• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Headwind effect yesterday

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
An instantaneous mi/kWh indication and range display would be nice. Even a current % battery remaining and a % at destination at current efficiency would be nice. Tesla does a better job with that
As a newbie EV owner, I haven't gotten very deep into the weeds yet, but there are OBDII scanners that can capture your current speed and power output, so maybe with something like Home Assistant (ignorance showing here), you could manage a display of instantaneous or short-term mi/kWh, etc. If you have a premium subscription to ABRP, it will supposedly factor live data both from your truck and Internet data on traffic and weather and, on the fly, adjust the predicted arrival SOC of your vehicle, warn you if you're getting into trouble. I have yet to check ABRP out thoroughly. Texas Dan's posts on trips to Colorado and back where he said ABRP beat the pants off the Ford Nav system convinced me to give ABRP a whirl.

It's a Swedish company, but Rivian now owns it.

Iternio - Home of ABRP

Introduction | Iternio

ABRP - A Better Routeplanner (web route planning site for ABRP, also apps for Android and iOS).

Car Comparison - A Better Routeplanner (one of my favorite parts of the Iternio website - data a bit out of date, but check out the Lucid Air vs. the Ford F-150 Lightning. Perhaps the Lucid Air will be the Tucker of the 21st Century?)
Sponsored

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
I’d love to have instantaneous m/kwh so I can see the sweet spot on trips when I’m willing to sacrifice speed for range. It seems they have all the info to do this.
It is absolutely doable. You can do it with an OBDII reader and a phone app (like carscanner), but IMO it needs to be on the dashboard display. My wife's GV60 has it, where it will show a somewhat smoothed out "instant mi/kwh" reading.

I also think that the guess o meter could be drastically improved by providing multiple estimates all at once, showing:
Estimated range based on last mile efficiency
Estimated range based on last 5 mile efficiency
10 miles
20 miles, etc. (adjust the distances for whatever works best in testing, or could also do it based on time as well rather than distance though IMO that wouldn't be as good).

My wife's car also shows how much range can be gained if you turn off the HVAC and audio, not sure if I recall the F150 showing it but it would be helpful info as well.

RichB-HTX

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT
It is absolutely doable. You can do it with an OBDII reader and a phone app (like carscanner), but IMO it needs to be on the dashboard display. My wife's GV60 has it, where it will show a somewhat smoothed out "instant mi/kwh" reading.

I also think that the guess o meter could be drastically improved by providing multiple estimates all at once, showing:
10 miles
20 miles, etc. (adjust the distances for whatever works best in testing, or could also do it based on time as well rather than distance though IMO that wouldn't be as good).

My wife's car also shows how much range can be gained if you turn off the HVAC and audio, not sure if I recall the F150 showing it but it would be helpful info as well.
Yes, all those things would be helpful.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired

10 miles

The HVAC and Audio use %’s are available in the Trip display on the Sync screen. This Trip would give you a factor to determine how much you would gain by turn them both off.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
The HVAC and Audio use %’s are available in the Trip display on the Sync screen. This Trip would give you a factor to determine how much you would gain by turn them both off.
Right but that is an extra calculation and I think the majority of the general public honestly wouldn't know how to figure out even that basic arithmetic, or have the initiative to do it.

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Right but that is an extra calculation and I think the majority of the general public honestly wouldn't know how to figure out even that basic arithmetic, or have the initiative to do it.
I agree. Didn’t know if you aware of that information being there. But yes it would be nicer to have the calculation done for us.
Sponsored