• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.

FordMaster

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
66 Lincoln, 90 Lincoln Mark VII, 96 F150, 2019 Fle
Occupation
Landscaping

FordMaster

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
66 Lincoln, 90 Lincoln Mark VII, 96 F150, 2019 Fle
Occupation
Landscaping
After building a $74k XLT ER Im gonna defer the first few rounds or even year to see if the price comes down. Without the Tax Credit it's not a good buy. I've never seen one in person, test drove one, know anything about charging cost, etc.! They're not offering a lease on them so you have to buy them. The payment would be $1200-1400 per month! I'll buy another house......better investment! If they don't adjust the price or offer a lease, I'll cancel my reservation
I'm not playing the waiting/guessing game. I ordered a XLT High instead and got almost $5k in rebates! Good luck to the rest of ya!

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford's epic Lightning bait-and-switch is complete (the official "I'm out" thread). Screenshot_20220107-073826_Chrome

Thepaperlion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis
I don't see the need to cancel yet but I'm 99% certain I will go in another direction than the F150 Lightning. Ford really messed up by making the large battery pack start at $74,000. I also feel like that this truck will be outdated by the time I get it, with the slow charging and lack of basic EV features without going to the Lariat or platinum trim.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
With a lease, the tax credit is taken off the top of the purchase price if the lessor chooses to pass it through to the lessee. Most of the financing companies I've interacted with are doing this with Hyundai/Kia being a notable exception. I'm not sure what the domestic manufacturers have been doing.
Yes, this is how both of my BMW i3 leases worked.

Chevy did it, too.

Tesla didn't last I looked, and I assume they still don't because their lease pricing was terrible last I looked.

Sponsored

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum
Dealer told me no lol
The dealer said no to what, being preapproved, or using Ford Options? Is it for them to say how you finance, I thought that wasn’t their call? Ford’s option page definitely indicates they want to offer Ford Options for a Lightning.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Yes, this is how both of my BMW i3 leases worked.

Chevy did it, too.

Tesla didn't last I looked, and I assume they still don't because their lease pricing was terrible last I looked.
I think Ford does *not* pass the credit through and one of the reasons they offer an alternative "X-plan" that *does* pass the credit through to the "purchaser" (customer).

I'm not sure why they did that as opposed to simply passing the credit through, but that's my understanding of the salient difference between a "lease" and "X-plan" although I don't know all the details.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I think Ford does *not* pass the credit through and one of the reasons they offer an alternative "X-plan" that *does* pass the credit through to the "purchaser" (customer).

I'm not sure why they did that as opposed to simply passing the credit through, but that's my understanding of the salient difference between a "lease" and "X-plan" although I don't know all the details.
I think you are confusing "X-plan" and "Ford Options". X-plan has nothing to do with the tax credit. It is a discount program for Ford Shareholders and members/employees of certain organizations. X-plan is not available on the Lightning.

Ford Options is the balloon payment loan that Ford is using instead of a lease for their EVs - it let's you keep the tax credit. Honestly I think it is a better approach than a lease as it give the buyer more rights and flexibility(you own the vehicle) while still keeping the risk with Ford. The only reason I can think why a lease would be preferred over Ford Options is if you can't take advantage of the full tax credit due to income.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
I think you are confusing "X-plan" and "Ford Options". X-plan has nothing to do with the tax credit. It is a discount program for Ford Shareholders and members/employees of certain organizations. X-plan is not available on the Lightning.

Ford Options is the balloon payment loan that Ford is using instead of a lease for their EVs - it let's you keep the tax credit. Honestly I think it is a better approach than a lease as it give the buyer more rights and flexibility(you own the vehicle) while still keeping the risk with Ford. The only reason I can think why a lease would be preferred over Ford Options is if you can't take advantage of the full tax credit due to income.
Yes, I was confusing the two. Thank you for the clarification.

While I can understand why a purchaser might choose Options for the reasons you stated, my comment was that I don't understand why Ford offers it. They could pass the tax credit through to their lessees if they wanted to and didn't need to create an "Options" option to do so. Did Options originate with the Mach-E/hybrids or has it always been a third option alongside traditional purchase and lease for ICE sales?

Sundancer330

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT, FX4, Velocity Blue
I am so happy I didn't get caught up in all the hype over this EV. I am still on the fence leaning toward a big NO on these fitting my needs for towing until they can increase the range. Good luck to all waiting in line but this isn't for me. Happy with my ICE.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yes, I was confusing the two. Thank you for the clarification.

While I can understand why a purchaser might choose Options for the reasons you stated, my comment was that I don't understand why Ford offers it. They could pass the tax credit through to their lessees if they wanted to and didn't need to create an "Options" option to do so. Did Options originate with the Mach-E/hybrids or has it always been a third option alongside traditional purchase and lease for ICE sales?
It is a recent thing as far as I know. Maybe Ford just didn't want to pay to set up the infrastructure to deal with all the tax credit paperwork.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I'm going to hold my reservation for a while but I'm definitely not ordering with the current pricing. I'll wait to see if they break up the 312A option and remove the requirement for 312A for the ER battery when they release the 2023 pricing.

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Are people really upset that the Pro model isn’t available to the general public, a model which Ford clearly stated you had to have a fleet account with 10-15 vehicles to order any Pro model?

Or did the price change more than I am aware of. Pretty sure on day 1 of lightning announcements said that the high end models would be 90k+.

If regular consumers being told they can’t purchase something for the base price because they aren’t fleet is bait and switch, then ok. Lol.

Am I totally missing something here folks?

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Are people really upset that the Pro model isn’t available to the general public, a model which Ford clearly stated you had to have a fleet account with 10-15 vehicles to order any Pro model?

Or did the price change more than I am aware of. Pretty sure on day 1 of lightning announcements said that the high end models would be 90k+.

If regular consumers being told they can’t purchase something for the base price because they aren’t fleet is bait and switch, then ok. Lol.

Am I totally missing something here folks?
People are upset Ford bundled everything into packages instead of doing it the same as the ICE counterpart. Pretty much a Pro with Extended Range would have probably been sold out by now followed by XLT. Personally I was looking at $65K for an XLT with extended range. Not even close.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.