• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Front camera not popping up when close to objects??

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I have a Lariat SR tow tech and max tow. I watched a video on YouTube with a Lightning testing his front sensor to see how close he can get to a pole. His front camera popped up on the screen to show how close you are, mine doesn't do this. Is there a setting or do I even have this feature?
Sponsored

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GTPE (sold). F150L Platinum
You need to be pretty close to something before it comes on automatically. 360 cam is standard on lariat, so you have it.

Press the camera button on the top your screen and you can manually switch to the front cam if you're worried it's not working.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Ive got a friend with a Lexus with front/surround cameras - every time he slows below 4 or 5 MPH the surround/front cameras pop up on his display. Riding with him over the years I never liked that as they popped up even at a stop light.

After driving the truck almost a year, I truly wish the front camera would pop up more often. Especially at DCFC's where you've got low poles in front of you that you can't see and you want to get as close as you can. I know that Ford improved and gave us pretty easy access to a button to activate camera's but there might be just a few more options they could give us that would still improve the driver experience.

This isn't a huge problem, it is just that we have tons of technology in our trucks, might as well use it in smart ways to make it easier on the driver.

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GTPE (sold). F150L Platinum
Ive got a friend with a Lexus with front/surround cameras - every time he slows below 4 or 5 MPH the surround/front cameras pop up on his display. Riding with him over the years I never liked that as they popped up even at a stop light.

After driving the truck almost a year, I truly wish the front camera would pop up more often. Especially at DCFC's where you've got low poles in front of you that you can't see and you want to get as close as you can. I know that Ford improved and gave us pretty easy access to a button to activate camera's but there might be just a few more options they could give us that would still improve the driver experience.

This isn't a huge problem, it is just that we have tons of technology in our trucks, might as well use it in smart ways to make it easier on the driver.
It'll pop up well before you hit any poles. It'll also beep at you like crazy.

Bills R Electric

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
I have a Lariat SR tow tech and max tow. I watched a video on YouTube with a Lightning testing his front sensor to see how close he can get to a pole. His front camera popped up on the screen to show how close you are, mine doesn't do this. Is there a setting or do I even have this feature?
On mine I have to be very close before the Front Camera View pops up, but it does.

Sponsored

FordTough98198

First Name
Domenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Expedition MAX KR, 2022 Lightning (reserved)
Occupation
Business Consultant
Are your front sensors turned on or off? Do they beep when you get close? You can manually override front or rear sensors to be permanently off in the submenu. I’m assuming if they aren’t on the camera won’t also pop up.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Yeah, have to be very close and moving very slow. The camera view should pop up long before it does, not sure why the threshold has to be so tight. On my Expedition, the camera views would pop up anytime I was at slower parking speed and there were other vehicles/objects next to or in front of it within 5 feet or so and it was a lot more immediately functional where I didn't have to reach for the camera button all the time.

The truck usually beeps to warn proximity a time or two before automatically engaging the camera. That seems a little backwards to me.

Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Cameras are on - they come on every time I pull into the garage - I pull in to just kiss the wall each time for my truck to fit. At a charger or other places they come on about 50% of the time. The field of view is too spotty and it won't always pick up a 4" post. I'll adapt and learn to hit the camera button, but I think it could be tweaked or improved or give the driver a few more options for availability. The data is all there - it's just up to Ford to use it and give the driver options.

OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
Are your front sensors turned on or off? Do they beep when you get close? You can manually override front or rear sensors to be permanently off in the submenu. I’m assuming if they aren’t on the camera won’t also pop up.
All sensors beep and alert even the front for pre crash alert, I've never seen the camera pop up or a alert when getting close to a front object. I didn't realize it should until I watched it on YouTube. I will look again for front sensor setting.

OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
I just tested it on my garage door I get a yellow and then red alert with this screen but no camera pop up

Ford F-150 Lightning Front camera not popping up when close to objects?? 20230619_074204

• Sad
Reactions: GDN

Sponsored
OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
I've checked the driver assistance and all is on, the only thing to try I guess is to raise the sensitivity but I'm sure thats for cars ahead of me. 🤔

Ford F-150 Lightning Front camera not popping up when close to objects?? 20230619_180722

FordTough98198

First Name
Domenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Expedition MAX KR, 2022 Lightning (reserved)
Occupation
Business Consultant
So here’s a weird question… I see that you have the button for active park assist. Does that button work? Do you have active park assist in your model? Was it deleted in your build?

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
The relevent settings are in the Parking section.

OP
OP
CRAIGC540

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technician
So here’s a weird question… I see that you have the button for active park assist. Does that button work? Do you have active park assist in your model? Was it deleted in your build?
I have never pressed that button and will try it this evening. I forgot active park assist was even a feature . :) My wife has the truck today and if this works she will love it.
Sponsored