• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charge Station Fault -> Charge Fault -> Powertrain Malfunction Fault

mstuewe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I mentioned this in the 6/6 build thread, but figured I should post the experience here in case it applies to anyone else.

On Monday 7/25 the truck threw a charge station fault error. I unplugged the evse and the vehicle reported “plugged in not charging.” Eventually the charge station fault error turned into a charging fault error. A few hours later it became a ”powertrain malfunction/reduced power error.” Wrench is on, vehicle warned to contact the dealer. The worst part was, it wouldnt charge. It didnt charge with my 3rd party charger, my ford mobile charger, or up at a chargepoint location nearby.

Initially the dealership wouldnt see it until Friday the 29th and said they didnt have any loaner vehicles. I called around to other dealers and was told their wait times were weeks or months out. I was basically screwed with a Truck with only 50 miles of range and 3 days before i could get an appointment. Thankfully I contacted my sales associate and he was able to get me a loaner. The truck sat at the dealership from Tuesday thru Friday.

Eventually I talked with the dealership about the service on Friday. They said the tech updated all the modules and did the standard reset procedure. He had to contact Ford for next steps which was to trace out the wiring to identify the source of the fault. Im told because this is the first lightning they have serviced, it will take a few extra days before it can be returned to me. Of course that assumes they actually fix the issue.

Moral of the story, if you have an issue, get a service appointment scheduled ASAP and connect with your sales associate if you have any issues. Who knows how long til they can actually look at it.
Sponsored

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 2023.5 MachE on the way
Occupation
Service Manager
If they ever give you an answer please let us know what they find. I have seen other reports of trucks with similar faults.

OP
OP

mstuewe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
If they ever give you an answer please let us know what they find. I have seen other reports of trucks with similar faults.
Thanks, I didnt get a chance to talk direct with the technician, just a very nice person at the service desk who kept saying how it was the first Lightning so they were going to take their time. I’ll post the details once I get them. Going to call tomorrow afternoon if I dont hear anything earlier.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
On Monday 7/25 the truck threw a charge station fault error. I unplugged the evse and the vehicle reported “plugged in not charging.” Eventually the charge station fault error turned into a charging fault error. A few hours later it became a ”powertrain malfunction/reduced power error.” Wrench is on, vehicle warned to contact the dealer. The worst part was, it wouldnt charge. It didnt charge with my 3rd party charger, my ford mobile charger, or up at a chargepoint location nearby.
Is the error persistent? If you click ok drive away for a few miles and then turn it of for 20 minutes away from your house, do you still get POWERTRAIN MALFUNCTION / REDUCED POWER error?

I had something similar happen to me after I first got my MME. In my case the problem was caused by having Ethernet over Powerline in my house. Removing it solved the problem. May be a long shot.

OP
OP

mstuewe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Is the error persistent? If you click ok drive away for a few miles and then turn it of for 20 minutes away from your house, do you still get POWERTRAIN MALFUNCTION / REDUCED POWER error?

I had something similar happen to me after I first got my MME. In my case the problem was caused by having Ethernet over Powerline in my house. Removing it solved the problem. May be a long shot.
persistent. I drove it about 25 miles and tried multiple charging locations. the tech at ford said the error still showed after updating all the modules.

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
persistent. I drove it about 25 miles and tried multiple charging locations. the tech at ford said the error still showed after updating all the modules.
Yeah. In my case the tech cleared the error and applied a bunch of updates and was able to charge at the dealer without a problem. But when I got home, I got POWERTRAIN MALFUNCTION / REDUCED POWER error again. Your issue appears different.

OP
OP

mstuewe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Received an update. Local dealer technician has more testing to do but thinks one of the modules has a short and will need to be replaced. No ETA on when they will place the order or how long it will take to get the order.

@Ford Senior Master reached out and got me connected to someone at ford corporate, hopefully that moves things along. Thank you!

Side note - this Bronco Sport they gave me is boring. Any chance @Ford Motor Company can hook me up with a sweet ride on par with my Lightning while I wait? :) :) :)

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Service Manager
Received an update. Local dealer technician has more testing to do but thinks one of the modules has a short and will need to be replaced. No ETA on when they will place the order or how long it will take to get the order.

@Ford Senior Master reached out and got me connected to someone at ford corporate, hopefully that moves things along. Thank you!

Side note - this Bronco Sport they gave me is boring. Any chance @Ford Motor Company can hook me up with a sweet ride on par with my Lightning while I wait? :) :) :)
I am sure I didn't help. But I am glad you are getting some movement with the repairs.🙂🙂

Sponsored

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer

sysop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gas
Initially the dealership wouldnt see it until Friday the 29th and said they didnt have any loaner vehicles.
Dumb question, if one had bought the extended warranty which has rental car coverage, would they had given you a rental?

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes the ESP with rental coverage would allow for a rental. Some contracts pay for 5 days and some have 10 days. Keep in mind they pay a set amount per day. Most truck contracts pay a maximum of $60 per day. I'm not sure about other parts of the country but here even rental car companies are having a hard time providing vehicles.

sysop1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gas
They wouldn’t say that this is covered under the mfg warranty and not esp so no rental?

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Service Manager
They wouldn’t say that this is covered under the mfg warranty and not esp so no rental?
The Ford ESP allows for rental even if the repair is covered by factory warranty. Otherwise a loaner is not guaranteed.
Sponsored