• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Future Battery Upgrades?

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Sorry if this subject has been covered elsewhere. I have searched and didn’t see anything. A link to that thread would gladly be accepted.

Otherwise, here’s the question to the collective:

With the advancements in this battery technology moving forward at light speed and the competition coming out with superior range capability, What’s the likelihood that our early Lightnings will have an option (expensive one no doubt) to upgrade and gain additional range?

Thoughts, Opinions or Insight?
Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Sorry if this subject has been covered elsewhere. I have searched and didn’t see anything. A link to that thread would gladly be accepted.

Otherwise, here’s the question to the collective:

With the advancements in this battery technology moving forward at light speed and the competition coming out with superior range capability, What’s the likelihood that our early Lightnings will have an option (expensive one no doubt) to upgrade and gain additional range?

Thoughts, Opinions or Insight?
Doubtful.

There is a lot of work in the verification process for a new battery to be used in a vehicle. You need to drop a lot of packs, submerge a lot of packs, short circuit a lot of packs, put a BUNCH of packs into thermal runaway, crush a lot of packs, shake a lot of packs, thermal shock a lot of packs, etc.

I figure that if EVERY test goes perfectly and passes all the criteria, you are looking at well a couple of hundred packs. If something fails, you redesign and start over on all the tests.

I do this for a living (check my bio) and we are working on packs that will be introduced in a couple of years. I blow up so many packs that I have a backlog processing the hazardous waste iaw the CFRs

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
It’ll most likely depend on how long Ford produces the Lightning in its current form before going to a clean sheet EV design, which will most likely use different battery dimensions and make retrofits impossible. However, if they decide to keep the current frame design around for another generation and come out with a bigger pack to compete with the Ram REV/Cybertruck, it might be possible for a hefty sum of money.

If you look at an EV platform like the Model S that has been around for a decade, some of the original cars had 60 or 85 kWh batteries and a few eventually needed to be replaced (most under warranty). By that point, Tesla no longer built packs that small, so retrofitting an up to date and higher capacity new/refurb battery of at least equal capacity (75-100kwh) was their solution instead of warehousing old packs for warranty spares. But the key to that plan was the Model S chassis going unchanged besides minor suspension tweaks for a very long time.

So it could be a thing in the future, but I certainly wouldn’t count on it. It’ll all depend on how Ford plans to support their vehicles.

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
I would be happy if I could someday replace my degraded SR pack for a ER. Extra HP with the right programming. I can live with the 48A onboard.

However, I’m sure it will be cheaper to just sell it and get something else by then.

There is an independent shop in Portland, OR that has figured out how to swap batteries from the newest Leaf into any of the older models. Great service to offer and keep cars on the road longer.

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
No doubt eventually there will be a big industry of repairing and replacing old batteries. And when batteries get below $50/kWh, the Lighting battery will cost $7000 to replace and they might even have larger options. But I doubt we'll see this being mainstream for 10+ years.

Sponsored

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
Battery tech is not advancing at “light speed”. We won’t see a substantial shift until solid state batteries can be produced cost effectively at scale — likely a decade away.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Only thing you can really hope for is if inside 8 years or 100k miles, you have an SR and you need a warranty replacement, and they only keep ER batteries in stock for those, and you end up with that as your replacement.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
It’ll most likely depend on how long Ford produces the Lightning in its current form before going to a clean sheet EV design, which will most likely use different battery dimensions and make retrofits impossible.

The next generation Lightning is a clean sheet design and will not use the current Lightning frame. The current Lightning frame is a compromise to make the Lightning work with the ICE truck body. The next gen ICE truck won't even use their current frame when redesigned for 2026.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
If they sell enough Lightnings before new gen kicks in, independent shops may think of something.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Zero likelihood.

There is a chance that Ford will increase the AVAILABLE size over time. I believe the ER battery is 143.3kWh, of which 131 is usable. So there is 12.3kWh held by Ford. On the Mach-E, it shipped with 88kWh, which was upgraded to 91kWh, of the actual 98kWh.

Sponsored

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
I'm one who keeps my vehicles until they don't run anymore, and I don't put in a lot of mileage on an annual basis. So it's a safe bet that I will be covered by the 8-year warranty for the full duration. My theory (based on no facts, just my opinion), it that at some point Ford may either replace my packs with better ones, or make me an offer I can't refuse to retire the vehicle. As others have said, I think the technology will continue to advance by leaps and bounds. As some point it will be cheaper for Ford to retrofit older packs with new technology rather than trying to continue to repair them.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I'm one who keeps my vehicles until they don't run anymore, and I don't put in a lot of mileage on an annual basis. So it's a safe bet that I will be covered by the 8-year warranty for the full duration. My theory (based on no facts, just my opinion), it that at some point Ford may either replace my packs with better ones, or make me an offer I can't refuse to retire the vehicle. As others have said, I think the technology will continue to advance by leaps and bounds. As some point it will be cheaper for Ford to retrofit older packs with new technology rather than trying to continue to repair them.
Remember that the warranty is 70% or more at 8 years / 100,000 miles.

So, if it's at 65%, Ford simply releases 5% or more of the capacity (which they hold) and you're at 70% or greater, and the warranty commitment is met.

OP
OP
The Weatherman

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I’m the same way when it comes to long term ownership and I hope your right on the technology upgrade in the future.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I'm planning on a Coyote swap when my battery dies.😄

lakeguy55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2011 F-150, 98 Expedition
Remember that the warranty is 70% or more at 8 years / 100,000 miles.

So, if it's at 65%, Ford simply releases 5% or more of the capacity (which they hold) and you're at 70% or greater, and the warranty commitment is met.
Which I would be ok with. If the batteries are still working at 70% after 8 years, that would be ok. I could still use the truck as desired and intended.
Sponsored