• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Power up update failing

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
hi my power up update is failing for the last two weeks. I have tried everything that I could think of. What am I missing?

pls help.
Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer

TwinDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Which update? What have you tried? I had the same issue with the RAD-PS update and it finally installed by charging the truck to 90% and keeping it plugged in while also putting a battery charger on the 12 V battery overnight. See here on how to do that: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/charging-12v-battery.16979/
This update has been failing for me the last 3 months. Thought I tried everything but it finally updated last night.
Truck was plugged in and charged to 90% at 9 pm. While still plugged an hour later the update was completed during the scheduled time while plugged in.
Not sure about the status of the 12V other than I ran some short errands earlier which I doubt fully charged it.
Hope that helps.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
This update has been failing for me the last 3 months. Thought I tried everything but it finally updated last night.
Truck was plugged in and charged to 90% at 9 pm. While still plugged an hour later the update was completed during the scheduled time while plugged in.
Not sure about the status of the 12V other than I ran some short errands earlier which I doubt fully charged it.
Hope that helps.
I think that is a good strategy and has worked for me for updates. The key for me is to have the truck charge to about 90% right before the scheduled update. Charging the HVB also seems to charge the 12V. However this last update still didn't work until I also put a charger on the 12 V battery.

OP
OP

Artificial Intelligence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking
Which update? What have you tried? I had the same issue with the RAD-PS update and it finally installed by charging the truck to 90% and keeping it plugged in while also putting a battery charger on the 12 V battery overnight. See here on how to do that: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/charging-12v-battery.16979/
I’ve tried chart and leaving it on charge while at 90%

it’s the 23-pu0110-rad-ps

this seems a lot to go thru for a simple update. What’s this RAD PS about anyways

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I’ve tried chart and leaving it on charge while at 90%

it’s the 23-pu0110-rad-ps

this seems a lot to go thru for a simple update. What’s this RAD PS about anyways
It fixes the problem with radio presets getting wiped out by updates.

The last 4 updates I’ve gotten came immediately after a drive of about 100 miles or so. I presume that was related to charging up the 12V battery.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
The 12v battery is usually the problem. Even plugged in the 12v only gets charged while the HVB is charging so if you are fully charged by 6pm and your update window is 2am, your 12v battery may have depleted below 80% clip level already (yes, even while plugged in).

If you manually select the update to perform just after you drive for 30 minutes or more, or just after your HVB has completed charging, your 12v may be topped up and the update might proceed. Timing your plugin times to have the truck charged to your desired SOC right about the time your updates are scheduled can also work since at that time the 12v may be fully charged.

Keep in mind that the truck needs time while driving or charging the HVB to top up the 12v battery. eg. if your target SOC is 85% and you plug in at 82%, your 12v battery may not have enough time to be topped up before charging stops and still be below the 80% update clip level. It takes about an hour to charge the 12v from 50% to 100% while driving or charging the HVB.

Putting a 12v charger on the battery will usually work but it seems silly to have to use an external charger on such a powerhouse truck that is already plugged in.

@Ford - This can be solved by keeping the 12v battery above 80% while the truck is plugged in. It would also be very beneficial to provide a clear message to the owners on why the update failed since that would avoid much frustration - especially if it is due to the low SOC of the 12v battery.
Sponsored