• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging DC fast vs home 48amp??

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Yes, i’ll be installing solar next year. I almost pulled the trigger in May but I didn’t do it. I wish i had.

ETA: i have some quotes that i need refreshed. I’m curious how they have changed since May.
My advice regarding solar is shop around and research. We have found wild variations in prices. One big name installer was double the price of a trusted local installer whom we chose(for the same quality/size, system).

Also use the internet to research the amount of panels needed. Some companies will overestimate the production to try to make a sale. Output sucks Nov-Feb due to clouds and snow.....is pretty good suring spring, summer, early fall.
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
My advice regarding solar is shop around and research. We have found wild variations in prices. One big name installer was double the price of a trusted local installer whom we chose(for the same quality/size, system).

Also use the internet to research the amount of panels needed. Some companies will overestimate the production to try to make a sale. Output sucks Nov-Feb due to clouds and snow.....is pretty good suring spring, summer, early fall.
I got 5 different quotes and there wasn’t much variation. 4 of the 5 were between $3.25-$3.50/W. One was $2.80/W but their proposal was way out in left field, they were proposing a commercial scale ground mounted system.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I got 5 different quotes and there wasn’t much variation. 4 of the 5 were between $3.25-$3.50/W. One was $2.80/W but their proposal was way out in left field, they were proposing a commercial scale ground mounted system.
Really? Weird...

Mine were all over the place (Of course this was in 2019)....

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
For now since my DCFC is free i will do this like you.
100% L2 48A at home for the weekend trips.
Just to clarify:

Is your EA free because the location isn't charging?

Or, is it "free" because you have 250 "free" kWh which isn't really "free", since you can use it when traveling and if home is cheaper you should save it for then.

OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
Just to clarify:

Is your EA free because the location isn't charging?

Or, is it "free" because you have 250 "free" kWh which isn't really "free", since you can use it when traveling and if home is cheaper you should save it for then.
The location is free to anyone😊

🤫

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Can anyone help me with setting a new charge location? When I click add new location it says no new locations found must charge at a location first. I have my home and EA so far that I charge at but the EA doesn't show up, even when I'm at that LOCATION. Also my home address in not cirrect, the address is around the corner from me.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You cannot save DC locations.

If Home works, ignore the address.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I think we have a battery expert on this forum who posted how to make the cells live almost forever
I have a 48amp home charger but have only used it 2 times to charge up over night for a drive to San Diego and the other time to Laguna Beach. Each time charging to 95% so I would not have to worry about charging on the trip.
Since those two times I've been DC fast charging at Electrify America for work 7 miles and around town stuff, I've been down to 8% once and 13% once. All other times have been no less than 30 to 40% when I DC fast charge. My reason at this time for not charging at home is I have free charging at EA right now.
My question is charging on DC fast only in any way degrading the battery? And does charging at a slower 48amp vs DC 150amp give you a longer lasting charge? I know with cell phones if you fast charge all the time your battery will not last as long.
I think we have a battery expert on this forum who has posted how to make the cells live for almost forever. ;)

Sponsored
OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Since DC chargers slow to a crawl at 80% how can that be bad for the battery? This is why the programmed the curve to slow down at 80% to protect the battery.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
A higher charge rate at any state of charge (SOC) is worse than a lower charge rate at any SOC. Not to say don't use DCFC, but Level 2 is better for the battery in the long run if it meets your needs.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I'm curious if the Max Tow Package is visible remotely to Ford. With the dedicated cooling loop Ford could give those with Max Tow a different charging curve. Could, but most likely won't.

OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
A higher charge rate at any state of charge (SOC) is worse than a lower charge rate at any SOC. Not to say don't use DCFC, but Level 2 is better for the battery in the long run if it meets your needs.
So I'm charging tonight with my Emporia charger, I have a choice of the rate on the app up to 48A, the truck is set to charge to 100% but I set the Emporia to 14A which will get me to 80% around the time I get up at 4am. So best practice is to charge at the slowest rate as needed to get the charge level you need at departure?

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
So I'm charging tonight with my Emporia charger, I have a choice of the rate on the app up to 48A, the truck is set to charge to 100% but I set the Emporia to 14A which will get me to 80% around the time I get up at 4am. So best practice is to charge at the slowest rate as needed to get the charge level you need at departure?
I don't have my truck yet, but as I understand it...

Best practice is to leave your charger at 48a. Also, setup your home as a charging location and set your max charge to 90% (80% works too) and set your typical departure time. Also set preferred conditioning settings for your cabin should you choose to do so.

FYI, the one time charge setting is only for DCFC.

Your truck will draw the power it needs to have your vehicle ready (and preconditioned) at your set vehicle departure time.

As I understand the difference with Level 1 and 2 charging is negligible on battery degradation.

The pre-conditioning will also help your range as your cabin is set to your temperature liking.
Sponsored