• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Blue Oval network question

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Apologies if this has been asked before:

I have had my Lightning for 7 months so far, and am loving it. Here's my situation and question:

Part of my job involves driving to different locations, and my work pays for my fuel/charging for work trips. I had to deactivate my blue oval charging network when I first got the truck so I could use my work card to pay at the different chargers. They prefer to see the actual cost for each charging session, so I am not using an EA account, which takes out $10 chunks and never actually shows what the actual cost to charge is.

My question is: Is it possible to specify which card the Blue Oval network uses for charging costs, and does it do like EA does and make standard charges for X amount or does it charge the card for the actual charging session cost?

Thanks in advance!
-Ryan
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You can only connect 1 card at a time. It bills the exact cost of the charging, not like EA. HOWEVER, tax is included in the total, not broken out, if that matters. And it shows as Ford Motor Company, not charging, on the bill. You will get an email with the specifics on it. It will use your free hours though, until they are gone. There is no way around that.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
yes, you simply go into your online Blue Oval account, add the payment method, and select it as DEFAULT...

whenever you activate and charge from your Ford Pass APP, when you've arrived at a 'Blue Oval' station, FORD makes the charge to your preferred method, AND they send you an email showing the exact charges, kwh, etc. I actually PREFER using this method over any of the EA or CP/EVgo apps, themselves - getting an email gives me much better information to process later, and gives me 'proof' of when, where, and how much I charged.

Chargepoint has now also added the optional 'per charge' method, versus the old 'keep a balance' method, which I'm sure we all hated.
EA has not changed yet, but I'll bet it's coming, too.

Either way, you'll probably have to have an 'account' with both of them, regardless, in order for the Ford Pass APP to pass thru your 'charges'... I tried once to cancel my Chargepoint app, thinking that I didn't need it any longer, but then Ford could no longer tie my truck into their system to pass thru the charges.

I think FORD has done an excellent job in handling this. Whether I pull up to an EA station, a Chargepoint, or an EVgo, it all works flawlessly thru the Ford Pass App... hopefully this will be the same for the upcoming integration with Tesla Superchargers.

OP
OP

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
You can only connect 1 card at a time. It bills the exact cost of the charging, not like EA. HOWEVER, tax is included in the total, not broken out, if that matters. And it shows as Ford Motor Company, not charging, on the bill. You will get an email with the specifics on it.
So will it only use the default card that all Ford services use or can you specify which card the charging network uses?

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So will it only use the default card that all Ford services use or can you specify which card the charging network uses?
The default card.

Sponsored
OP
OP

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
The default card.
Thanks to all for the great info. I don't use any of the other "Services", so this should work for me. Trying to get things prepped for the addition of the Tesla chargers next year which (to my understanding) will be charged through the BlueOval service.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks to all for the great info. I don't use any of the other "Services", so this should work for me. Trying to get things prepped for the addition of the Tesla chargers next year which (to my understanding) will be charged through the BlueOval service.
Correct.

I would expect you can tell them "I have to use up some charging hours, and you can then pay me for them at the rate".