• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Exploring trip that was great until it wasn't

jmb01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Lariat ER
This past Sunday I decided to go for a little backroad drive and checked out some camping spots for future trips. Had a good time with the dogs especially looking at the primitive spots in the wildlife management area. On my way out of the last spot I ran over a stick *just right" to sent it up through a gap in the skid plate on the driver's side and it busted out the coolant hose connection on the battery tray (pic attached from one of Munro's videos of the passenger side) . I took it in to my dealership the next day (Monday) and I've only heard so far that if coolant got into the batteries that would contaminate them and the whole pack would need to be replaced and if not the tray would need replaced...at my expense...and I should probably contact my insurance. Am I unreasonable to think that a stick disabling my vehicle through a large gap in protection for an obviously fragile and important component while driving down a dirt road is a design flaw? I'm not ramping it off sand dunes or floating it trying to cross a river...I drove down a dirt road to a public camping spot.
Ford F-150 Lightning Exploring trip that was great until it wasn't gQpgBxMV0ZQ-JqmhEqrYbKA=w1293-h970-s-no?authuser=0

Ford F-150 Lightning Exploring trip that was great until it wasn't qjnwu2jCrE65VIHrTbon61w=w1293-h811-s-no?authuser=0

Update: Have to drop the battery to replace the connector so 5-6k. Just filed a claim with insurance.

Update2: Apparently there's something more to the part. Dealership said it was like 5k for the parts alone. He's going to invite me up there to check it out when they have it apart.

Update3: Insurance adjuster called and gave the dealer the go-ahead to drop the battery. Also said if the coolant contaminated the battery it's totalled.
Sponsored

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Given the only hole that was exposed is the one coolant is supposed to go into, I am not sure where they get the idea that the battery could be contaminated.

Sounds like someone talking who has no idea what they are talking about. The only risk to the battery that I could see if overheating from lack of coolant.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
Sounds like it was a good size "Stick".

Coolbreeze704

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150L ER Lariat - 2022 Tesla Model Y LR
Occupation
General Manager - Factory Select Homes
This past Sunday I decided to go for a little backroad drive and checked out some camping spots for future trips. Had a good time with the dogs especially looking at the primitive spots in the wildlife management area. On my way out of the last spot I ran over a stick *just right" to sent it up through a gap in the skid plate on the driver's side and it busted out the coolant hose connection on the battery tray (pic attached from one of Munro's videos of the passenger side) . I took it in to my dealership the next day (Monday) and I've only heard so far that if coolant got into the batteries that would contaminate them and the whole pack would need to be replaced and if not the tray would need replaced...at my expense...and I should probably contact my insurance. Am I unreasonable to think that a stick disabling my vehicle through a large gap in protection for an obviously fragile and important component while driving down a dirt road is a design flaw? I'm not ramping it off sand dunes or floating it trying to cross a river...I drove down a dirt road to a public camping spot.
gQpgBxMV0ZQ-JqmhEqrYbKA=w1293-h970-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

qjnwu2jCrE65VIHrTbon61w=w1293-h811-s-no?authuser=0.png
My son took his 2019 Jetta to get oil change. The oil change shop called and said the car tripped a check engine while doing the change and needed to be towed to dealer. VW dealer gets it and says he has coolant in cylinder and something else. Going to be 10k plus to fix. I told him to let me get it to a independent repair guy I knew. Ended up being minor fix and 900 bucks later he had his car and no issues.

Long way of saying - DON"T trust any dealer if they come at you with a high priced repair. Get it to someone you can trust to confirm. I know with EV's that is easier said then done but get a second opinion without sharing what dealer A said the issue was.

Good luck. Hope it all works out.

OP
OP
jmb01

jmb01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Lariat ER
Given the only hole that was exposed is the one coolant is supposed to go into, I am not sure where they get the idea that the battery could be contaminated.

