• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How long do you plan on keeping your Lightning?

How many years?

• <= 2 years

• 3 - 6 years

• 6 - 9 years

• 10 - 12 years

• Never getting rid of it....

Results are only viewable after voting.

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
2-3years max. Have never held a car longer than that. Likely something with 800v architecture and doesn’t have to be a Ford either.
Sponsored

monsterlag

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model Y Performance
if the lightning had faster charge speeds I'd keep it for 6-8 years like normal. Still boggles my mind the charge speed maxes out at slow 150kw. silly engineering decisions like not bothering with a heat pump, a lacklustre app, and switching to android in year 2 shows this thing was rushed.

I know the cybertruck is going to blow it out of the water spec wise. I think ford also knows this so the 2nd gen lightning has to step it up big time. ill be trading for one of the two as soon as they're available which sounds like 2025.

Lightning could be in its 3rd gen and I doubt Cybertruck will be out.

rlbussard

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach E GTPE, 22 Ford Lightning, 23 Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Army MSG Retired
My wife and I are the absolute worst at keeping vehicles, but I am trying to make this one a keeper for at least 3 years or more. My wife is going on 2 years with her Mach E in about 6 months and said she has no interest in getting rid of her First Edition Premium. It has been at least 15 years since the last time we have kept a vehicle for over two years, so she will be the first to pass it at the end of the year. I could guarantee that I keep this one far at least 3-4 years if it had Android Automotive, but since it doesn't, I may bail on this truck the first chance I get to get another that has AA in it.

My biggest problem is that I love the constant updating of technology, hopefully Ford can keep models updated and I can better control my impulse buys that I do too much.

JRTN34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, 2020 Tesla Model Y
Based on what I know right now, I'm likely to trade for a Cyber Truck as soon as I can. Resigning myself to live with the Lightning shortcomings vs Tesla until the CT comes. However unless there are dramatic changes I can't see passing on the CT and keeping the Lightning.

Yes, I thought the CT was a joke at first but put in a reservation immediately, now I've grown to love the design. I had reserved a Model Y and was pleasantly surprised when they released it early. So the delay on the CT is frustrating and I hope the Lightning scratches that itch and holds a good value the first year with the big order backlog. The tax incentive hurts used cars, so that disappearing will help trading in a year or two.

I'm really afraid of the non-Tesla charging infrastructure. Driving a Tesla is close to driving a gas car when traveling, you just don't need to think much about it. You get in and go, it tells you where to stop and you can trust there will be a working charger when you get there. The stories I see on the forums and reviews don't make me comfortable that I can do the same with the Lightning. If my experience is different though, maybe I will keep it longer.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
IT’S A TRUCK. As long as it’s reliable and performs like a truck, I’ll keep it. I’ve been driving trucks for 40 years, keeping the good ones for 10+ and dumping poor performers in 3. My past criteria was electrical gremlins or frame rust mean times up for that vehicle. Anything mechanical can be fixed. I hope that’s true for the Lightning.

Sponsored

SmokingtheMeats

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150
Occupation
Tech
I’ve owned my current ICE Lariat for 12 years. I’ll keep it as long as I see fit. If there are many upgrades to the 2nd gen, I’ll likely order it

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
It's a tricky question, for me I'm hoping 5-10 years, but technology advancements will probably drive that more than anything.

Point is, sure, we'll go from Sync4 to Android Automotive and who knows what the next greatest thing will be, but there's nothing wrong with Sync4 per se. I currently drive a 8yr old Jeep with UConnect and it's fine, wish I had Android Auto but it's not the end of the world. It'll get faster, 5G will become 6G and potentially sat links, etc. but unless 6G or whatever it is called is incompatible with 5G and they shut it down, things should still work.

Biggest risk/challenge is drivetrain, hypothetically, let's say you get 50% more range and half the charging time in 5-6 years, well, that would be a compelling argument to upgrade, plus with such a drastic improvement on "new technology" our 2022 Lightnings will be as valuable as a 5yr old digital camera or smartphone. So resale/trade-in value might also be a driver for selling before it drops off a cliff.

Pjlightning

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150
When they come out with a 6.5 foot bed version of the Lightning,

I like this truck, but the bed was a big give up, downsizing to a 5.5 bed.

Hoping the longer bed allows for further range too, given additional room for a larger ER+ battery

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
If the truck can make it through it’s 8 year power train warranty without major issues, I’ll probably drive it till the wheels fall off. If not I’ll probably trade it in for a newer one.

The real cost savings of EVs (besides gas) is the 100,000-150,000 mile service intervals as long as you take care of basic stuff like air filters/wipers

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Silverado EV?

I have a first hour Silverado EV(not first edition) reservation...est release summer 2024 as a fail safe. We'll see how I like the Lightning and see what comes from GM.

On the fence about whether I'll "upgrade" or not..will also put in a reservation for 2nd gen Lightning...
Ditto, except first 10 minute reservation. Will be interesting to see - and by that point I will know if the extended 400 mile range is really necessary or if the 320 mile range is sufficient.

Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Since I am trading in a 21 F150 PowerBoost, I know what you mean about watering down. I see where they saved money, and although the fit and finish is nice... it seems cheap in some areas.
What have they changed/watered down?

RDeFran

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 GMC Sierra 3500HD AT4 SRW Duramax, 2010 M3
Occupation
Technician
First it would be nice to get it. Then within two days I'll decide to either flip it or keep it three yesrs.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Ditto, except first 10 minute reservation. Will be interesting to see - and by that point I will know if the extended 400 mile range is really necessary or if the 320 mile range is sufficient.
I'm first 5min as well...but we have no idea how GM is going to roll out these things. I could not stomach $105k so I did not spring for the RST 1st edition. We'll see what price point the Silverado EV comes out at.

duallyben

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-600, 2021 RAM 5500, 2019 int HV507 4X4
Occupation
self employeed
Once a 1-3 ton truck with 300-400 mile range comes out consider my truck forsale once I get my lightning.
Sponsored