• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cybertruck riding at max height suspension (video)

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
If I recall Elon said it was that shape because that is what he wanted when he was younger? I don’t think it had anything to do with aerodynamics, either way, the weight alone is going to negate any aerodynamic advantage it might have.

There are 3 CT’s supposedly running around. It’s a curb, it’s not like he’s going over some rough terrain…. This all says that this truck isn’t ready and won’t be ready for a long time…
People have run fluid models on the CT and it is good aerodynamically with a Cd of 0.39 vs 0.55-0.65 for a conventional truck. There's a reason why vehicles designed for aero tend to have a smooth front ramp followed by a taper. It's also is unlikely to weigh more than other EV trucks, so not sure where that criticism comes from.

I'm not sure where you get such confidence in your predictions based on one guy driving a test CT up a hill in the parking lot during some Tesla event.
Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
The design is not growing on me as I thought it would. They're going to sell a lot of them, but I don't think it's going to be the smash hit that they're anticipating. It's too crazy for traditional truck owners and it's going to be way too large for most people new to half-ton trucks. I feel like I've read a lot of posts here and on Reddit about people trading in their Lightnings for another EV because it was too big--it's going to be this x10 for the CT.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
People have run fluid models on the CT and it is good aerodynamically with a Cd of 0.39 vs 0.55-0.65 for a conventional truck. There's a reason why vehicles designed for aero tend to have a smooth front ramp followed by a taper. It's also is unlikely to weigh more than other EV trucks, so not sure where that criticism comes from.

I'm not sure where you get such confidence in your predictions based on one guy driving a test CT up a hill in the parking lot during some Tesla event.
With cameras everywhere you would think Tesla would want to show it’s capabilities on a curb😂

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I guess you're right. The CT won't be able to go over a curb.
Not in this prototype form apparently ……… but it’s coming soon 😂

Last edited:

Sponsored

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The design is not growing on me as I thought it would. They're going to sell a lot of them, but I don't think it's going to be the smash hit that they're anticipating. It's too crazy for traditional truck owners and it's going to be way too large for most people new to half-ton trucks. I feel like I've read a lot of posts here and on Reddit about people trading in their Lightnings for another EV because it was too big--it's going to be this x10 for the CT.
A lot of people will move from the Y to the CT if it's comparable in cost. Many of those people will regret it.

That doesn't mean the CT won't be a good vehicle, but I don't think it will make a great vehicle in dense urban areas where Tesla has historically sold well.

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER

While the taper does offer improved aero, the rest of the design does not. If it had a curve up top instead of an edge it would probably do even better by delaying flow separation. It's been years since I've been in a wind tunnel, but I guarantee that sharp edge causes the air to detach. Likewise, none of those sharp edges and corners are doing them any good. If they had made the Cyber Truck more normal looking while keeping the same overall profile it would likely have pretty decent improvements. As for the weight, I sincerely doubt it's going to weigh much less considering batteries are one of the largest drivers behind that. Granted, I guess we'll see when they eventually announce it's price, range, and performance.

The Truck may have benefits from its design, but it is still first and foremost a statement. If they wanted 100% practicality, it wouldn't look the way it does. As for bed sides, I used mine all the time on my Ranger.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
While the taper does offer improved aero, the rest of the design does not. If it had a curve up top instead of an edge it would probably do even better by delaying flow separation. It's been years since I've been in a wind tunnel, but I guarantee that sharp edge causes the air to detach. Likewise, none of those sharp edges and corners are doing them any good. If they had made the Cyber Truck more normal looking while keeping the same overall profile it would likely have pretty decent improvements. As for the weight, I sincerely doubt it's going to weigh much less considering batteries are one of the largest drivers behind that. Granted, I guess we'll see when they eventually announce it's price, range, and performance.

The Truck may have benefits from its design, but it is still first and foremost a statement. If they wanted 100% practicality, it wouldn't look the way it does. As for bed sides, I used mine all the time on my Ranger.
I agree with what you said, but I didn't say it was optimal, just better than a regular truck. The fluid models for CT predict significantly better aero than regular truck. The front angles and fenders aren't optimal, but the flow handles the roof angle fine.

Ranger is small compared to current full size. Have you tried reaching into a F150/Silverado lately? The Tremor/TrailBoss versions are especially hard to reach into.

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Ranger is small compared to current full size. Have you tried reaching into a F150/Silverado lately? The Tremor/TrailBoss versions are especially hard to reach into.
It was the new Ranger so not quite as small as previous generations, but if you step up on the tire you can reach anything.
Sponsored