• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging Location Updates

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1S
Ok, so simple question that I am afraid I know the answer...

I have noticed new locations coming on line over the last 6-12 months are not showing up in the Ford navigation, I have cleared all filters that I can find. I know we all have Connected Navigation for the first 3 years implying we have access to the updates.

Is Ford just that slow at updating maps (which is what I believe is the issue)? Is there somewhere we can send these updates to get them added? Rivian has been really quick to keep these updated, but I believe that is likely through the purchase of ABRP.

What it means is I have to use Apple Maps to navigate to know the projected remaining percentages to find the stops, but it does not have realtime update to know how much charge to add at each stop. ABRP is ok at this, but does not have the live percentages. The Ford Navigation will continue to try and take you somewhere else, even when plugged into a DCFC. Heading into the winter, it is going to cause a bit of an issue for PreConditioning.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Ok, so simple question that I am afraid I know the answer...

I have noticed new locations coming on line over the last 6-12 months are not showing up in the Ford navigation, I have cleared all filters that I can find. I know we all have Connected Navigation for the first 3 years implying we have access to the updates.

Is Ford just that slow at updating maps (which is what I believe is the issue)? Is there somewhere we can send these updates to get them added? Rivian has been really quick to keep these updated, but I believe that is likely through the purchase of ABRP.

What it means is I have to use Apple Maps to navigate to know the projected remaining percentages to find the stops, but it does not have realtime update to know how much charge to add at each stop. ABRP is ok at this, but does not have the live percentages. The Ford Navigation will continue to try and take you somewhere else, even when plugged into a DCFC. Heading into the winter, it is going to cause a bit of an issue for PreConditioning.
I gave up on the Ford Nav a while ago. I just use ABRP to plan the route and then Google maps to go from charging point to charging point. Ford once added 10 hours to a 9 hour drive somehow.....(no detours either, it just had not idea on the timing of the route so I didn't trust it.).

I tried the preconditioning (using Ford nav to a charger) and didn't notice any real difference in charging rate even in the middle of winter.

Refactoringdr

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2023 Lightning Platinum (ER)
I gave up on the Ford Nav a while ago. I just use ABRP to plan the route and then Google maps to go from charging point to charging point. Ford once added 10 hours to a 9 hour drive somehow.....(no detours either, it just had not idea on the timing of the route so I didn't trust it.).

I tried the preconditioning (using Ford nav to a charger) and didn't notice any real difference in charging rate even in the middle of winter.
This.

I use ABRP to plan long roadtrips and then use Apple Maps (with the new EV routing) for the actual trip. ABRP seems almost always spot-on (taking into account wind, temp, traffic, etc) with the arrival SOC. I will then occasionally coerce Apple Maps into stopping or going to the chargers suggested by ABRP.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Plugshare is community guided and has good updating from what I've found.

Ford adds and removes locations based on a criteria and at some sort of schedule. Maybe it's quarterly, maybe it's semi annually, don't know but I know that most auto manufacturers are terrible at it so I always have a way to double check.

Sponsored
OP
OP
flypony53

flypony53

First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, Rivian R1S
There are tools out there like Plugshare, ABRP, etc. All of which I use, and all of which are not using the most accurate, up to date SoC to make decisions. Even Apple maps EV integration seems to have a delay from the information sent. Being familiar with Tesla and Rivian, both seem to be fairly accurate and up to date with information based on arrival SoC. Although many folks think the guess o' meter is wildly off in the Tesla, the arrival SoC in navigation is usually spot on for me. They take on many aspects of the terrain, wind, driving conditions, etc. ABRP is usually fairly good at predicting arrival SoC, but it bases it on a pre-set efficiency rating you provide.

was just more of an observation to see if others were seeing the same. My truck is fully up to date, but noticed this. Not something that prevents me from using or enjoying it. Hope everyone has an awesome Christmas and Holiday season!

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
My experience using the truck to navigate me to chargers it suggests has been that it favors Electrify America, and sometimes takes me miles off the Interstate, likely going past other chargers (example: it took me off I 81 and I 476 giving me a route right through downtown Scranton, PA) using chargers at Sheetz gas stations where food options were extremely limited. But the chargers worked.

It wanted me to charge when the GOM still said I had roughly 75 miles left.
Sponsored