• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

First Ford Power-Up Update

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Logged into the FordPass app this evening and my F-150 has apparently received its first Power-Up over the air update.

Ford F-150 Lightning First Ford Power-Up Update E69F8D1A-407D-4F89-8C40-EB2B659CFABB

Ford F-150 Lightning First Ford Power-Up Update DA685E66-FA0B-4327-96AA-01705ECC06FB

This is what the app advised were the details for the update, but it’s pretty generic. Any of you Ford insiders have any more information or details as to what this round of updates entail? Has anyone else received an update yet?
Sponsored

tcp

First Name
Trieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum, 2019 Accord
Occupation
IT MGR
Its odd how these are rolled out. I've had about 4 of these "updates" with the same generic messages. Yet some are just now getting their first ones. But like it says its probably bug fixes and refinements. I'm sure if Ford releases a new feature or enabled something else their marketing team would be all over with a new 30 second YouTube video

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
I could be reading too much into things, but I think the “Power Up” updates are those that add new features. The upcoming Blue Cruise, Alexa and Car Play enhancements one is an example of that. I believe that will be the first of this type of update.

Then there are the periodic OTA updates, which are typically “bug fixes and performance improvements”. That is what you just received. I have received 3 of those since getting my truck in Feb ‘21.

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
“Its odd how these are rolled out. I've had about 4 of these "updates" with the same generic messages. Yet some are just now getting their first ones.”

That does kinda make sense to me. As the installed base grows, there are multiple Sync versions out there, mixed among many trim levels, a large mix of chosen options, 6 different power trains and so forth. It’s easy to imagine a Sync4 software team that might have a general work list of improvement goals but they are tackled incrementally by small work groups, some fixes being more challenging than others. Now fold in the fact that some fixes might need to precede (or follow) the introduction of other fixes, though nobe of this is apparent to us, and it isn’t hard to imagine there might be an ongoing sprinkling of updates across the installed base until there is more stability in the fleet at large.

What I wonder is where do those tens of thousands of bulit but stored F150’s fit in this process. Hard to imagine each truck is individually checked for already issued software updates once chips are reinstalled...tho’ one hopes something like that is happening. Circumstances have taken an already complex production and delivery process and complicated it even further.

Jack

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
“Its odd how these are rolled out. I've had about 4 of these "updates" with the same generic messages. Yet some are just now getting their first ones.”

That does kinda make sense to me. As the installed base grows, there are multiple Sync versions out there, mixed among many trim levels, a large mix of chosen options, 6 different power trains and so forth. It’s easy to imagine a Sync4 software team that might have a general work list of improvement goals but they are tackled incrementally by small work groups, some fixes being more challenging than others. Now fold in the fact that some fixes might need to precede (or follow) the introduction of other fixes, though nobe of this is apparent to us, and it isn’t hard to imagine there might be an ongoing sprinkling of updates across the installed base until there is more stability in the fleet at large.

What I wonder is where do those tens of thousands of bulit but stored F150’s fit in this process. Hard to imagine each truck is individually checked for already issued software updates once chips are reinstalled...tho’ one hopes something like that is happening. Circumstances have taken an already complex production and delivery process and complicated it even further.

Jack
Probably hand flashed right a chip install, might be like what the service centers do to flash the different FSA software updates now.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Its odd how these are rolled out. I've had about 4 of these "updates" with the same generic messages. Yet some are just now getting their first ones. But like it says its probably bug fixes and refinements. I'm sure if Ford releases a new feature or enabled something else their marketing team would be all over with a new 30 second YouTube video
I've thought that too. This is my first one. I know others have had several. Hard to determine the rhyme or reason to them.

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
Do you have to be connected to WiFi in order to get updates? If so, the “over the air” marketing is utterly phony. Our Corollas get pushed updates without being connected to anything.

I assume that you don’t need to be connected to WiFi in the truck in any way in order to get the updates. But I haven’t received any updates at all and the thought occurred to me that lack of WiFi connection could be why I haven’t.

tcp

First Name
Trieu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum, 2019 Accord
Occupation
IT MGR
Do you have to be connected to WiFi in order to get updates? If so, the “over the air” marketing is utterly phony. Our Corollas get pushed updates without being connected to anything.

I assume that you don’t need to be connected to WiFi in the truck in any way in order to get the updates. But I haven’t received any updates at all and the thought occurred to me that lack of WiFi connection could be why I haven’t.
Mine's not connected to my home wifi, I tried when first brought it home it didn't connect right away so never tried again. I think its using the built in AT&T cellular modem to get these updates.

Dixie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 4x4, 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mine came in two days ago. It’s a great update, so far the only thing I’ve noticed is my alarm goes off like crazy with a trailer attached lol. Did not happen before

OP
OP
Knickell

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well..... I’m happy to report my first Power-Up Update did zap my mystery dot on startup!

Ford F-150 Lightning First Ford Power-Up Update 50E4531B-3A30-463D-B74F-0CEF0D80C10A

ChiefD

First Name
Neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150
I have yet to figure out what version I am on. The app, car and web site can not tell me what the last update was. I have checked that the truck is connected to my wifi and the schedule is set. I changed the schedule this week and am waiting to see if anything changes.
Sponsored