• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I want to hear that Ford is prioritizing chips AND bedliners for the Lightning. :)

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
150,000 by next midyear is the run rate. And they will change to MY 2024 before the calendar year ends. MY 2023 production might hit 90 - 100,000.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
150,000 by next midyear is the run rate. And they will change to MY 2024 before the calendar year ends. MY 2023 production might hit 90 - 100,000.
There's been a lot of really poor journalism as of late confusing production rate vs. production units. Although I'd be thrilled if Ford did produce 150k units next year..I think the goal they have set is a ramp up to 150k/yr RATE by mid 2023 as you said.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The center screen is not a distraction. For manufacturing efficiency, Saturn Ion cars used to use a center instrument cluster that could be turned to face LHD or RHD. My mom had one of these and got used to that as well. It beats the hell out of trying to make BMW's xDrive or iDrive work (got one of those as a rental once, yikes). A lot of thought has gone into the Tesla software to make it workable (although I do dislike that they have some people who rather like to re-engineer the interface too often).

Tesla has been clear with autopilot since the moment that it was introduced that the driver must pay attention. It's on the screen with EVERY engagement. It requires you to have your hands on the wheel (and there was only a period of about 2-3 weeks where it didn't, until some stupid human decided to climb in the back seat and watch his car drive 90 mph down a highway). Then there are the people who tied canned-goods to the steering wheel to make it think hands were on it. But that's human behavior: we're already seeing where people are figuring out how to defeat other automakers' attention-watching mechanisms - and I'm sure there will be people working to defeat SuperCruise, BlueCruise, Whateverpilot, or any other marketing name chosen by a manufacturer. It's just that Tesla was first in doing anything more than warning the user when they were about to cross a lane line.

I'm on the FSD beta in my car, and it does a reasonable job in assisting with driving. It's not truly full self driving, but it comes close in certain conditions. I'd rather Elon push the boundaries in a controlled fashion than have the government be ultra-conservative.
1. Center display is very different than having most controls being tied to a center screen with menus and very little tactile feedback. For example..If I want to change the wipers, turn on the lights, adjust the cruise, mirrors or anything else in my current vehicle I can do that by feel and not take my eyes off the road. You can't do that in the Tesla as you will always have to look at the menu structure for certain commands.

2. I'll disagree that Tesla has been clear on driver interaction. They have been far from clear enough. Even the name purports that it is a driver free system and Elon's incessant babbling about self driving only causes confusion. There are safeguards Tesla could put in place but have failed to do. Captive feedback, seat weight monitors, eye monitoring, etc. There is a reason NHTSA is investigating....

3. I'm not for Tesla pushing the boundaries by offering up untrained consumers as guiena pig testers. Test on a track, a controlled environment, or using trained/experienced drivers..reserchers. Billy bob and Mary Jo don't need to be testing components of FSD no matter how many waivers they sign.

Sponsored

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
One thing no one talks about with Tesla is the voice control. As someone who has an Alexa in every room, I'm used to saying a command to make a smart home feature work. With Tesla, you can do the same thing with any control you need. I've come to use this feature a lot, even though I know few other Tesla drivers that do the same.

FSD is absolutely amazing, until it tries to kill you. No matter how often I send feedback, the car wants to drive down the bike lane and then not turn until it's too late on the road just before my house. I've pressed the send feedback camera button on the same spot tons of times, it doesn't seem to change anything. But then the other day I drove 45 minutes through many different turns and city/highway streets and didn't need to disengage once.

To get back on track... hopefully the F-150 has enough chips to allow for some sort of voice control in the vehicle. I don't think this was ever brought up on this forum, but it is a feature I'd love to see.

Lastly, with production numbers seemingly going up quickly, could MY23 be split where only some people get a full tax rebate? Or do you think it will be something that sticks around in full until MY24? The Mach-E production numbers probably determine this answer, we don't talk about them as much on this forum.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
One thing no one talks about with Tesla is the voice control. As someone who has an Alexa in every room, I'm used to saying a command to make a smart home feature work. With Tesla, you can do the same thing with any control you need. I've come to use this feature a lot, even though I know few other Tesla drivers that do the same.

FSD is absolutely amazing, until it tries to kill you. No matter how often I send feedback, the car wants to drive down the bike lane and then not turn until it's too late on the road just before my house. I've pressed the send feedback camera button on the same spot tons of times, it doesn't seem to change anything. But then the other day I drove 45 minutes through many different turns and city/highway streets and didn't need to disengage once.

To get back on track... hopefully the F-150 has enough chips to allow for some sort of voice control in the vehicle. I don't think this was ever brought up on this forum, but it is a feature I'd love to see.

Lastly, with production numbers seemingly going up quickly, could MY23 be split where only some people get a full tax rebate? Or do you think it will be something that sticks around in full until MY24? The Mach-E production numbers probably determine this answer, we don't talk about them as much on this forum.
I would expect voice control in the Lightning - The Mach-e has it, as do upper trim ICE F-150s (maybe all of them).

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
There's been a lot of really poor journalism as of late confusing production rate vs. production units. Although I'd be thrilled if Ford did produce 150k units next year..I think the goal they have set is a ramp up to 150k/yr RATE by mid 2023 as you said.
I'm pretty sure Ford has said they plan on 80k units in 2023 and 150k units in 2024.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would expect voice control in the Lightning - The Mach-e has it, as do upper trim ICE F-150s (maybe all of them).

