• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging DC fast vs home 48amp??

Farmford42

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 Bronco
Occupation
Farmer
I was looking for that thread but can’t seem to find it. Can you point me to it?
I think we have a battery expert on this forum who posted how to make the cells live almost forever

I think we have a battery expert on this forum who has posted how to make the cells live for almost forever. ;)
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
FYI, the one time charge setting is only for DCFC.
The one-time limit can also be used for L2, per the owners manual. For L2, it can even be set after the session begins (unlike DCFC).

OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I noticed the blue lights don't show up anymore while charging showing the charge state. They did my first few charges, I looked in menu and there is a charge lights on /off but still not working.

OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Nevermind I found it under control l/ access, I was looking in settings. 😁

OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
A higher charge rate at any state of charge (SOC) is worse than a lower charge rate at any SOC. Not to say don't use DCFC, but Level 2 is better for the battery in the long run if it meets your needs.
Lately I've been only charging at home and plug in every night at 70 to 80 SOC, then i charge to 90-95 SOC. Should i be letting the SOC get lower or is topping off every night ok?

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Lately I've been only charging at home and plug in every night at 70 to 80 SOC, then i charge to 90-95 SOC. Should i be letting the SOC get lower or is topping off every night ok?
Topping off every night is ok, but unless you really need the range I wouldn't charge over 90%.

OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Topping off every night is ok, but unless you really need the range I wouldn't charge over 90%.
Ok, i can get away with 80 nightly weekdays but right now I'm on call for a trip to get a puppy when ever my wife finds one..
Anyone have a dark colored female Multipoo puppy for sale??

Last edited:
OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Also i have a adjustable 48A charger but i set it to 24-30A since there's no hurry to charge and the cost will be the same charging up to a certain KW fast or slow. I would assume the slower the charge the better for the battery correct?

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Also i have a adjustable 48A charger but i set it to 24-30A since there's no hurry to charge and the cost will be the same charging up to a certain KW fast or slow. I would assume the slower the charge the better for the battery correct?
From what others have posted, AC charging whether at 24a or 80a has basically no detriment to the battery. Another thing to consider, if you live somewhere with a colder climate...having a higher charge rate helps your battery preconditioning and leaves you with a full charge after preconditioning. A lower charge rate requires the battery to use some of its power to precondition (at least from my short experience and monitoring my energy usage). When I charge at 40a, my battery drops to 89% (from it's full charge of 90%) and eventually gets back up to 90 by the end of the preconditioning. When I tested at a lower amperage the percentage of the battery was 86-88% (not a big difference, but still a difference).

Eventually I'll hardwire my Emporia charger and get 48a, I think at 48a the battery is basically untouched during preconditioning.

OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
From what others have posted, AC charging whether at 24a or 80a has basically no detriment to the battery. Another thing to consider, if you live somewhere with a colder climate...having a higher charge rate helps your battery preconditioning and leaves you with a full charge after preconditioning. A lower charge rate requires the battery to use some of its power to precondition (at least from my short experience and monitoring my energy usage). When I charge at 40a, my battery drops to 89% (from it's full charge of 90%) and eventually gets back up to 90 by the end of the preconditioning. When I tested at a lower amperage the percentage of the battery was 86-88% (not a big difference, but still a difference).

Eventually I'll hardwire my Emporia charger and get 48a, I think at 48a the battery is basically untouched during preconditioning.
OK then 48 it is then. I mean that's why I hardwired the Emporia is to get 48.
Thanks..

Sponsored

Calvin H-C

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus Electric 2017, F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Technical Trainer/Writer - Wayside Railway Signalling Maintenance
Since DC charging slows down drastically at 80% and even more at 90%, charging is a huge waste of time. So unless you know that you'll need 100% SOC to get to the next charging station, don't bother.
Not only a waste of time, but could be costly if the DCFC charges by the minute instead of by the kWh (some US locations and all of Canada).

In the 5.5 years of driving a Focus Electric, on occasion where a 100% SOC was desired for the next leg of a trip, I've used a DCFC to bring it up to 90% in 20-25 minutes, then stopped at a nearby restaurant that had a free L2 charger for a meal. ;)