• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Best Charging Practices?

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Super educational. Really appreciate it. I would say here is the last question but you know me better than that:

It sounds like my current processes are inline with reducing risk and increasing longevity. However it sounds like just cycling and aging alone may cause these things to a lesser extent just due to repetition of ions going back and forth. It may take 4-6 times as long to get there (is that right)?

Do you know if there are signs before or immediately after separator is pierced but before thermal runaway that BMS or owner can watch for? Would the voltage variation from normal for that cell drastically increase? Basically, once my truck gets old, is it a crap shoot or there is a way I can prevent setting my house on fire by watching for something?

When an 8 year old iPhone caught on fire, Apple said we never thought anyone would keep it that long. My last truck was 20 years old and in running condition when I sold it. Are our Lithium ion EVs disposable after warranty and when we get in, will we be putting our asses on a ticking time bomb?
The sign that the separator has been pierced is a thermal runaway in that cell ;) Hopefully, the thermal management system stops it from propagating to other cells (see my note on the MachE test)

One thing I forgot to mention is the thermal management system. My in-depth knowledge is at the cell level where there is not a thermal management system, so everything I say about heat could be thrown out the window when it comes to the pack level (like the heat generated by DCFC). Make sure you have an active thermal management system in any EV you buy. Forget convection (Air cooled) cooling like used in the older Leaf's as convection cooling works both ways (hot summer day parked on asphalt in South Texas.

My knowledge of BMSs is limited to know they use bleed resisters to balance cells across the pack. What else they watch and act on, I leave to the Electrical Engineers.

I watch the progress of Lithium plating by looking at discharge capacity curves (there is a distinctive hump at the onset of plating) and changes in the voltage curve.
Sponsored