• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How long do you plan on keeping your Lightning?

How many years?

• <= 2 years

• 3 - 6 years

• 6 - 9 years

• 10 - 12 years

• Never getting rid of it....

Results are only viewable after voting.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Unfortunately (if you dont like the styling), this is going to be the future. With EV it's all about aerodynamics. The current ultra box shape of trucks is on its way out. The ONLY reason the Lightning is styled like it is is so they could standardize on the current F-150 chasis.

The Silverado's convertible back seat/window could be a game changer.
To be honest, I'm not sure the whole EV design from the ground up is as great as people seem to think it is.

The f150 competes favorably compared to thd Rivian despite being an ICE design. I do agree the EV specific design gets you slightly more efficiency, but you give up utility and lose on cost. I'm just not sure with trucks/Suvs the tradeoff is worth it
Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
The f150 competes favorably compared to thd Rivian despite being an ICE design. I do agree the EV specific design gets you slightly more efficiency, but you give up utility and lose on cost. I'm just not sure with trucks/Suvs the tradeoff is worth it
Well, the Rivian wasn't designed for highway driving. The Rivian is essentially an off road toy.

They have to design from the ground up for aerodynamics if they want any hope in decent towing range.

Heck, I recently read (on here I think), that your side mirrors can cost up to 10% efficiency...

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Problem is, there are plenty of announced EVs that might be interesting, but it's going to be a long time before you can actually get one and the most desirable ones are going to be very expensive.

But whoever has a 200kWh+ truck with 350kW+ charging rate, that you can actually buy, that is less than $80k.

Economically, these things might be a winner in the long run:
200k miles at 0.25/kWh = $22k
200k miles at 20miles/g and $7/g gas = $70k

If you put enough miles on the Lightning, it could be like getting a free truck after running cost savings. Driving the thing is almost free in places where you get $0.06/kWh charge rates!
Sponsored