Sounds like someone talking who has no idea what they are talking about. The only risk to the battery that I could see if overheating from lack of coolant.
I'm assuming it's because the hose wasn't tore off, the connector to the tray was busted, so it's possible coolant could've gotten around something where it broke out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jmb01

jmb01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Lariat ER
Sounds like it was a good size "Stick".
Probably an inch diameter. I of course didn't get a pic of it. It's about an hour away on the side of the road. I've though about driving back out there to grab it. I'm going to modify that skid plate before letting it hit dirt again after this is all over that's for sure.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I'm assuming it's because the hose wasn't tore off, the connector to the tray was busted, so it's possible coolant could've gotten around something where it broke out.
That is a HECK of a hit to shear the metal like that!

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
The line is supposed to have coolant flowing through, so battery contamination is highly unlikely. Could dirt get into the coolant circulation system? Absolutely, And on the repair, they would presumably flush the system and fill it all up again -- contaminants can come from the repair itself. There's really no reason for them to think the battery pack or cell banks have coolant intrusion or to tell you that it might be a huge expense for you. That is a service writer or tech who is trying to be overly dramatic. Perhaps they think they're preparing you so you're not totally shocked if something like that happens, but that's just irresponsible on their part. If it were me, I'd be tempted to complain to their management about it, especially after the repair when it's confirmed their claim was unfounded.

As for a stick or branch doing significant damage... Yeah, it happens from time to time. I know someone who took a stick about an inch in diameter that somehow managed to miss the skid plate and puncture the oil pan on their Jeep and I believe it got the oil pump too. They know it was a stick because it was still lodged in there after the fact... After it drained oil and no warning lights or issues popped up in who knows how long or how many miles from the trail. Their check engine light only came on as the engine overheated and basically seized up on them. Needed a whole engine replacement and of course a new oil pan and pump. Warranty? hahahaahaaaa...

Your insurance could handle such a claim, and my friend's did for his engine. Provided you have the right coverage. If you regularly and intentionally take the vehicle off-road, it's best to get some off-road coverage. Which isn't cheap and doesn't cover everything, but can help in catastrophic events like that. Now if you only left the paved road out of necessity or if this was on a maintained dirt road and not some jeep trail, then regular insurance should still be able to help.

MM in SouthTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Probably an inch diameter. I of course didn't get a pic of it. It's about an hour away on the side of the road. I've though about driving back out there to grab it. I'm going to modify that skid plate before letting it hit dirt again after this is all over that's for sure.
Please post your skid plate modification. I am planning to drive the beach to Port Mansfield soon. 50 miles of sometimes very deep sand, with lots of debris. The Gulf currents merge there, so all sorts of stuff washes up. Lots of transfer cases have been taken out down there.

Sponsored

Replika

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MR. PLOW - ER Lariat
I would want an in-depth explanation including photos. Ford service techs, like most traditional dealer service centers, are inexperienced with EVs.

That said, I’ve heard about EV batteries being punctured by ice kicked up from the wheels. The lack of protection in many (most?) of these vehicles is surprising.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
The dangers of off roading. It happens and has nothing to do with design. Just dumb luck. I have suffered stick damage a few times in my off road vehicles and people have even been gored. I had a mini excavator in my shop that broke a hydraulic line in the drive and a valve up in the swing area from just a branch.

Being a mechanic I would have let you know the worst case scenario (battery damage), you just never know until you pull it apart. Best case they have to drop the tray and replace the fittings/connectors and refill it.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
T
The dangers of off roading. It happens and has nothing to do with design. Just dumb luck. I have suffered stick damage a few times in my off road vehicles and people have even been gored. I had a mini excavator in my shop that broke a hydraulic line in the drive and a valve up in the swing area from just a branch.

Being a mechanic I would have let you know the worst case scenario (battery damage), you just never know until you pull it apart. Best case they have to drop the tray and replace the fittings/connectors and refill it.
To be fair, all of those issues could be designed around, I am just not sure any of use would want to drive or pay for a vehicle that overbuilt and armored.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
That sucks man. Almost sounds like a branch. Hope you are able to get it fixed with no cost to you.

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
If nothing else, this exposes the opportunity for design improvement. Either from FoMoCo, or the aftermarket.

Sucks nonetheless.
Sponsored