• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Gear shift not disengaging.

Hamtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Sorento, Tesla X
Occupation
Lawyer
I have 1900 miles on my Lariat. In the last two weeks the gear shift lock will not disengage with out forcing the shifter.

The issue will last for a few drives and then seems to correct itself to only remanifest.

Any one else experience this?
Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
How do you force it to get it to move? Mine seemed to be locked and not move taking it out of park, but realized I was likely pulling on it some. Truly now - I push forward on it each time and it will come of out park each time. Might just double check and give it a little push forward before pressing the button and taking it out of park. Just one thought, you might have actual problems as many have noted how janky that shifter already feels.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I havenā€™t had that problem, but wanted to note that the shifter has a locking mechanism engaged when the truck is plugged into a charger.

accordingly, perhaps itā€™s possible there is something wrong at either the shifter itself, or instead at the charge port?

Watching thread to see what is learned

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have 1900 miles on my Lariat. In the last two weeks the gear shift lock will not disengage with out forcing the shifter.

The issue will last for a few drives and then seems to correct itself to only remanifest.

Any one else experience this?
Good morning. Can you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to take a closer look at your Lightning's shifting issues.

OP
OP

Hamtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Sorento, Tesla X
Occupation
Lawyer
How do you force it to get it to move? Mine seemed to be locked and not move taking it out of park, but realized I was likely pulling on it some. Truly now - I push forward on it each time and it will come of out park each time. Might just double check and give it a little push forward before pressing the button and taking it out of park. Just one thought, you might have actual problems as many have noted how janky that shifter already feels.
These all all good suggestion, and initially thought it was an operator error. However, the shifter now makes ā€œgear grindingā€ noises when you hit the retract button. Also, the issue is not exclusive to shifting out of park, which would be emblematic of brake light switch issues that have plagued early 2000 VW and Subaru.

In regards to forcing, I have to use an excessive amount of force to shift. For an EV this is odd because the is nothing mechanically being engaged to shift gears. There should be little to no resistance. I have a Tesla Model X and drive enhancement is a stalk that has zero mechanical function.

Last edited:
Reactions: GDN

Sponsored
OP
OP

Hamtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
KIA Sorento, Tesla X
Occupation
Lawyer
I havenā€™t had that problem, but wanted to note that the shifter has a locking mechanism engaged when the truck is plugged into a charger.

accordingly, perhaps itā€™s possible there is something wrong at either the shifter itself, or instead at the charge port?

Watching thread to see what is learned
I will report back. The issue occurs when the truck is not plugged in. Occurred yesterday in a parking lot. I am perplexed by the intermittent nature of the issue. The issue also occurs with different drivers so it is unlikely to be an operator error.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I will report back. The issue occurs when the truck is not plugged in. Occurred yesterday in a parking lot. I am perplexed by the intermittent nature of the issue. The issue also occurs with different drivers so it is unlikely to be an operator error.
yes sorry, I didnā€™t mean to suggest it was happening because plugged in, but instead only to point out that whatever is telling the truck to not move the shifter, itā€™s theoretically possible the issue is occurring at either the shifter itself or possibly instead ā€œatā€ the charge port, effectively making the truck think it is plugged in when itā€™s not.

no clue, of course, if the ā€œplugged inā€ signal is mechanical (ie something at the charge port is physically moved when plugged in, thereby signaling the shifter to not move) or instead the signal is completely software based (ie when the truck knows itā€™s otherwise charging, it signals the shifter to not move).
Sponsored