• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

First roadtrip, want some advice on preparation.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Looks like 40a based on a few reviews on Plugshare but thinking I should just get the 80a TeslaTap for future trips unless their is a different recomendation.
You can’t cause any problems by going big, but you certainly can by going the other way.
But it’s highly unlikely you will ever run into a public 80A EVSE.
Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Earlier Tesla HPWCs went up to 80A. There are still some out there.

For the OP, I would go ahead and buy an 80A Tesla adapter. If you don't need it this time, you might next time. You'll be kicking yourself if the other J1772 is occupied or broken when you arrive.

ABRP is much better at predicting range than the in-truck navigation since ABRP takes into account the weather, elevation changes, and speeds you typically travel. You can leave the stock estimated efficiency of a Lightning ER of 496wh/mi for if you want some extra insurance, but I've found the truck to be far more efficient. ABRP has recalibrated me to 415wh/mi after driving a couple thousand miles with it linked to my OBD2 adapter.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earlier Tesla HPWCs went up to 80A. There are still some out there.

For the OP, I would go ahead and buy an 80A Tesla adapter. If you don't need it this time, you might next time. You'll be kicking yourself if the other J1772 is occupied or broken when you arrive.

ABRP is much better at predicting range than the in-truck navigation since ABRP takes into account the weather, elevation changes, and speeds you typically travel. You can leave the stock estimated efficiency of a Lightning ER of 496wh/mi for if you want some extra insurance, but I've found the truck to be far more efficient. ABRP has recalibrated me to 415wh/mi after driving a couple thousand miles with it linked to my OBD2 adapter.
I’ve never seen an HPWC made available for public charging. Not saying there aren’t a few out there. Maybe.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Tesla L2 charger max is 48A, you just need a 40A or even 30A Tesla -> J1772 adapter if so.
If the charger is 48A, wouldn't you need at least 60A adapter?

Personally, I purchased TeslaTap Mini 80. In every case I've run into, 60A adapter would have been sufficient, but the difference in price wasn't enough for me to go with that.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
If the charger is 48A, wouldn't you need at least 60A adapter?

Personally, I purchased TeslaTap Mini 80. In every case I've run into, 60A adapter would have been sufficient, but the difference in price wasn't enough for me to go with that.
No you just limit it to 48A, that’s it. You don’t need to follow 80% rule.

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
There are some Tesla HPWCs at hotels and B&Bs. I guess they may not technically be "public" if you need to be staying there to use them, but they're not just for home use. Tesla used to "partner" with some B&Bs where they would provide the HPWC for free if the property provided the infrastructure.

https://selectregistry.com/properties/experiences/tesla-electric-vehicle-charging/

TeslaTap adapters are rated for the power the vehicle will be drawing. The downrating happens at the circuit. This is why there aren't any 100A adapters.

Sponsored

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
FYI I ended up getting the TeslaTap mini 80A using the coupon code from this thread: https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...harging-fault-error-message.11142/post-230447 This gives me some piece of mind if a J1773 spot isn't available during this trip
I used the same coupon and purchased this version of the “mini” modified to work with the Lightning. http://www.umc-j1772.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=174

I too have it for insurance….haven’t used it yet, but plan to test it on the next Destination Charger 🔌 I park near😎

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
What he meant by limit to 48A would be to only use on a 48A or below rated destination charger or home charger.

Currently almost every EV owner that travels away from home might want that adapter in some amp level. I did buy one and tested it but haven't needed it ....yet.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I bought a TeslaTap before my Mach-E arrived. I’ve had the car 19 months and the only time I’ve used it was to test to see if it works. I thought it gave me some additional peace of mind in the beginning. Now that I’ve driven an EV for a year and a half, I realize it’s not really necessary.
Your use case may be different than mine, just thought I’d share my experience.
Sponsored