• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How do you use your Lightning?

Gullwing

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
With the recent price drop on the Lightning I'm thinking about pulling the trigger but I'm curious how folks are using their trucks. Are people using it to do truck stuff (hauling/towing stuff)? And if so, how well does it handle it?
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
I drive it..... Plug 🔌 things in it, carry Home Depot things, and tow a boat 10-20 miles from my house. It's a killer truck and will be even better when Tesla chargers are available for use next year!

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I pulled a 16’ flatbed loaded with about 2 tons of rock and dirt about 40 miles. The truck handled that as well as any truck I’ve owned.

My only concern is ripping the tongue off the trailer when accelerating! (JK)

Sponsored

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
Say Ford had done an Expedition Lightning first instead, I'd have totally destroyed the carpeting in the back by now. I love having a truck again, I have done a bunch of landscaping and other projects I had been putting off, I've moved appliances, furniture.

OP
OP

Gullwing

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Thanks all for the feedback so far, sounds like if I needed haul another 500lb box blade or pull a heavy utility trailer the truck can handle it and it's not just an electrified mall crawler or grocery getter.

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
I have hauled tons of gravel, sheet rock, plywood, framing lumber, furniture, heavy trash, and green waste - most of it local, but some 1500+ miles in my Pro SR. Even at GVWR its performance remains robust with great road manners. My only regret is that the truck bed isn’t a bit longer. I have not had an occasion to tow yet, but have all the hardware and expect it would be brilliant at it. Let me add that at my property in the Ozarks, the Lightning must negotiate a very steep gravel driveway in only fair condition. Its AWD makes it seem easy, even with a heavy load. I LOVE my Lightning work truck.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I have hauled tons of gravel, sheet rock, plywood, framing lumber, furniture, heavy trash, and green waste - most of it local, but some 1500+ miles in my Pro SR. Even at GVWR its performance remains robust with great road manners. My only regret is that the truck bed isn’t a bit longer. I have not had an occasion to tow yet, but have all the hardware and expect it would be brilliant at it. Let me add that at my property in the Ozarks, the Lightning must negotiate a very steep gravel driveway in only fair condition. Its AWD makes it seem easy, even with a heavy load. I LOVE my Lightning work truck.
Vacationing in the Ozarks right now. Everything here is steep!

+1 on the longer bed. If a 6-1/2’ were offered, I’d have gotten it.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Thanks all for the feedback so far, sounds like if I needed haul another 500lb box blade or pull a heavy utility trailer the truck can handle it and it's not just an electrified mall crawler or grocery getter.
Like gas trucks, these trucks have a payload capacity and a total weight capacity. The PULLING power is incredible with 775lb-ft of torque. But, like with gas trucks, you need to understand what's safe to load in your bed or pull on a trailer.

My 2013 F-150 XLT with SuperCab and 6.5' bed has a payload of 1,643 pounds. GVWR 7,350.
My 2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat with Crewcab and 5.5' bed has a payload of... 1,686. GVWR 8,550. With 13% tongue weight, I could tow a trailer weighing 331 pounds more...

Why?
2013 weighs 5,707. 2022 Lightning weighs 6,864.

Sponsored

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
My 2013 F-150 XLT with SuperCab and 6.5' bed has a payload of 1,643 pounds. GVWR 7,350.
My 2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat with Crewcab and 5.5' bed has a payload of... 1,686. GVWR 8,550. With 13% tongue weight, I could tow a trailer weighing 331 pounds more...
On of the reasons I went with the Pro SR is its carrying capacity. It has an empty weight of 6,015 lbs and a GVWR of 8,250 lbs, with a payload of 2,235 lbs. And trust me, I've used every bit of it. Interestingly, even with a ton of gravel in the bed, the Lightning still sits just slightly tail-high.

I appreciate that the Pro SR, without the tow package, is limited to 5,000 lbs - but I tow infrequently and the 5K should cover my requirements.

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
I have been taking lots of road trips. Interesting in an SR but exciting regardless.

Tom Worthington

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning, Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Physicist
Used my Lightning to power Field Day for the Maui Amateur Radio Club, KH6RS. Field Day is the largest emergency communication exercise in the world. Ham clubs set up portable stations and test them by trying to make as many contacts as possible in a 24 hour period, the last weekend in June. We had two stations, each transmitting at 500 W, also the coffee pot, lights, hammer drill, etc.. Set up on Friday, operate Saturday, take down Sunday. Started at 100% charge at home Friday morning, 74% charge remaining Sunday morning, 60% charge when I got home. (We used to borrow a diesel generator for power)

MacLightning

First Name
Fion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning XLT
Making hay while the sun shines.
Ford F-150 Lightning How do you use your Lightning? 20230728_165623
Lightning tows hay wagons like a champ (though backing them up with the miserable turning radius is interesting).And powering a hay elevator at a neighbor's old barn off the truck instead of a screaming 3k generator: Priceless!
Sponsored