• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Cybertruck bed slopes at the sides

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
The CT was never a competition for the big three, its more of an adventure truck like the Rivian.
So not being able to carry plywood like an F150 is a non issue for the fans of that truck.
Sponsored

OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
The CT was never a competition for the big three, its more of an adventure truck like the Rivian.
So not being able to carry plywood like an F150 is a non issue for the fans of that truck.
The CT is a "truck" that can't be used as truck. 😜

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
The CT is a "truck" that can't be used as truck. 😜
I guess the Maverick isn't the truck because it's less capable than an F150 but then, I guess an F150 isn't a real truck because it's less capable than a superduty. Like you said the CT is a truck. Just because it may not suit your needs doesn't mean it cant be used like a truck that it is.😜

OP
OP
detansinn

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
I guess the Maverick isn't the truck because it's less capable than an F150 but then, I guess an F150 isn't a real truck because it's less capable than a superduty. Like you said the CT is a truck. Just because it may not suit your needs doesn't mean it cant be used like a truck that it is.😜
The Maverick has a traditional style bed that can be loaded from the sides and those sides are vertical so that you can safely carry most types of loads.

If this is the compromised bed design that Tesla is going with, a Cybertruck is truly a useless thing.

True, I may be biased as I actually use the bed of my F150 to haul things around. I'm not trying to make a statement in the Whole Foods parking lot.

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
The Maverick has a traditional style bed that can be loaded from the sides and those sides are vertical so that you can safely carry most types of loads.

If this is the compromised bed design that Tesla is going with, a Cybertruck is truly a useless thing.

True, I may be biased as I actually use the bed of my F150 to haul things around. I'm not trying to make a statement in the Whole Foods parking lot.
If loading from the side is one of your criteria. Then, a lifted F150 on 40 iinch tires is also useless as a truck.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
If loading from the side is one of your criteria. Then, a lifted F150 on 40 iinch tires is also useless as a truck.
Yup - pretty much agree with that. Especially the ones with huge wheels and "off-road" tires that have zero actual sidewall.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Used my F150 Lightning to move my daughter back to school. None of her stuff was 4x8 sheets of plywood.
But she had a lot of clothes and I did run out of payload volume. Wish I had my old 6'8" bed of my Chevy 2500. That bed was longer AND wider between the sides than my Ford.
Luckily, the Ford has the cavernous back seat area. Seems like it can carry as much as the bed.

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
Agree.
If you want to use your truck to haul stuff, its not just 48 inch minimum width that matters. Loading height, agility reach over the sides, and total volume all matter. Conventional full size trucks have beds that are over 6 feet wide and 6.5 feet or 8 feet long. At least 40 and up to 50 square feet of cargo area. Cybertruck looks to be well under 30 square feet of bed area, and part of that is overhung by the back of the cab.
And yes, it is a shame that they are all now so high you can no longer reach over the sides.
Sure, a truck that is 52 inches wide for the whole length of the bed can still haul plywood, but it is going to feel really tiny when you start loading boxes, or furniture, or construction materials, or yard equipment, or ATVs, or motorcycles, or outdoor gear...

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Agree.
If you want to use your truck to haul stuff, its not just 48 inch minimum width that matters. Loading height, agility reach over the sides, and total volume all matter. Conventional full size trucks have beds that are over 6 feet wide and 6.5 feet or 8 feet long. At least 40 and up to 50 square feet of cargo area. Cybertruck looks to be well under 30 square feet of bed area, and part of that is overhung by the back of the cab.
And yes, it is a shame that they are all now so high you can no longer reach over the sides.
Sure, a truck that is 52 inches wide for the whole length of the bed can still haul plywood, but it is going to feel really tiny when you start loading boxes, or furniture, or construction materials, or yard equipment, or ATVs, or motorcycles, or outdoor gear...
That's all well and good but the CT is not a work truck. And for the people who buy it I'm sure it'll be as useful for what ever they plan on doing with it.

Sponsored

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
Used my F150 Lightning to move my daughter back to school. None of her stuff was 4x8 sheets of plywood.
But she had a lot of clothes and I did run out of payload volume. Wish I had my old 6'8" bed of my Chevy 2500. That bed was longer AND wider between the sides than my Ford.
Luckily, the Ford has the cavernous back seat area. Seems like it can carry as much as the bed.
Frunk is bigger than most SUVs behind the seats storage. That should have helped too.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Frunk is bigger than most SUVs behind the seats storage. That should have helped too.
Yup - taking my daughter to college was a full bed and a full Frunk. Didn't need to put anything in the cab except people.

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
This is an interesting read. I need payload and towing capacity, but most importantly I need a truck that is reliable. I know I’m in the minority, but the Lighting has not achieved reliability for me. I’ll take reliable ugly, but that remains to be seen with CT. A running truck with sloped sides will be better than a broken truck with straight sides.

mme_and_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 Iced White, 2023 Lightning Platinum
This is an interesting read. I need payload and towing capacity, but most importantly I need a truck that is reliable. I know I’m in the minority, but the Lighting has not achieved reliability for me. I’ll take reliable ugly, but that remains to be seen with CT. A running truck with sloped sides will be better than a broken truck with straight sides.
Just wondering, do you have a 2022 MY or early build 2023?

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat