same problem when loading. Thanks for the solution. The other thing I have is wet spots, especially at the bottom of the tailgate. This is more a function (or not) of the tonneau cover which am not sure I can solve.

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
I had the same problem when loading. Thanks for the solution. The other thing I have is wet spots, especially at the bottom of the tailgate. This is more a function (or not) of the tonneau cover which am not sure I can solve.
Yea, my cover has provided enough of a seal that I havenā€™t seen any appreciable moistureā€¦.even driving back/forth to Seattle in the driving rainā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.

mefly2

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER / KO2s max tow ; 22 F350, 23 C8 Vette
Occupation
Retired CSc/Math teacher. LEO
On our last F150 we just cut / separated the bed rug from the tailgate. Then we used some 1/8" aluminum flat stock across the end of the bed to secure the rug down and prevent debris from getting underneath - 5 screws held it in place.

Velcro held the rug in place on the tailgate.

Just ordered one today from our local dealer for the 150L

Last edited:

theUNSTABLE

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Cyber Engineer
Well after doing the install - I understand all these comments now.
Initially I was going to do the whole tailgate.
I cut spots for the screws and "humps" so the work cover would sit flat, but I wasn't happy with how it looked and how the corners curled.

Ended up just cutting the outside at the hook points @Firestop recommended and I'm happy with how it looks.

Can provide more photos if someone wants, but here is what it ended up looking like last night.
Blue boxes to show the cut

Ford F-150 Lightning Bedrug concerns 1709662590784

After seeing what it looked like without the cut I realized it would get in the way more than it would be nice.

Going this route also didn't require any velco since I was using the side mounting points as clamps - and the work surface to hold it in place.

Now I don't have to worry about velcro, or corners coming up or getting caught on items and I still have the tailgate gap covered.

Very pleased.

Thanks for the help and installation tips

Aminorjourney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
vehicles that go
Obviously no longer have Adira (RIP) but here's just a selection of photos of me using the bedbug in my truck to full extent.

Never had any issues.

We've hauled wood, dirt/soil, motorcycles, camera gear, and I would 100% recommend them.
We have the slightly tougher one with the rubber mat on the bottom. It just rinses out :)

In fact, we're hoping insurance will help us cover that... ;)

Ford F-150 Lightning Bedrug concerns IMG_4953
Ford F-150 Lightning Bedrug concerns IMG_3484
Ford F-150 Lightning Bedrug concerns IMG_4548
Ford F-150 Lightning Bedrug concerns IMG_4068
Sponsored