• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Future Battery Upgrades?

alexose

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 C-Max, 1999 F150
I am far less concerned about the battery pack. Li batteries in their "old age" tend to degrade less and less. If they don't fail early, they are not likely to fail later. They will degrade gradually. The Er truck will have range of an SR and the SR even worse, but still decent and reliable.

I am far more worried about the all new and complicated cooling systems and electronics and just the issues associated with a new truck design. I fear that our 2023 Lighting could be a nightmare in 15 years or sooner.

Many trucks are driven (before they are totaled, crushed etc) by multiple owners. Its a foodchain. I worry the truck "foodchain" so to speak could be hard on those fellows that rely on an old truck because they cannot afford better. Old trucks are repaired by shade tree mechanics or independent shops. That will be harder and harder with EV stuff.

My family farm tends to buy new and drive till death or near. Oldest truck is 58 years old (not fair, restored F100 65') but the '95 1500 Silverado is a true beater. 2004 Chevy also beat up and used. Next is a 2008 2500HD. Newest is a 2009 unit.

The 2023 Lightning will be the first Ford since 1988 (don't have the F250 anymore). But I seriously doubt the Lightning will make 20 years. 58? Never.

Now, the batteries will get re-used or recycled. For sure. Rest=Crush
You're probably right. The sad truth is that at the end of the day, we rely on Ford's proprietary designs in order to keep our vehicles on the road.

Maybe the Purism folks will design a truck at some point :)
Sponsored