• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Help! Power train failure after software update

Speeddemon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model y
Looking for help! After a recent software update (PUO306-BCF-DET) I got the power train malfunction / high voltage battery warning and reduced power to 20%. I had been driving around all morning for hours, and after shifting from reverse to drive (maybe too quickly?) I got this error. This happened once before and after turning off and on the truck it immediately disappeared and everything went back to normal. This was also after a software update so l assume it was a bug. Drove to the dealer and they said they can't help till Monday with no loaner so I drove home. Hoping the truck resets itself but l've seen others with same issue. I've had the truck for 1 year - 37k miles so I would think if it was a battery issue it would have been apparent before now? And suggestions appreciated!!

Ford F-150 Lightning Help! Power train failure after software update IMG_5363
Sponsored

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
Looking for help! After a recent software update (PUO306-BCF-DET) I got the power train malfunction / high voltage battery warning and reduced power to 20%. I had been driving around all morning for hours, and after shifting from reverse to drive (maybe too quickly?) I got this error. This happened once before and after turning off and on the truck it immediately disappeared and everything went back to normal. This was also after a software update so l assume it was a bug. Drove to the dealer and they said they can't help till Monday with no loaner so I drove home. Hoping the truck resets itself but l've seen others with same issue. I've had the truck for 1 year - 37k miles so I would think if it was a battery issue it would have been apparent before now? And suggestions appreciated!!

IMG_5363.jpeg
I'm confused. Is the issue still present or did it go away after you turned it off and back on?

bdivell

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning
Same issue, dealer said cell issue with no ETA 😞

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Probably just coincidental. Bound to be someone who gets the issue right at same time as an update. Just like people who get the flu the same week they got the flu shot, dumb luck.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Speeddemon

Speeddemon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model y
Probably just coincidental. Bound to be someone who gets the issue right at same time as an update. Just like people who get the flu the same week they got the flu shot, dumb luck.
This has happened to 4-5 people. I don’t think that’s a coincidence.

Shorevet

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco, GT500, Ranger, Corvette
Occupation
Retired
Just got the same warnings this morning. Dealer said to have it towed in.

Ozworld

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT
Same here, got the same message the morning after the software update. It has been in the dealer for the last 45 days and still waiting.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Speeddemon

Speeddemon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model y
I got my truck back Friday. Took 4 weeks to get the battery in, 1 day install.

I recommend contacting the BEV team and starting a Case To have a contact to push things along.

RaptorEV

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
McLaren 12C
Occupation
Secret Agent
Ford needs to make OTA updates opt-in only, not automatic. The truck runs fine, then Ford pushes some stupid OTA update and it's bricked. That's happened several time in the past few months. It's all completely nonsensical. If it ain't broke, don't "fix" it. OTA updates have been a scam from the beginning (with Tesla). I hate Windows auto-updates (there always seems to be some peripheral driver issue that crops up due to the update). I test drove a Lightning for the first time two weeks ago, and joined this forum in prep for purchase. Now I'm hesitant after reading about all of these software glitches.

LUXMAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning PRO and XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Ha! Software updates they say! My truck won't even do those. SO maybe I'll be good

Ozworld

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning XLT
any details?
XLT, purchased back in October. Overnight on 7/11 updated software, next morning when starting the truck to work got the Powertrain Malfunction and High Voltage Battery Warnings. Drove the truck to the dealer, and was told that they needed to order a new battery module from Ford. Module installed last week but was told that they are still troubleshooting.
Sponsored