• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

EVSE location

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
As I have to more one charger and add another, I have some options for locations. Fitting my Volt in the garage is fine, but makes it tight to get around, so we only do this in winter. While it would fit, the Lightning would be impossible to get around, so it will stay outside.

Considering the above, I could install the chargers (Clipper Creek & FCSP) outside where they will nearly always be used. I hesitate to do this as I will a. have to hammer drill through the concrete wall (ICF) and b. mount them on lap siding. I am leaning towards mounting them on the inside and running the cords under to each side to the roll-up door. I do this with the Clipper Creek now, which leaves a small gap in the door seal, and in a pinch (sub-zero temps) I could put both vehicles in the garage and still charge them.

There are plenty of opinions on this site, please let me know what I may be missing?
Sponsored

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
We have a clipper creek in our garage, where we have room. We opted for the 25 foot cord, so that when guests come over that have an EV, we can run it out through the garage to charge them up.

I don't see any reason why putting the EVSE inside, and running the cable outside would be an issue. Just get yourself a J 1772 (or similar) wall holder, and you can mount the holder to the wall and hold the cable without having to drill too deep.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Depends a little on how often you will actually need to charge to stay above maybe 40% SOC. Keeping the EVSE out of direct sunlight will make the hardware/cord last longer. Closing garage door on cord is surely not an approved use and a liability risk. If usage profile can handle it I'd put inside in location you can pull in once a week or so and charge. Otherwise put outdoors but try to locate outside of direct sun.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
You don't have to close the door on the cord if you adjust the limits for the door. Closed can be open an inch, or so the weather stripping just touches. Or it can be like one BB of my doors with a cut in the weather stripping that the cord fits through. One of my EVSEs is positioned to be able to charge both inside and outside (not blocking the garage). The other is a different garage bay and in a pinch it works for outside, but is best inside.

OP
OP
PV2EV

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think the Clipper Creek came with the holder, and I use it. Wonder if Ford will have one for the FCSP CCS plug end?

Good point on crushing the cable, but we have been doing this for 7 years. I think we have gotten away with it as we have small motor Sommer door opener. I might just add a wood block next to each cable. WIll likely need to let the barn cats in the garage to get the mice that will get in.

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
I think the Clipper Creek came with the holder, and I use it. Wonder if Ford will have one for the FCSP CCS plug end?
If not, you can use a J1772 plug holder and trim a bit of the bottom flange to accommodate the notch for the CCS plug.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Wonder if placing an outdoor evse on a pedestal might prevent the ICF and siding issue? A simple 6x6 post might last decades.

Labs4Lightning

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 150 lariat, 22 lightning lariat blend 4/18/22
Wonder if placing an outdoor evse on a pedestal might prevent the ICF and siding issue? A simple 6x6 post might last decades.
Or 4x4 pt 3/4 pres treated plywood if needed for mounting backplate.
though Perhaps op doesn’t want to drill for electric either

OP
OP
PV2EV

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Or 4x4 pt 3/4 pres treated plywood if needed for mounting backplate.
though Perhaps op doesn’t want to drill for electric either
I would then have to drill and trench. Makes sense if I can connect the HIS/FCSP to my 400amp meter box on the outside of the house.

Turns out I don't have the space inside the garage door for either EVSE on either side. The one option I have is to mount the EVSE high and run the cords out the top corners of the garage door, then down the sides to a holder which might look funky.

Does the EVSE have to be accessible from the ground per NEC?
Sponsored