• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
Here is a good video of production

WOWā€¦. Ole man FORD would have to be proud of what his family and all those folks they employed have accomplished over a century. Whatā€™s it gonna be like over the next century?

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
REALLY nice video. Iā€™m more interested in this than ever, to look into it when my 5.0 F-150 lease expires in 23 months.

Sponsored

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
WOWā€¦. Ole man FORD would have to be proud of what his family and all those folks they employed have accomplished over a century. Whatā€™s it gonna be like over the next century?
Reminds me of this, one of my favorite ponderances:

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
REALLY nice video. Iā€™m more interested in this than ever, to look into it when my 5.0 F-150 lease expires in 23 months.
I'd say put in a reservation if you don't already have one as it may still be hard to get these trucks even into 2024. 22 model year and 23 as will will probably be all sold to current reservation holders.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6Ā½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I'd say put in a reservation if you don't already have one as it may still be hard to get these trucks even into 2024. 22 model year and 23 as will will probably be all sold to current reservation holders.
Money changes everything. Ford will build the profitable product ā€“ the Lightning is going to sell like ā€¦ like a great F-150 ā€¦ (the world's most popular vehicle, ever.)

At 80,000 units per year, Ford can scale to build as many as people order (not ignoring there's already a "version 2" Lightning.)
I think it's reasonable to expect 50% of the "$100 why not?" reservations will stay reservations or just evaporate because those people never intended to spend $50K on a short range electric pickup, so I'm optimistic my order will go in and get built and I'll be hosing mud off it to put snow tires on it for winter '22.

The thing to note about this production line video is ā€¦ it exists ā€¦ look at other EV Pickup vendors ā€¦ other than Rivian ā€¦ where's GM? ā€¦ where are their production line sneak peak videos? : )

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Money changes everything. Ford will build the profitable product ā€“ the Lightning is going to sell like ā€¦ like a great F-150 ā€¦ (the world's most popular vehicle, ever.)

At 80,000 units per year, Ford can scale to build as many as people order (not ignoring there's already a "version 2" Lightning.)
I think it's reasonable to expect 50% of the "$100 why not?" reservations will stay reservations or just evaporate because those people never intended to spend $50K on a short range electric pickup, so I'm optimistic my order will go in and get built and I'll be hosing mud off it to put snow tires on it for winter '22.
I definitely started as "$100 why not?" But within a couple of days I decided to to buy $35K short range EV truck.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I definitely started as "$100 why not?" But within a couple of days I decided to to buy $35K short range EV truck.
Ya, I started as a cyber truck and Rivian are too expensive and when I saw $40k I got my reservation in as fast as I could. I know I can convince the Mrs of a $35k truck but I don't know if I'll manage getting the XLT ER @ $60k.
I know Tesla built a new factory in Texas and I believe that it is building model 3/y vehicles now and I believe it is where they plan to build the trucks if they make it to market. I have not however seen any photos from the facility although I'd imagine they exist.
It will be interesting to see how long it takes for GM or Stellantis (Ram) to officially unveil the Silverado and Ram

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I got my reservation in Day 1 as a $100 placeholder. Not really sure if I was going to jump in or not. After everything that has come out about the truck I'm sold and am definitely getting one ASAP.

The Cybertruck honestly looks like a stupid metal turd from a bad futuristic video game. Honestly, if Tesla had designed the CT with anything other than Elon's ego in mind I probably would have gotten that.

Rivian is a little too much for my taste and are a completely unproven company. Gen 1 Ford Lightning is a little different than Gen 1 Rivian, as the Ford has years of F-150 development and testing to build off of since they are using the same basic frame and interior as the ICE. This also isn't Ford's first EV.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Ya, I started as a cyber truck and Rivian are too expensive and when I saw $40k I got my reservation in as fast as I could. I know I can convince the Mrs of a $35k truck but I don't know if I'll manage getting the XLT ER @ $60k.
I'm in the same boat. Originally wanted a XLT ER but I'm having a hard time justifying $20k extra for a couple cosmetic things that don't mean much to me and a slight bump in performance. I also might use the extra 70 miles a couple of times a year. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the Pro SR and we'll use our ICE for any road trips. Worth keeping $20k in my pocket, I'll sell in 4 years and get the newer tech with better range then.

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
GM has been showing factory teasers and the Hummer EV truck is about done with pre-production, they have been building captured-fleet vehicles and demos as they finish up. I think the battery fire fiasco with the Bolt has set them back a little bit. But Iā€™ll bet first Hummer EV trucks get delivered to customers in November. GM is set to unveil the Silverado EV next month.

Electric RAM is probably a year out from itā€™s full reveal. Itā€™s supposed to be a 2024 model year production.

Tesla is now saying Cybertruck production to begin late ā€˜22 to early ā€˜23. They have to get Model 3/Y production up to capacity in Texas first. The demand for those cars is off the charts and the factory construction ran into some setbacks. They canā€™t meet demand building just in Fremont, CA. So while Cybertruck was supposed to be first for production in Texas, it now comes after 3/Y. It also needs the new 4680 cells for it to be possible and while Tesla is having a > 99% success rate rolling those cells by hand, reliable mass production is still a challenge. Canā€™t make the millions of cells they need if they have to be made by $75K+/year technicians who can only crank out 4 to 6 cells per hour. This is why the new Model S Plaid+ (above the current new Plaid model) was first delayed, then canceledā€¦ It was to use the new 4680 cells and they canā€™t make those batteries in quantity yet.

Sorry if Iā€™m derailing the thread, just others were commenting about the competition.

This production video is a nice glimpse into the Lighting production.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I think the battery fire fiasco with the Bolt has set them back a little bit.
The Hummer and standard GMC/Chevy truck use a completely different battery pack to include a completely different cell and chemistry.
Sponsored