• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

High Speed, Level 2 Public Charging Coming to North America

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
We have the home x5 (30 amp max) with no complaints. It is well made and quite durable, though we have never tested that aspect. The EVSEs (we have 2) were provided by our utility company. One of our neighbors has one as well with his ID4. I would gladly use a higher power unit if available. Our phev only draws 15 amps, other EV can take up to 48 and lightning will be able to take up to 80amps.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
That is cool but it will be a long time before those become common. Unfortunately, the 10s of thousands of L2 chargers already out there would be very expensive to upgrade to 80A, if it’s even possible.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I find it odd they're claiming that they have the fastest charger ever as if it's new, as Clipper Creek has made an 80A charger for well over a decade (CS-100)... of course, it's hellaciously expensive, and I'd love to see competitors in that market. I disliked when Tesla stopped selling theirs - I have 2 of them (one gen 1, one gen 2).

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Public L2 chargers are sometimes good but most of the time pretty dismal.

Like 5kWh charge rates which will take forever on our Lightnings.

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Even 80A in a commercial setting is going to be nerfed because it'll be 208V (16.6 kW) most of the time.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The best part about high current L2 is that the cord isn't a million pounds hanging off the cheap plastic port.

Any L2 is dismal if one is on a road trip. L2 is only good for when you have hours to wait. Shopping, dining or such. Not a typical Buc-ee's stop.

YankeeCP

First Name
CP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat SR Lightning
My office has Tesla chargers(assuming won’t be able to use) and a Clipper Creek charger. Any idea what I can expect to get for range when using this?

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The best part about high current L2 is that the cord isn't a million pounds hanging off the cheap plastic port.

Any L2 is dismal if one is on a road trip. L2 is only good for when you have hours to wait. Shopping, dining or such. Not a typical Buc-ee's stop.
Hotels with L2 are great for road trips / vacations!

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
They say a Model 3 gets about 44 mile an hour which seems kinda high but also has efficient mpe-e so figure max on F150 EV to be about 22 or so.

You do have to realize that some of the chargers can derate to 3Kwh which isn't bad but can take a lot time in winter or high use.

If my work offered 120VAC outlet I'd use it everyday.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
They say a Model 3 gets about 44 mile an hour which seems kinda high but also has efficient mpe-e so figure max on F150 EV to be about 22 or so.

You do have to realize that some of the chargers can derate to 3Kwh which isn't bad but can take a lot time in winter or high use.

If my work offered 120VAC outlet I'd use it everyday.
You’re probably correct, if 22 kWh at that. TFL experienced this on their x-country road trip when they stopped and plugged-in at a hotel overnight….they ended up having to stop at a fast charger on their way out in the morning. Unfortunately, a lot of hotels don’t state the kWh rating of their chargers), so it makes it hard to include them in trip planning…….at least with a battery pack as large as the Lightnin’s…….

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
You’re probably correct, if 22 kWh at that. TFL experienced this on their x-country road trip when they stopped and plugged-in at a hotel overnight….they ended up having to stop at a fast charger on their way out in the morning. Unfortunately, a lot of hotels don’t state the kWh rating of their chargers), so it makes it hard to include them in trip planning…….at least with a battery pack as large as the Lightnin’s…….
I found it hilarious that after all the installations that have gone in with 30A EVSE's connected at 208V that most commercial facilities have access to (that's 6.24kW TFL), TFL threw a fit at the first overnight stop they showed up to with a vehicle having a monster battery and didn't get the full charge that was "owed" to them. They actually called the hotel chain to complain.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The electricity was free, the use of the evse was free and yet they complained. This is just the kind of reason hotels are not repairing their FREE evse's so that some customers can get FREE electricity. Jerks.
Sponsored