• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
How is that going to help me with my purchase now? A little transparency would help; Ford CS, customer and dealer should be able to go to the same website and see the same process, prices and incentives. If this is not just about control and it is about customer, Ford could do it now.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Jan 2024.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
The current haggling and purchase issues are FoMoCo's problem, not the dealers. The dealers have no transparency and no one to communicate with when their educated customers come in knowing what they should be getting.

Sounds like they are kicking the can for awhile...

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
How is that going to help me with my purchase now? A little transparency would help; Ford CS, customer and dealer should be able to go to the same website and see the same process, prices and incentives. If this is not just about control and it is about customer, Ford could do it now.
This is old news... They're just talking about it again since the deadline was Tuesday. And this is what all the dealerships who become Model E program partners must do starting January '24. The dealerships still set the pricing. *BUT* they have to present the pricing up front and there's no haggling or adding in extra fluff or BS later. The price is the price. This also gives the customer the ability to shop around. Pricing must be presented online and there will be online ordering and purchase. So you can order your new truck and pick your dealership knowing the price. Truck arrives and you can pay online, go to dealership sign a couple papers and drive off.

Of course, that's the idealistic way this is all intended to work. Let's see if it actually happens. Ford knows their customers are not happy with the current dealership sales model. They're changing it with the Model E program and if successful there, will expand it to their ICE sales as well. It may not be as slick as Tesla or Rivian, but when you have a couple thousand independent dealerships involved this is a huge step.

Sponsored

Lime Green

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-350, Expedition Max, Tesla...
The current haggling and purchase issues are FoMoCo's problem, not the dealers. The dealers have no transparency and no one to communicate with when their educated customers come in knowing what they should be getting.

The problem right now is that there are no pricing practices or standards in place. Dealerships can do whatever they want. Ford wanted them to present final pricing at the time of order for the Lightning. But still have no control over what the dealer does when finalizing the sale as they hold a customer's truck hostage. The only recourse Ford has is to pull allocations from a dealership if they can cite multiple instances of the dealer not representing Ford in good faith.

There are some dealerships who are fighting the whole Model E thing.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is old news... They're just talking about it again since the deadline was Tuesday. And this is what all the dealerships who become Model E program partners must do starting January '24. The dealerships still set the pricing. *BUT* they have to present the pricing up front and there's no haggling or adding in extra fluff or BS later. The price is the price. This also gives the customer the ability to shop around. Pricing must be presented online and there will be online ordering and purchase. So you can order your new truck and pick your dealership knowing the price. Truck arrives and you can pay online, go to dealership sign a couple papers and drive off.

Of course, that's the idealistic way this is all intended to work. Let's see if it actually happens. Ford knows their customers are not happy with the current dealership sales model. They're changing it with the Model E program and if successful there, will expand it to their ICE sales as well. It may not be as slick as Tesla or Rivian, but when you have a couple thousand independent dealerships involved this is a huge step.
All nice but completely irrelevant for me personally. My deal is happening before January 24th. And until it does, I have no idea if it will, since I won’t pay more than I was promised.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
All nice but completely irrelevant for me personally. My deal is happening before January 24th. And until it does, I have no idea if it will, since I won’t pay more than I was promised.
January 2024

tsszen

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Pro
The problem right now is that there are no pricing practices or standards in place. Dealerships can do whatever they want. Ford wanted them to present final pricing at the time of order for the Lightning. But still have no control over what the dealer does when finalizing the sale as they hold a customer's truck hostage. The only recourse Ford has is to pull allocations from a dealership if they can cite multiple instances of the dealer not representing Ford in good faith.

There are some dealerships who are fighting the whole Model E thing.
That is exactly what is happening to me right now. I was supposed to take my truck home tonight but my dealer refused up front price protection that is in my ford online agreement when I go to complete my purchase.

shadycoh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 xlt

LOL when I started asking for the DORA report and to show me the incentives in smart Vincent for when I ordered and when it arrived he was confused and had no clue his managers first words were what dealership do or did you work for.

I said I could never work at a dealership I hate people :)

Sponsored

Dale_K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram, Charger, Chrysler 200 vert
First post on this forum. I just placed an order a couple days ago and was surprised my dealer did a straight MSRP deal because it's unlike them. The salesman said, "We don't make any money on this deal." lol. He implied this was a recent change related to the dealership signing up to be a Ford EV dealership. IDK the truth. It could be that when a dealer signs up to be an EV dealer they are required to sell at list price. It could be the new trend. Or, I could be totally wrong.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We don't make any money on this deal.
It must be out of goodness of their heart and to make the world a better place that they are doing it. They make 10%

Shady

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150xlt
I buy a new car every 2-3 years. You know how many times the dealers have told me they lost money on the deal, I would say about 75% its amazing any stay in business.

I was fed the same line about they lose 10 bucks on each lightning just look at the numbers.

I let them know the numbers show they make about 8K at msrp on backing a lighting off the trailer and detailing it. They did not make any more comments.

cwstnsko

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
First post on this forum. I just placed an order a couple days ago and was surprised my dealer did a straight MSRP deal because it's unlike them. The salesman said, "We don't make any money on this deal." lol. He implied this was a recent change related to the dealership signing up to be a Ford EV dealership. IDK the truth. It could be that when a dealer signs up to be an EV dealer they are required to sell at list price. It could be the new trend. Or, I could be totally wrong.
I don‘t think Ford can legally tell dealers what price they can sell cars for. Ford is flirting with the limits of what they can do legally, with the things they are asking dealer to do to be part of the EV program. The car dealer association lobbyists have been working for decades to protect the dealership business model. Much of what we don’t care for is protected by law.
Putting and end to haggling does not mean that every dealer sells for MSRP, it just means that whatever price a dealer is selling for has to be posted on Fords website, so that consumers can easily choose the dealer with more competitive pricing. If Ford is successful in moving away from inventory based selling to a mostly build to order model, this will fundamentally change the dealership‘s way of doing business and will dramatically reduce overhead. This could eventually drive to a normalization of pricing across dealers, assuming they evolve with the changes, rather than slowly going out of business.
Sponsored