The Google based nav system(sync replacement) will go a long way. I've seen a similar system in the new Volvos. It is awesome and due to it being integrated with google it is kept current with near real time updates.

Yes, I know we can just use Android auto....but it would be so much more convenient to have that integrated into the car. Imagine if the nav starts showing charging stations on google maps when you get low on charge. Imagine if the range estimator starts using google traffic to adjust range. etc. Imagine if you were to know that a vehicle 2min ahead had lost traction or activated wipers. (Or 4 way flashers) What if your car told you about a traffic backup around the bend before it happened.

Endless possibilities for integration and vehicle to vehicle communication. Using integrated Google is the first step. Yes there is privacy concerns.. hopefully there is a way to share information not tied to the personal identification information.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot of people expect Ford to hit the 200,000 vehicle limit in Q3 (this is Mach-E, F-150L, Transit van, plus the 2022 Maverick hybrid, the 2022 Escape SE hybrid, the 2022 Escape SE PHEV, the 2022 Explorer Platinum Hybrid, and the 2022 F-150 hybrid, plus all past vehicles that are no longer sold like the Fusion and C-Max PHEVs). That's US vehicles sold. If they do, then in Q4 the tax credit would be the full $7,500. In calendar year 2023, the first half of the year would see a 50% reduction ($7,500 x $3,750), and the second half of the year would see another reduction of 50%, i.e. a 25% tax credit ($7,500 x .25 = $1,875).

There is ZERO chance the entire model year 2023 F-150L gets the full tax credit. ZERO.

Last edited:

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The Google based nav system(sync replacement) will go a long way. I've seen a similar system in the new Volvos. It is awesome and due to it being integrated with google it is kept current with near real time updates.

Yes, I know we can just use Android auto....but it would be so much more convenient to have that integrated into the car. Imagine if the nav starts showing charging stations on google maps when you get low on charge. Imagine if the range estimator starts using google traffic to adjust range. etc. Imagine if you were to know that a vehicle 2min ahead had lost traction or activated wipers. (Or 4 way flashers) What if your car told you about a traffic backup around the bend before it happened.

Endless possibilities for integration and vehicle to vehicle communication. Using integrated Google is the first step. Yes there is privacy concerns.. hopefully there is a way to share information not tied to the personal identification information.
Just a heads up that the built in Navigation in Sync 4a on the Mach-e does show chargers, will auto route to them as needed, and is traffic aware (with adjust your time and route as needed). It isn't quite at Google's level for Nav, but it is quite good. I find myself using it more than android auto navigation.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
A lot of people expect Ford to hit the 200,000 vehicle limit in Q3 (this is Mach-E, F-150L, Transit van, plus the 2022 Maverick hybrid, the 2022 Escape SE hybrid, the 2022 Escape SE PHEV, the 2022 Explorer Platinum Hybrid, and the 2022 F-150 hybrid, plus all past vehicles that are no longer sold). That's US vehicles sold. If they do, then in Q4 the tax credit would be the full $7,500. In calendar year 2023, the first half of the year would see a 50% reduction ($7,500 x $3,750), and the second half of the year would see another reduction of 50%, i.e. a 25% tax credit ($7,500 x .25 = $1,875).

There is ZERO chance the entire model year 2023 F-150L gets the full tax credit. ZERO.
Agree with your main point, but just FYI - non plug-in hybrids don't get a tax credit and don't count towards the limit.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
A lot of people expect Ford to hit the 200,000 vehicle limit in Q3 (this is Mach-E, F-150L, Transit van, plus the 2022 Maverick hybrid, the 2022 Escape SE hybrid, the 2022 Escape SE PHEV, the 2022 Explorer Platinum Hybrid, and the 2022 F-150 hybrid, plus all past vehicles that are no longer sold). That's US vehicles sold. If they do, then in Q4 the tax credit would be the full $7,500. In calendar year 2023, the first half of the year would see a 50% reduction ($7,500 x $3,750), and the second half of the year would see another reduction of 50%, i.e. a 25% tax credit ($7,500 x .25 = $1,875).

The tax credit eligible vehicles are not all of the hybrids. The car must be plug-in to count (BEV and PHEV). Take away from that list the power boost, maverick, escape hybrid (keep the PHEV), and explorer. If regular hybrids counted Toyota would have exhausted its credit long ago (how many million Prius have been sold?)

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm pretty sure Ford has said they plan on 80k units in 2023 and 150k units in 2024.
In August 2021, Ford stated they would make 15,000 in 2022, 55,000 in 2023, and 80,000 in 2024.

In January, 2022, Ford stated they would nearly double production to 150,000 per year, with 2023 model year being 80,000 instead of 55,000. So they moved the 2024 goal to 2023.

Now, they have announced they will hit the 150,000 a year level in the middle of 2023 (this was 40,000 way back when). The 2023 and 2024 targets will be higher, I expect 2023 will become around 100,000.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Agree with your main point, but just FYI - non plug-in hybrids don't get a tax credit and don't count towards the limit.
Correct. They did, now they don't.
Sponsored