• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Electrical demand with more EVs on the road. Is there enough power supply for future growth?

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech
I see that California is experiencing issues with power consumption of its users and moving to level 3 grid emergency with possible rolling power outages possible to save energy. http://www.caiso.com/Documents/consumers-advised-to-be-prepared-for-possible-outages.pdf

How does this affect owners who are new to EV? Is there anything in place to expand the capacity at a state level, or even federally? Will this cause electric costs to rise as well?

I’m very new to this and was just curious how people handle this currently if they plan on having their truck charged and there is an unexpected outage.

@metroshot have you dealt with this before?
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I see that California is experiencing issues with power consumption of its users and moving to level 3 grid emergency with possible rolling power outages possible to save energy. http://www.caiso.com/Documents/consumers-advised-to-be-prepared-for-possible-outages.pdf

How does this affect owners who are new to EV? Is there anything in place to expand the capacity at a state level, or even federally? Will this cause electric costs to rise as well?

I’m very new to this and was just curious how people handle this currently if they plan on having their truck charged and there is an unexpected outage.

@metroshot have you dealt with this before?
We have had a number of voluntary energy saving days and weeks but hardly had to deal with pre-announced rolling blackouts.

I have been very lucky so far with SCE as their grid is very stable and don't have a need for total home integration system.

Rates though have gone way up over the years and expect more rate increases as the demand gets even more.

Last time we had a blackout was 1 hour about 3 years ago.

My Lightning gets charged once a week on the weekend when rates are lowest ($0.20 kWh) - morning to early afternoon.

Otherwise other times will cost 2x or 3x more.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Lots of great videos on this subject online, here is one of my favorite.

Bottom line, yes the grid needs to grow to handle EVs, but that is a slower growth rate than we have seen over the last 50 years or so. The main thing helping EVs is that most of them will charge at normal low points in the grid, so the peak demand doesn't go up as much as you think

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Great video!! I think I'll check out more of his channel.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I just read an article about Texas and how much they expected to require. The report was a number of stakeholders that included car makers and electric as well as community. They seemed to suggest that if everyone charged their EV on the same day then they would take 1/10 of the available overhead.

The issue with EV's is they really need to be charged off peak. The peak versus lull is wide in some areas with huge AC or industrial.

In areas that have programs like turn off hot water heater or AC based on demand they can easily implement a reduction or halt of evse charging.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
I have been very lucky so far with SCE as their grid is very stable and don't have a need for total home integration system.
HAHAHA, did you post this from your phone's hotspot?

That's how I was surfing the site when SCE (on my block anyway) was down between 3 and 5pm today :D

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
HAHAHA, did you post this from your phone's hotspot?

That's how I was surfing the site when SCE (on my block anyway) was down between 3 and 5pm today :D
Whoa, you had a rolling blackout ?

Did you get any notice before it shut down ?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Huge amounts of electricity can be generated at night when normal usage is low and when most homeowners would charge. Not everyone can charge then, but it is manageable if we want it to be.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Whoa, you had a rolling blackout ?

Did you get any notice before it shut down ?
I didn't get a notice other than the normal "we may have to do a blackout" messages everyone seems to be getting. It looks like it might have been a "repair outage" and not necessarily a blackout but I don't really know and didn't want to waste the joke's opportunity :)

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
California is a joke!. Newsome is a joke! There can be power for all with good policy.
Just spin your wind turbines faster Im sure it'll work out! Bottom line is there is there still a place for fossil fuel powered vehicles and/or power plants. If you like EV's that much then put your own money into Solar. If not you are just diverting your emissions from Gas stations and tailpipes to "fossil fueled" powered power plants.

Drayday55

First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Contractor
Luebri. Fyi. I'm not on team wind and solar. If I had my way I'd build 10 Nuclear plants and tear down all the stupid fans. One of the reasons California is in this mess is because the politicians bow down to the false god of climate change. California has enough fossil fuel to power the western hemisphere. Go figure.

Just spin your wind turbines faster Im sure it'll work out! Bottom line is there is there still a place for fossil fuel powered vehicles and/or power plants. If you like EV's that much then put your own money into Solar. If not you are just diverting your emissions from Gas stations and tailpipes to "fossil fueled" powered power plants.

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
Lots of great videos on this subject online, here is one of my favorite.

Bottom line, yes the grid needs to grow to handle EVs, but that is a slower growth rate than we have seen over the last 50 years or so. The main thing helping EVs is that most of them will charge at normal low points in the grid, so the peak demand doesn't go up as much as you think
I disagree, this video is lunacy. We've been able to keep up and exponentially increase electric output due to the "fossil fuel" power plants. If you outlaw those and rely and on "green" power plants it will not scale, not without the homeowner putting huge skin in the game to charge at home via solar. California is the perfect example of this failed experiment, highest adoption rate of EV's but trying to get a new power plant built is impossible. So bottom line, can we scale electricity usage?.?.?.? yes, if we build more fossil fuel power plants or people move to rural areas where solar is easier to rollout on a per user basis.
Sponsored