• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
SOH. Since you didn't post your mileage I'm going to assume you are typical at 10-15k miles a year
Thanks for the quick response. I am at 8K and I think mine dropped from 100% to 98.5% around 6K so it is earlier than most. But my pack voltage variation is still not too bad. I have no idea how they determine SOH. Since they keep track of age of battery, that may be a factor. When I hit 100K, my battery will be at least 10 years old.

Your report gives me hope. Looking forward to see you breaking 300K barrier.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Thanks for the quick response. I am at 8K and I think mine dropped from 100% to 98.5% around 6K so it is earlier than most. But my pack voltage variation is still not too bad. I have no idea how they determine SOH. Since they keep track of age of battery, that may be a factor. When I hit 100K, my battery will be at least 10 years old.

Your report gives me hope. Looking forward to see you breaking 300K barrier.
This discussion makes me wonder what the fuel economy degradation of a gasoline engine is over the course of the first year. I have never once gotten the EPA rating from a ICE car no matter how new but I've never even thought about how much it degrades over the life of the car because there are so many variables like weather, speed, etc. But with electric cars we are able to get pretty precise data about the the health of the core parts of the vehicle. It does make me wonder if we are holding EVs to a higher standard than ICE vehicles because we typically have much more and better data to fret over. Just a thought.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@kyl
This discussion makes me wonder what the fuel economy degradation of a gasoline engine is over the course of the first year. I have never once gotten the EPA rating from a ICE car no matter how new but I've never even thought about how much it degrades over the life of the car because there are so many variables like weather, speed, etc. But with electric cars we are able to get pretty precise data about the the health of the core parts of the vehicle. It does make me wonder if we are holding EVs to a higher standard than ICE vehicles because we typically have much more and better data to fret over. Just a thought.

If over longer periods of time people can get SOH numbers like yours with statistically insignificant battery failiour, the concerns will go away. However if range decrease by 70% in 10 years, then I doubt many ICE car gas tanks would shrink that much. Inefficiencies in ball bearings and such is shared between two vehicles. Gas engines however vs electric motor inefficiencies over time may favor electric. Not sure.

p.s. Since ICE is inefficient to begin with and gas tanks carry a lot more energy than batteries, deterioration in ICE may not be as noticeable.

Edit: Chinese are going to put Sodium-Ion batteries in their smaller cars and they expect the price to drop from initial $90/Kwh to $45/Kwh in a year or two once they ramp up. Compare to $135/Kwh for Lithium-Ion, you could replace a 40 Kwh pack in a small car for the price of Lightning break light. Of course that wouldn’t work for us due to lower power density.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
Of course that wouldn’t work for us due to lower power density.
I'm not so sure. The Lightning was not design to be an electric truck from the ground up. My understanding is they tried to use as many parts from the F-150 ICE as possible. If they did do a ground up design then I think there is plenty of space to fit a physically larger battery. Anyway, I've got a few years before I need to worry about a replacement so we'll see how things work out.

Last edited:

Acottrell

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat Iced Blue ER
With that many miles, what has been your experience with one pedal braking and brake life? I am guessing you aren’t using it for these long drives as it can get quite aggressive when you just take your foot off the throttle pedal for hill descents in my experience.

Also what have you found to be the best driving speed vs charge time strategy with your road trips?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
With that many miles, what has been your experience with one pedal braking and brake life? I am guessing you aren’t using it for these long drives as it can get quite aggressive when you just take your foot off the throttle pedal for hill descents in my experience.
I have never used nor will I ever use one pedal driving. I'm on cruise control for every inch that I can be on cruise control.

Also what have you found to be the best driving speed vs charge time strategy with your road trips?
For long trips I've found that the 20% to 80% range is my preference because it gives me enough range to be able to handle a sudden head wind and still make my planned charging station. I prefer to charge more often than to stretch it out unless I need more time at a charger to get more sleep. Then I'll set the one time charge limit to 95%.

In real world driving when you have to take into consideration wind, temps, range to the next chargers, human fatigue, etc, a simple straight forward algorithm gets really messy. Charge when it is good for you to, never ever cut it down to the wire because it is hard on the battery, and it is time consuming and expensive if you don't make it.

All it takes is one mistake to waste a bunch of time, and then fork out a bunch of money to a tow truck.

Last edited:

4BLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT-SR Max Tow Azure Gray Metallic
I’m curious what app you are using for the car scanning report and what Obd reader you have? Thanks for the great write up!

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Letting it run down below 10% should make you feel as guilty as when your wife catches you looking at that new hot neighbor.
Feeling guilty only when you get caught .... that is the kinda conscience I could live with if I was a politician ;)

OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I just took my 2018 Volvo from Quantico, VA to Pikesville, MD (north of Baltimore). I got 37 mpg on the way up and 35 mpg on the way back. The car has 52,000 miles on it and it is rated for 22 city/31 highway and 25 combined. You can beat the EPA estimates in both the ICE, Hybrid and BEV vehicles if you don't drive aggressively.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Helium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning
I just took my 2018 Volvo from Quantico, VA to Pikesville, MD (north of Baltimore). I got 37 mpg on the way up and 35 mpg on the way back. The car has 52,000 miles on it and it is rated for 22 city/31 highway and 25 combined. You can beat the EPA estimates in both the ICE, Hybrid and BEV vehicles if you don't drive aggressively.
Over 90% of the time I'm in cruise control at or immediately around the speed limit. I certainly don't beat it like a rented mule. I think you would find it very hard to consistently beat the EPA estimates in the Lightning without driving below the speed limit enough to become a hazard.

Last edited:

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Over 90% of the time I'm in cruise control at or immediately around the speed limit. I certainly don't beat it like a rented mule. I think you would find it very hard to consistently beat the EPA estimates in the Lightning with driving below the speed limit enough to become a hazard.
I realize that lots of folks think the number “95” on our east coast Interstate is the speed limit. I do 55 in a 55 zone and typically 60 in a 60 or 65 zone. I camp in the right lane or next to that lane if I am passing slower traffic and always try to move over for stopped vehicles with flashing lights on the shoulder (it’s a law in VA and MD).

End of Public Service Announcement for the Move Over Laws.