• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Captain337

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning PRO
If Model E is somehow configured as a unique manufacturer, will their 200k+ Fed Tax Credits restart?
Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I’m not sure if it mentions it in that article, but one would hope that the “Model E” side of the Ford house does away with the dealership model and goes direct sales to the customer, ala Tesla, Rivian and Lucid. I believe this would bring in even more buyers. A lot of the current dealers have no idea what they’re doing with the Lightning and Mach E…
Geez..hasn't the price increases at Tesla and Rivian taught you anything? A direct sales model is easier but we all pay more with literally no competition. As an added bonus..customer service goes down the drain..as everything becomes a "take it or leave it" proposition vs trying to earn your business.

I still don't understand why everyone on here is so hell bent on making us pay more....

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
Geez..hasn't the price increases at Tesla and Rivian taught you anything? A direct sales model is easier but we all pay more with literally no competition. As an added bonus..customer service goes down the drain..as everything becomes a "take it or leave it" proposition vs trying to earn your business.

I still don't understand why everyone on here is so hell bent on making us pay more....
Is this sarcasm? Have you not seen the ADMs on Lightnings that range from $3k to $20k??

There are literally spreadsheets on spreadsheets tracking which dealers are adding ADM or not.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is this sarcasm? Have you not seen the ADMs on Lightnings that range from $3k to $20k??

There are literally spreadsheets on spreadsheets tracking which dealers are adding ADM or not.
No its not. There are also dealers that are charging MSRP with NO ADM. There are literally dozens of dealers who want your business@MSRP. Competition is a wonderful thing.

If you buy a Lightning for $20k over MSRP you're a fool...

Sponsored

FordLightningMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
No its not. There are also dealers that are charging MSRP with NO ADM. There are literally dozens of dealers who want your business@MSRP. Competition is a wonderful thing.

Most people are within driving range of multiple Ford dealerships. It's sort of the equivalent of being near Target, Walmart, and Best Buy if you're looking for an electronic. Some stores are better, some stores are worse, but you have options.

The online model is far less work, but it's also possible for the outcome to be far worse as well without competition. Also, one if the things I'm most excited for with Ford is the fact there are multiple service areas I'll be able to bring my car within a short drive. If you shut down the dealers, do you really think all those repair shops will stay open?

2 years ago they opened a Tesla service station just over an hour from me. The next closest is about 4 hours from me. The one an hour from me has waits of around 2 months to be seen. If you need a part, come back in 3 more months.

The one and only thing about the online experience that is better is that it is easier, when everything is going right. Everything else is a step back in its current form when things go wrong. I have a rattle/squeak in my Tesla that is annoying, but the only thing more annoying is trying to get it fixed.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Most people are within driving range of multiple Ford dealerships. It's sort of the equivalent of being near Target, Walmart, and Best Buy if you're looking for an electronic. Some stores are better, some stores are worse, but you have options.

The online model is far less work, but it's also possible for the outcome to be far worse as well without competition. Also, one if the things I'm most excited for with Ford is the fact there are multiple service areas I'll be able to bring my car within a short drive. If you shut down the dealers, do you really think all those repair shops will stay open?

2 years ago they opened a Tesla service station just over an hour from me. The next closest is about 4 hours from me. The one an hour from me has waits of around 2 months to be seen. If you need a part, come back in 3 more months.

The one and only thing about the online experience that is better is that it is easier, when everything is going right. Everything else is a step back in its current form when things go wrong. I have a rattle/squeak in my Tesla that is annoying, but the only thing more annoying is trying to get it fixed.
I understand people are hesitant about confrontation at a dealer when in the buying process. I get it. Its a pain..it can be uncomfortable. But there are dealers who offer no haggle pricing. Its also good to remember that this crazy market is temporary. There will be a time when supplies will outnumber demand. Sure dealers won't have huge inventory like before, but there will come a time when manufacturers will be once again producing more cars than they have orders for. Its been that way since the Model T. That isn't going to change for legacy automakers...it has proven to work, it has proven to be profitable over the long term.

My prediction is at some point within the next 12-36 months when the chip shortage is mitigated we are going to see massive inventory and plummeting prices due to oversupply. There is a shortage now, but automakers are churning out as many autos as they can without thought as to when to throttle back. A big operation like the auto supply chain cannot be changed(either decreased/increased) on short notice...its takes lots of time to react.

Understandably, the effect will be less pronounced on EVs as they are in ultra high demand right now with a huge backlog of interest/reservations/orders. However I think for more mainline ICE vehicles you'll see this market cool off significantly.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Dozens of dealers out of 1000s? Sounds like a lottery to me. Meanwhile a direct to consumer model ensure everyone gets the same price. The best car buying experiences I have ever had have been with minimal dealership interaction.

The dealership model makes no sense for EVs and Ford knows it.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I understand people are hesitant about confrontation at a dealer when in the buying process. I get it. Its a pain..it can be uncomfortable. But there are dealers who offer no haggle pricing. Its also good to remember that this crazy market is temporary. There will be a time when supplies will outnumber demand. Sure dealers won't have huge inventory like before, but there will come a time when manufacturers will be once again producing more cars than they have orders for. Its been that way since the Model T. That isn't going to change for legacy automakers...it has proven to work, it has proven to be profitable over the long term.

My prediction is at some point within the next 12-36 months when the chip shortage is mitigated we are going to see massive inventory and plummeting prices due to oversupply. There is a shortage now, but automakers are churning out as many autos as they can without thought as to when to throttle back. A big operation like the auto supply chain cannot be changed(either decreased/increased) on short notice...its takes lots of time to react.

Understandably, the effect will be less pronounced on EVs as they are in ultra high demand right now with a huge backlog of interest/reservations/orders. However I think for more mainline ICE vehicles you'll see this market cool off significantly.
ICE cars that need constant servicing(oil changes, filters etc) are where a dealership that handles servicing makes sense, especially when you have 5 dealerships nearby. This model doesn’t work for EVs at all.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE cars that need constant servicing(oil changes, filters etc) are where a dealership that handles servicing makes sense, especially when you have 5 dealerships nearby. This model doesn’t work for EVs at all.
Not necessarily. Things like A/C will still need to be fixed, tires, recall issues, infotainment issues, etc. All these can still be done by a dealer.

I only visit a dealer 1x per year for oil changes/filter/fluids..all other times were for "other" stuff.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TBH I think it is quite the opposite. EVs have less moving parts and I would think less problems.. but the issues will be more complex and potentially more specialized by make.

Do you really want a guy at Firestone trying to diagnose a battery/charging issue with your high voltage battery?
Sponsored