• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Customer-Installed Aftermarket Trailer Camera

wayne b

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB
Towing a trailer is a main reason I got the truck, and it has the great rear hitch camera system and large screen. It's confusing as to why this isn't more of a straightforward solution. Apologies for jumping on this thread (there are several) with my ignorance/questions. My understanding from this thread and others is the choices are:
  • $900 Ford camera that is not yet shipping. With the promise that it's integrated and tested.
  • aftermarket cameras that can be wired and display in the AUX camera screen, but questions about whether they will display while moving/towing. From following some of the links, seems like $300-600 is the price range.
I'm towing an airstream that has a crappy Voyager camera that I'd like to upgrade at some point. The camera is wired for power, but it's wireless signal. Are the two choices above equal in terms of install time/effort in terms of getting the video signal wire to the hitch? One Ford video shows the wire from the camera strung along the roof of the trailer, is it also possible to go under the trailer? Are either Ford or aftermarket better or worse for driving (widest view) vs. backing up/parking?
Sponsored

Last edited:

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 Lariat 500A MaxTow 3.5L EB
Occupation
retired
Does anyone have new information on this? I have an XLT HDPP/MaxTow with Co-Pilot Assist on order. That includes/requires 360 degree cameras. From that, I assume the infrastructure exists on the truck.

I have an option to buy a new-in-box SuperDuty camera/TPMS kit for a 2018 truck. I'm sure the wire harness can't accommodate the yaw sensor because it didn't exist in 2018, but that the other wires all work the same and probably go to the same pins as those on the 2022 with yaw sensor. If that's the case, I'm willing to forego the yaw sensor (I haven't used the backup system on my 2016 since I bought it) or maybe add the extra conductors to the yaw sensors.

The XLT on order has only an 8" screen. While the 12" would obviously be better, the 8" works for me as a backup camera well enough now on my 2016

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ
Occupation
Ford service manager
I assume the infrastructure exists on the truck.
It donā€™t.
Ford released the truck without the capabilities and wonā€™t admit it.
Theyā€™d rather ignore the problem than admit to it and risk having to give refunds or worse, a class action.
Who wants to join a class action with me?!

Sponsored

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ
Occupation
Ford service manager
Your occupation says "ford service manager". Is that as in working for a dealer? Or as in spending all your spare time managing the service on your Fords?
I was a service manager at a ford dealer up until 3 months ago.
Couldnā€™t put up with Fordā€™s practices, so I went on to a different manufacturer after 18 years.

GChurch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Tremor 402a
It donā€™t.
Ford released the truck without the capabilities and wonā€™t admit it.
Theyā€™d rather ignore the problem than admit to it and risk having to give refunds or worse, a class action.
Who wants to join a class action with me?!
I figured out how to get OEM trailer TPMS sensor and backup camera working by swapping the smart-trailer/backup sensor wire harness that is included with 21ā€™ model year+ f150s with the 22ā€™ model year f250 equivalent harness. (I have a 402a F150 Tremor). Ford should have to do this free for anyone who wants the option (in my opinion) since they marketed it. Ridiculous that we should have to jump through such hoops to have the feature on our trucks.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/any-update-on-a-trailer-tmps-system.4989/page-5

It would be cool to try a better quality 3rd party camera than the most recently released ford trailer camera and should be doable if someone figures out the pinout on the ford trailer camera. The low-light quality in OEM is the worst part but it still gives you more than enough to see cars at night switching lanes on the highway etc. **Update** found this which looks to have compatible plug with stock harness. If camera-source wants to sponsor me Iā€™ll try it out https://camerasource.com/2017-super-duty-w-360-view-commercial-trailer-cam.html

Attachments

Last edited:

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
... It would be cool to try a better quality 3rd party camera than the most recently released ford trailer camera and should be doable if someone figures out the pinout on the ford trailer camera. The low-light quality in OEM is the worst part but it still gives you more than enough to see cars at night switching lanes on the highway etc. **Update** found this which looks to have compatible plug with stock harness. If camera-source wants to sponsor me Iā€™ll try it out https://camerasource.com/2017-super-duty-w-360-view-commercial-trailer-cam.html
The OEM design is that the camera turns on only in reverse, correct? Or can you select to use it as an observation (continuously on) camera?

GChurch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Tremor 402a
The OEM design is that the camera turns on only in reverse, correct? Or can you select to use it as an observation (continuously on) camera?
You can select it continuously on, and you can use it in split screen mode with nav/CarPlay/etc. You have to select it when in reverse, but you can view with split trailer views and shows animation of yaw sensor position indicator in top right. See the end of attached video.

Attachments

Sponsored

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
You can select it continuously on, and you can use it in split screen mode with nav/CarPlay/etc. You have to select it when in reverse, but you can view with split trailer views and shows animation of yaw sensor position indicator in top right. See the end of attached video.
That does look useful.

billchurch

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 3.5L PB, 7.2KW, Max Tow, FX4
This is on the 2021 F150? Iā€˜ve been reading a lot of threads but there seems to be confusion as to what I should order. Do you have the part number?

strykerpsg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F250 KR Tremor and 19 Challenger Redeye
Occupation
Private Military Contractor
Hi all!

Following this thread but very interested in the customer placed camera for my new Black Series HQ21. I do have a 22 F250 with ultimate tow package and pretty sure Sync4. Can anyone confirm or deny the ability to use a full time on to use as a rear view mirror when towing a trailer?

Thanks in advance.
Matt

heffer86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 501A
I figured out how to get OEM trailer TPMS sensor and backup camera working by swapping the smart-trailer/backup sensor wire harness that is included with 21ā€™ model year+ f150s with the 22ā€™ model year f250 equivalent harness. (I have a 402a F150 Tremor). Ford should have to do this free for anyone who wants the option (in my opinion) since they marketed it. Ridiculous that we should have to jump through such hoops to have the feature on our trucks.
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/any-update-on-a-trailer-tmps-system.4989/page-5

It would be cool to try a better quality 3rd party camera than the most recently released ford trailer camera and should be doable if someone figures out the pinout on the ford trailer camera. The low-light quality in OEM is the worst part but it still gives you more than enough to see cars at night switching lanes on the highway etc. **Update** found this which looks to have compatible plug with stock harness. If camera-source wants to sponsor me Iā€™ll try it out https://camerasource.com/2017-super-duty-w-360-view-commercial-trailer-cam.html
Do you have the part# of the harness you replaced?

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer