• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Device under dashboard next to OBD. What is it?

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
I just saw this device under the dashboard next to the obd reader.

seems like some kind of aftermarket install.

do you have it? Does anybody know what it is?
Ford F-150 Lightning Device under dashboard next to OBD. What is it? 0947E407-8D8F-48E2-91B7-71ACE0B50AFC

Ford F-150 Lightning Device under dashboard next to OBD. What is it? D17A173A-1210-4F8E-BA30-4D4A6F35C41F
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Anything from the factory isn't installed with a zip tie. I would review your purchase paperwork to see what the dealer added.

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
If I had to guess it's an immobilizer that your dealership installed to try to sell you an immobilizer chip/key. Often times these sorts of devices are all installed by default as new vehicles are PDI'd and then they'll try to sell you the feature/function after the hardware is installed. It's additional profit to the dealer. If you don't opt for it, your factor wiring is still hacked up even though you don't want it. That doesn't have the look of a factory installed item and that's my best guess given the limited about of details.

Sponsored

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
I started this thread thinking "original poster is probably crazy and paranoid" and then ended up with, "shady car dealerships are the absolute worst" . Would ruin my day finding out something like this was left in my truck.

OP
OP

antimatterparticle

First Name
Higgs boson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Y,150,4XE
I started this thread thinking "original poster is probably crazy and paranoid" and then ended up with, "shady car dealerships are the absolute worst" . Would ruin my day finding out something like this was left in my truck.
the dealership that I purchased the truck from gave me the best dealership experience I had in many ways. So I do not really blame them. They were working around my schedule so probably did not have time to remove it once I declined coverage.

I do not want to have that drain on the battery so I will ask them to remove it. Hopefully it is not a pain to remove it.

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
the dealership that I purchased the truck from gave me the best dealership experience I had in many ways. So I do not really blame them. They were working around my schedule so probably did not have time to remove it once I declined coverage.

I do not want to have that drain on the battery so I will ask them to remove it. Hopefully it is not a pain to remove it.
That's not the point, really. It should have never been installed in the first place. Even if they remove it, the damage has likely already been done to the factory wiring to install it in the first place. The amount of energy (if any before it's activated) is nominal so I wouldn't have it removed as an energy saving measure. Your tire pressure fluctuations will likely affect the overall energy consumption 100x more than this device to give you an idea and most people don't fret too much about that. Other than potential wiring issues down the road it's not really much of an issue and most owners wouldn't ever realize it. Personally, I'd be pissed but I'm far more particular about my tire pressure and vehicles that most users. ;)

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I just saw this device under the dashboard next to the obd reader.

seems like some kind of aftermarket install.

do you have it? Does anybody know what it is?
0947E407-8D8F-48E2-91B7-71ACE0B50AFC.jpeg

D17A173A-1210-4F8E-BA30-4D4A6F35C41F.jpeg
Don't take this the wrong way..but there are *some* dealers who do this as a preventative measure if they think you're a flight risk (or the truck is). This way its easy to track down or repo the truck.

Did you order this truck or is this a demo?

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Don't take this the wrong way..but there are *some* dealers who do this as a preventative measure if they think you're a flight risk (or the truck is). This way its easy to track down or repo the truck.

Did you order this truck or is this a demo?
The dealership doesn't care because they're not the lending institution. Once the sale is processed they get paid and you're the bank's problem if you financed the truck. It's up to the bank to repo the truck if you miss a payment but it has nothing to do with the dealership.

Sponsored

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
the dealership that I purchased the truck from gave me the best dealership experience I had in many ways. So I do not really blame them.
That’s great to hear . I also purchase my vehicles from a really wonderful Ford dealership so it’s nice to there are still some good ones left . It’s surprising they still install these by default though . They must have an extremely good conversion rate on sales.

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Dealers can be the worst.

I recently learned that the blinking high mounted center brake lamp is a dealer installed option that requires messing with the stock wiring. You can buy a module for $10 on Amazon and dealers mark it as a $100+ add on.

Every time I see a blinking stop lamp I lose more faith in legacy auto dealers.
Sponsored